not all files showing up in my shared folder

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
i have a shared folder on my downstairs computer running windows 7 64bit rc. For some reason not all my files are showing up in some folders.

At first I noticed just a few not showing up, but now out of 15 files in a folder only one is showing (video files and folders btw), the other folder is something like 93 out of 99 files are showing.

I tried checking all my sharing settings and chaning/restarting multple times with the same result. I just dont get why i can see some files and not others in a shared folder.

Any ideas? Maybe its just not showing any new files?

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
check the security settings of the files in question to determine if you have the right to view them. you can only do this from the local machine where the files are stored/shared.

did you do anything recently that might have changed the configuration/security settings of the files or shared folder?

also make sure your passwords are in sync. did you recently change passwords on one machine but not the other?

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
check the security settings of the files in question to determine if you have the right to view them. you can only do this from the local machine where the files are stored/shared.

did you do anything recently that might have changed the configuration/security settings of the files or shared folder?

also make sure your passwords are in sync. did you recently change passwords on one machine but not the other?

i think i should have access, but i will check.

Havent done anything recently to change anything

i dont have password protected sharing.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
OK so i finally have a chance to troubleshoot this problem.

At first i thought maybe a fresh install of windows would solve the issue (my beta version was up anyway) So i installed windows 7 pro x64 and made sure all my sharing settings on all computers were good. All my computers are part of the same workgroup and all shared folders are accessible to everyone.

I was upstairs on the computer hooked up to my TV and wanted to watch an episode of 24. There are 10 episodes in the folder downstairs but for some reason only episodes 1,4,6,8,9,10 are showing.

I am absolutely baffled at why only some files and folders show and some don't. It seems like whichever were shared when i originally set the folder to be shared show, and anything new wont.

If anyone had any advice at all it would help. Ill try anything. Even if it means i have to start from scratch. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
It seems like whichever were shared when i originally set the folder to be shared show, and anything new wont.
Maybe this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310316

"By default, an object inherits permissions from its parent object, either at the time of creation or when it is copied or moved to its parent folder. The only exception to this rule occurs when you move an object to a different folder on the same volume. In this case, the original permissions are retained."

I'd reset the sharing and security permissions for the folder and make sure the security permissions are propagated to all files and folders below your shared folder (there's a checkbox for this).

Last edited:

Don2737

Oct 5, 2016
Maybe this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310316

"By default, an object inherits permissions from its parent object, either at the time of creation or when it is copied or moved to its parent folder. The only exception to this rule occurs when you move an object to a different folder on the same volume. In this case, the original permissions are retained."

I'd reset the sharing and security permissions for the folder and make sure the security permissions are propagated to all files and folders below your shared folder (there's a checkbox for this).

Thanks for the tip. I was having fits trying to figure out why my eye-fi (wireless wifi card in my camera) would add photos to a shared directory, but the new photos were not visible / accessible from other computers on my home network. All the files that were in the shared directory showed up that were in that directory when I shared it, but the new files only could be viewed from the host computer. Turns out the eye-fi card unloads them to a hidden "spool" directory, and then copies them to the shared directory I designated. Apparently those new files would bring the restricted permissions from their origin directory. Once I shared the hidden "spool" directory, the new files would show up in their final directory since they now brought the share settings from their origin directory. Depending on how you have your network set up you'd likely not encounter this, but mine is a mix of everything from old XP to Windows 10.