Northern Californians, Southern Oregonians...

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Work has me flying out to Sacramento in a couple weeks and will spend some time in the Woodland area, along with a trip to Napa Jct and down to the Tracy, CA area for a couple days.

More importantly, though, I'll then drive the rental from Sacramento up to the Roseburg, OR area along I-5. I'll then be in the Roseburg area for a week and a half

I'm a fan of the FoodTv show "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives". I'd like to find some good grub for a couple meals along the way. Open to about any type of food, with the exception of Japanese food, lol. Sushi's fine, but anything else is a big no thanks.

Whatcha got for me??

As info, I also plan on visiting the "Spruce Goose" museum near Portland at the end of the trip :)

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Poor Georges
108 W Oberlin Rd
Yreka, CA 96097
(530) 842-4664

- This is a breakfast / brunch diner, they close at around 2pm ( going from memory ). GREAT Biscuits & Gravy, I reccomend an additional side of patty sausage crumbled up on top ;)

Or if you want a good deli sandwich,

Klander's Deli
211 South Oregon Street
Yreka
CA 96097

Tel: (530)842-3806

Both of these are right off of I-5 within a mile or 2.

I haven't found anything particularly good in Tracy, Ca ( I currently live there) hole in the wall-ish. There is Kinders BBQ, which is OK, however you being from Kansas you will probibly be dissapointed. They don't even serve brisket !

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Awesome! Thanks Yreka. Both great ideas, though I'm not sure I can be in Yreka by 2 pm. If not, I'll go for the Deli.

I believe that we ate at a Wally Burger the last time I was in the Tracy area. Not sure if it's in Tracy or a surrounding area, though. Sound familiar?

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Wally burger.. Oh yeah, its on 11th street I believe. Its an old drive in style place ? It definitely has the diner vibe, but I wasnt terribly impressed with the burgers. It tasted like they used the frozen costco type patties. Still better than fast food though.

If you want a decent to good burger in Tracy, try Nation's Hamburgers. Its a chain type place local to the Bay Area, but they use real good sirloin/chuck beef cooked on a CI grill etc.

Also, if you pass through NCAL too late, there is also a good Mexican Restaurant in Yreka called Casa Ramos. Again, they are a small chain in Northern CA/Southern OR, but the food & Margaritas are so good*. Its right off the freeway, on the last Yreka exit ( going north). You can see it from I5.

*Disclaimer - I prefer "American" Mexican food to Authentic, so YMMV. This place is definately American despite what their website says. ( They use cheese, sour cream, guac, etc)

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Yep, Wally burger's a drive in type. I don't think I had a burger, if I remember right, I had a dog. The garlic fries were awesome, though.

Thanks again for the help, it's funny what a small world AT is :)