North Koreans to Starve to Death

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: charrison
Care to guess how much food aid the US gives NK?
A lot, however it appears to be in a stop-go fashion and right now supplies are drying up. As much as I blame the leadership of NK, I feel for the people who have no say-so in the actions of their gov't.

UN aid is drying up. Says nothing about US aid.

Why don't you provide some numbers then? I'm merely responding to Dari's original premise that we should let the NK people starve. Of course, we do have the ability to help them if we wanted to . . .

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
so what would be the best thing to do? lift sanction against NK for humanitarian reasons and hope they never nuke anyone, or take out kim?

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Nukes for food? :)

sounds like a plan to me.

"ok kim, here is the deal: you give us al you nukes and sanctions are lifted, or your house and the surrounding countryside gets turned into a glass covered parking lot...those million soldiers look nice all lined up like that BTW...

of course china would be a bit of a problem...

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
i say we do a McSassination. end all sanctions, open a mcdonalds on every block and starbucks on ever corner, and Kim Jong will feel the wrath of the Big Mac the same way cheney did. since they lack medical technology he'll be dead by the 2nd transplant

i mean he's already rather tubby

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Remember if we feed the population, in 15 years, they will be the ones ready to stream across the border to attack our boys in South Korea.

The paranoia/attitude/ineptness of their leadership is contributing to the crisis.

They are accusing the US/SK of being ready to wipe them out and the armament is there and intended to protect them.

Seems like a minature USSR.

They realize that the position is untenable and want assistance from the rest of the world over and over again without any cooperation that is requested.

the only difference between them and Iraq is that SK & Japan is within an easy weapons range should a miliatry solution be considered.

Also, the terrain is vastly different, the technology/armour used in Iraq would not be as effective.

China would not want anyone to go in there and clean out the rats nest, however, they are probably getting uncomfortable with a spoiled stepchild continually throwing tantrums.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
For those wondering why we're feeding North Korea, it was to get them back into the NPT. The deal included food, fuel two nuclear reactors(these would be incapable of making nuclear weapons beyond a dirty bomb, but produce much more energy than their current one) and many barrels of oil to replace their Yongbyon reactor(this had to be shut down in order for the deal to work) while the two new ones were being built.

Of course, if you've paid attention to the news over the past couple years, you already know that North Korea has essentially said that they never really stuck to the NPT and continued with their nuclear program.

And since I know some are salivating for it, yes, Clinton signed the original deal.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Dissipate
I really don't understand why the U.S. is feeding its enemy. Let them starve enough to realize that its time to overthrow their government.

When the North Koreans only have 1 news source they will only hear that it is the U.S. and South Korea causing their misery. Why would they overthrow the government that is "trying" to protect them. These people are brainwashed through fear and intimidation. Bogus that the U.S. tries to bail them out? How about leaving a desperate nation with a lunatic leader, a brainwashed population, and lots of weaponry to their own devices?