North Korea promises to scrap nuke program....again

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
North Korea (news - web sites) has offered to scrap its nuclear weapons and its missile exports, U.S. officials and Western diplomats in Beijing said on Monday, but Washington said Pyongyang demanded concessions in return.

This is good news, hopefully a deal can be worked out.....but......
Are all the conservatives going to bash Bush if he does provide NK with their demanded concessions like they did Clinton?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jahawkin
North Korea (news - web sites) has offered to scrap its nuclear weapons and its missile exports, U.S. officials and Western diplomats in Beijing said on Monday, but Washington said Pyongyang demanded concessions in return.

Are all the conservatives going to bash Bush if he does provide NK with their demanded concessions like they did Clinton?

I will

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Not unless he agrees to the deal without some way for us or NK's neighbors to inspect and verify that they are holding up their end of the bargain.

CkG

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare

I will

I will as well.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Nitemare

I will

I will as well.
What concessions, pull out of SK? Sounds good to me. Let the ROK Army deal with the NK's, ther are bad and should be a match for those Dog Eaters in the North. Hell the SK Government is rich enough to arm the ROK Army with enough of ther latest American Technology to anilhlate those Northern pooch pouchers and if they need any help let the Japanese pitch in. They know how to deal with Koreans!

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

I will as well

So, what do you guys suggest we do? As much as we don't want to, isn't a peaceful resolution in everyone's best interest? So what if we work out an agreement with them and maybe lose a bit of face? Would it be better to use a military solution and risk a destabilization of the entire Korean penninsula? Sure..the whole area would be screwed, but at least we could say we didn't cave! Why is it so hard for us to swallow our pride and just get a deal done? Part of settling a dispute is to have both sides compromise a little.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I won't as long as they live up to their end of the deal. Bush has pretty much demonstrated how he handles regimes that fail to live up to their agreements.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
We might cave in real deep this time and give them something real outlandish, like food.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Problem is that it just keeps happening over and over again. We have tried to be conciliatory with the NK since the "end" of the Korean War. It doesnl't work.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Problem is that it just keeps happening over and over again. We have tried to be conciliatory with the NK since the "end" of the Korean War. It doesnl't work.

Instead of just resigning to the fact it won't work, how about doing something different this time to ensure enforcement? Surely there is a way to structure any agreement so that extensive and constant monitoring is in place to ensure compliance, and follow that up with some sort of serious consequences. It may not be the easiest thing to do, but a peaceful resolution is in everyone's best interest...

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I'll hope things work out this time and that things can be handled peacefully.

Problem is I won't hold my breathe expecting N. Korea to actually keep up its end of the bargain, and turning away like the piece of paper saying they won't keep making nukes is going to stop them can only hurt us. Unless we can do something to keep assurance they are keeping their end of the bargain its a waste of time and will only make the U.S. look bad again when it has to be forceful with N. Korea.

I can see it already... the protesters crying "But North Korea agreed to disarm with us, and you don't have proof!" if we take action against N. Korea not fullfilling their end of the bargain.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Another problem that I can see happening is this: NK keeps their part of the deal for a while. Eventually, when they're in a better economic situation and people have forgotten about this crisis, they secretly start up the program again. Then, when the US starts to get wise to what's going on, they just withdraw from the program like nothing happened.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mastertech01
We might cave in real deep this time and give them something real outlandish, like food.

If it keeps them quiet, why not give them food? Do you know how much excess food the government has in warehouses that is spoiling? Tons and tons. If they want fuel and other stuff, forget it. If they want bales of wheat and bushels of apples, fine give it to them.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
If it keeps them quiet, why not give them food?
We did. Along with all the crude oil they could use. In effect we fed their army while they secretly restarted, if they ever stopped, their nuke program.
The only way I'd go for another deal is verifiable disarmament, say half their army, all their ballistic missles, all the nukes, fill the reactors with concrete, permanent on scene oversight. Any, and I mean any backsliding will have immediate serious consequences.

