Norton AV 2k2 still not really compatible with XP

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Okay, so Symantec claims that Norton AV 2001 isn't compatible with Windows XP. If you try to install it, you get a warning that a DLL isn't compatible and won't work properly. It's "symevent.dll" or something like that, so it's probably not even all that important, probably only needed for logging or for popup warnings or something. I check the Symantec site, and they did create an updated version of the DLL so that people with older versions of NAV could use it with Win2k, but god forbid they do the same thing for XP users who just bought NAV2001 a few months ago.

So rather than complain about it and go without a virus scanner (as I don't like Mcafee or any of the others that I could get free), I go out and get Norton SystemWorks 2002 (only comes out to 10 bucks more than NAV by itself after I send in the rebate). Install it on my home XP machine, everything seems fine.

Then I notice that I can't create a Rescue Disk set. (Not just boot disks, virus scanning rescue disks.) Look all around, can't find any shortcuts or directories related to it, or any icons in NAV itself. Look at the help file, says there should be an icon right at the top of NAV's window. Look in the manual, says it should be there.

So I get to work and have a minute to look for this. Find an article in Symantec's knowledge base saying that Rescue Disks are incompatible with XP due to "limitations and security implications" (also incompatible with NT and Win2k).

What the hell? What security implications? That if one had a bootable virus scanner disk and physical access to the machine you might be able to hack it? (The install disk itself is bootable, but I don't know if it will scan an XP drive.) The only limitation I can think of is if you're using NTFS, since Symantec would have to license an NTFS driver for DOS in order to scan that, but I'm not using NTFS so why not let it work so I can scan FAT32?

Nowhere on the box does it say anything about any parts not being compatible with NT-kernel OSes. Nowhere in the help file does it indicate this is a problem. Nowhere in the manual does it point to this. When I get home I'm going to check over the box to see if it specifically mentions rescue disks or not. If I can't find anything telling me that rescue disks won't work, I'm writing to Symantec to complain. Fine, if they can't make it work because they're lazy or would rather sell one of their other products (they include Roxio's GoBack with SystemWorks, which means they're either paying for it or getting paid), but TELL me about it, don't just let me think that all the features will be available. It doesn't even let you know when you install that any features won't be available.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

<< So I get to work and have a minute to look for this. Find an article in Symantec's knowledge base saying that Rescue Disks are incompatible with XP due to "limitations and security implications" (also incompatible with NT and Win2k). >>

Yep. Same thing if you try to boot with Disk Doctor. And you're right. It doesn't say a thing about it on the box. I can't stand Symantec.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Of course panda is better than Norton. Many antivirus are better than norton crap.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was curious about Panda. I came on here and posted some questions about it a few months back, but no one ever answered me. I wanted to know how it was, and if it was worth the money. I couldn't find the info I was looking for, so I ended up getting E-Trust Anti-virus because it only cost me $5.95. How many people have actually used Panda, and is it really that good? Specifically, how does it work in Windows XP?

hoihtah

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
actually... i'd like to know as well.

what is the best anti-virus software?
i need one right now.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Oddly enough I uninstalled NAV2k2 on my system this morning because it was acting up. I would also like to know how good this software is. :)

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com

<< How many people have actually used Panda, and is it really that good? Specifically, how does it work in Windows XP? >>

I use Panda to monitor my whole company. There is a corporate edition of Panda that makes it very easy to mass update and install the program available.

As far as XP compatibility goes, it works just fine. Runs as a service, and doesn't tax your system at all.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Weird, that link goes to a page that has "expired", and the link on the left menu just goes to the same message. Can't quickly find any links on the home page that can take me to anything like that.

At any rate, at various times all the major antivirus packages have been rated "best" by various magazine, and all of them can show you comparisons where their own package performed better than the others. AV software reviews and comparisons are nearly impossible to just read and accept them. The reason I continue to use Norton is it has always rated well in performance as far as detection, and the interface was better than others (though 2k2 is quite bloated and causes the UI to take longer to load than a scan takes).

I may consider Panda, but I don't know. One problem is the hassle I'll get if I decide to return SystemWorks. I'll uninstall the thing if I decide to return it, but the policy at OfficeMax and most other places is not to accept software returns at all if they're open. However I may be able to get by on the claim that it's defective and doesn't work as advertised, depending on what's written on the box. Unfortunately I'm not able to be a very pushy customer.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
> It's "symevent.dll" or something like that, so it's probably not even all that important, probably only needed for logging or for popup warnings or something. I check the

Actually, that is the realtime monitoring subsystem. It's about as important as a component can get.

> What the hell? What security implications? That if one had a bootable virus scanner disk and physical access to the machine you might be able to hack it? (The install disk itself is bootable, but I don't know if it will scan an XP drive.) The only limitation I can think of is if you're using NTFS, since Symantec would have to license an NTFS driver for DOS in order to scan that, but I'm not using NTFS so why not let it work so I can scan FAT32?

The main issue is around NTFS. Since that is the predominant file system on NT/2K/XP and it isn't supported, the work wasn't done to just support FAT. With the NT/2K/XP memory scanning technology the requirement for a boot disk is greatly lessened.

> Nowhere on the box does it say anything about any parts not being compatible with NT-kernel OSes. Nowhere in the help file does it indicate this is a problem. Nowhere in the manual does it point to this. When I get home I'm going to check over the box to see if it specifically mentions rescue disks or not. If I can't find anything telling me that rescue disks won't work, I'm writing to Symantec to complain. Fine, if they can't make it work because they're lazy or would rather sell one of their other products (they include Roxio's GoBack with SystemWorks, which means they're either paying for it or getting paid), but TELL me about it, don't just let me think that all the features will be available.

For what it's worth, on my behalf I apologize that the restrictions were not clearer. As for writing a letter to Symantec, you just did ;) With your permission I'll forward your comments to the consumer NAV product manager. She's the right person to address and correct this.

> Oddly enough I uninstalled NAV2k2 on my system this morning because it was acting up.

Pulse8, can you send me more details of 'acting up' via pm or email. If there is a problem, I can get the details to the development team for review.

Cheers,
Bill