RigorousT

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Insane3D
So, what do you guys suggest we do? As much as we don't want to, isn't a peaceful resolution in everyone's best interest? So what if we work out an agreement with them and maybe lose a bit of face? Would it be better to use a military solution and risk a destabilization of the entire Korean penninsula? Sure..the whole area would be screwed, but at least we could say we didn't cave! Why is it so hard for us to swallow our pride and just get a deal done? Part of settling a dispute is to have both sides compromise a little.
I think we are still trying to split the responsibility with China....

Plus, there's really no way we can prevent him from hiding his nukes regardless of diplomacy. If China plays a greater role, they have presence in the area and can do a better job keeping the pressure on. Also in negotiations, part of the game is muscle flexing. The administration doesn't want to give in to blackmail, as they call it... It's as much about pride for us as it is for them.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I think what happened is they admitted their nuclear program was built of (s)crap and they want to trade it in again, in all it's nonfunctionality, for some brand new food.

We should say, no.

Or should we forget last month when they cried to the rest of the world "we're next" and have to develop a nuclear deterrent force in response to aggresive US pre-emptive policy?

Why are they asking us for help now? Who showed them the footage of the Iraqi people being fed????? That footage was only for American TV you moron....

Looks like they are gonna make us look like the bad guys again, food will be on the way soon, deal with it, hah, damn were pricks.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
A military blockade by the US on the seas and Russia and China on the land. North Koreans will either kill Kim Jong, die from hunger, or flee the country.

Either that or gather intelligence, and duplicate what we did on Iraq..Artillery bombardment on Anti aircraft sites as well as the nuclear reactors and the supposed locations of their nuclear missiles. Then drop daisy cutters on any troops that enter the DMZ...

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
A military blockade by the US on the seas and Russia and China on the land. North Koreans will either kill Kim Jong, die from hunger, or flee the country.

Or as a last gasp tactic when backed into a corner, Kim Jong will launch nukes at SK, Japan, and maybe even our west coast. When is any animal most dangerous? When backed into a corner. How do you think SK and/or Japan getting nuked would affect the global economy? Sure we could take them out after, but then the damage would be done.

Regardless..do you really think the world would go along with that and just let the all the civilians of that country die of starvation? You think China and Russia would help us out in that? Come on man...think a little first.

Either that or gather intelligence, and duplicate what we did on Iraq..Artillery bombardment on Anti aircraft sites as well as the nuclear reactors and the supposed locations of their nuclear missiles. Then drop daisy cutters on any troops that enter the DMZ...

Oh yeah...our great intelligence. So what if we miss a few spots....we get nukes launched... Iraq and NK are two totally different animals...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Why the hell should we deal with these imbiciles?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Originally posted by: mastertech01

If it keeps them quiet, why not give them food? Do you know how much excess food the government has in warehouses that is spoiling? Tons and tons. If they want fuel and other stuff, forget it. If they want bales of wheat and bushels of apples, fine give it to them.

Where do you think most of that food would go? I'll give you a hint: there are about a million N. Koreans in it right now.

Loralon

Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Insane3D

Or as a last gasp tactic when backed into a corner, Kim Jong will launch nukes at SK, Japan, and maybe even our west coast. When is any animal most dangerous? When backed into a corner. How do you think SK and/or Japan getting nuked would affect the global economy? Sure we could take them out after, but then the damage would be done.

Regardless..do you really think the world would go along with that and just let the all the civilians of that country die of starvation? You think China and Russia would help us out in that? Come on man...think a little first.

Suppose that North Korea does take the more dangerous route of continuing their uranium enrichment program, spent fuel rod reprocessing and subsequently producing even more nuclear weapons. An improbable hypothetical, but considering your scenario of North Korea launching a first strike against South Korea, Japan, or the U.S., this isn't so outlandish is it? Regardless, what would your response be to North Korea continuing to head down that road and becoming a full fledged nuclear power?