North Korea nuclear test feared after earthquake detected

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'm confused as to why you are even commenting on this topic. Didn't you learn your lesson from the last time you were exposed as a charlatan and a know-nothing regarding North Korea? I distinctly recall you being "sure" that they had no ability to miniaturize a nuke. Before that you were "sure" they couldn't build an ICBM capable of reaching US mainland. There were other things you were wrong about (you are wrong about almost everything related to world politics) but I don't recall them specifically.

What made you think you learned something new about north korea? Did you watch a CNN segment this morning and decide you'd inform us all about your new knowledge about pakistan and "freelance ex soviet techs and scientists" and their program to defeat the DPRK?

Forreal dude... you sound like a bloviating 12 year old boy.

You didn't learn after your last vacation.
How are those super duper subs doing?

Everything I explained is easily learned, well by some. It's no challenge for the sane and technically competent person who knows a bit of history.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I see China as fully funding and assisting North Korea with their Nuclear weapons program.

They are using it as a bargaining tool with the US. "Say US! We will help you with North Korea a little bit if you stay out of our way in the South China Sea and trade shenanigans..."

China knows who the real cause of the problems is in NK relations (the US) and isn't going to be manipulated into being another US stooge like Japan or worse, South Korea. They also know north korea would never attack the US pre-emptively even if they had nuclear ICBMs.

So the Chinese have allowed the North Koreans to develop ICBMs because it secures the DPRK from another possible US invasion and it doesn't threaten them. The US has stupidly used its client states to antagonize the DPRK and china for decades and they've had enough. It basically is coming down to either the US removes its forces from South Korea and vacates its position of being the protector of Japan and SK or face the possibility of nuclear war.

I think the US will back down, as it always does with North Korea. The US knows it would lose tens of thousands of troops and kill millions of north and south koreans if it tried to press the issue. It's actually quite hilarious because it's all Trump's fault... if it wasn't for the possibility of nuclear war it would be the funniest thing ever.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
You didn't learn after your last vacation.
How are those super duper subs doing?

Everything I explained is easily learned, well by some. It's no challenge for the sane and technically competent person who knows a bit of history.

Lol can't even address the topic huh? You explained nothing, dumbass. How does it feel being completely wrong over and over again? You said yourself that they would never launch and ICBM that could hit the US and they did. Why do you know so little about this topic but talk so much?

I'm also quite curious about these Pakistani ex-soviet techs and their project to stop the bomb. Tell us more Timmy!

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Lol can't even address the topic huh? You explained nothing, dumbass. How does it feel being completely wrong over and over again? You said yourself that they would never launch and ICBM that could hit the US and they did. Why do you know so little about this topic but talk so much?

I'm also quite curious about these Pakistani ex-soviet techs and their project to stop the bomb. Tell us more Timmy!

Wow I never triggered anyone quite like you before. It's kind of fun in a way. You know I would appreciate it of you could find these words. "NK will never launch an ICBM that will strike the US". Note the word "never".

But let's assume you are a NK agent with a hotline to NK. At this moment does Kim have the ability to hit the US with a nuclear weapon?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
They are the world's biggest toll maybe we should treat them as such?

/Ignore North Korea

I initially missed this part-
I'm also quite curious about these Pakistani ex-soviet techs and their project to stop the bomb.

He didn't understand that this looks like the work those people, and nowhere was a "project to stop" To be found.

At least sling good mud.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
After seeing all of this I was just wondering how long it will take Dodge to name a new model after the Fire and Fury statement? This one would be a naturally aspirated small displacement 4 cylinder that would be all bark and no bite that might possibly threaten a Tuk Tuk's 0-40 times.:p Wait they already have one called a Journey so they could just rename it.:D

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
They are the world's biggest toll maybe we should treat them as such?

/Ignore North Korea

I 100% agree they are trolling the US (and China) angling to get Kim talks with the US and our troops off the peninsula. At this point I don't know if you leave them alone or not, there's not a good solution really.

If we do leave him alone now while he has a less that 1 mt nuke and unreliable missile tech, what happens in 5 years when he has a castle bravo sized nuke and more of them coupled with more reliable ICBM's and he's still trolling? And this whole time one wrong move on either side (soldier accidentally fires his gun or something) and all of the calculus goes out the window and it spirals out of control quickly.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
At this moment does Kim have the ability to hit the US with a nuclear weapon?

(I know that the question wasn't addressed to me but...) Given the speed of development in NK I think that it would be folly to assume that they don't now (or will have very soon) the means to hit the US mainland with a nuclear weapon. They are obviously using all their resources to accelerate this process as much as possible and as it's already a known process (to make an intercontinental nuclear weapon delivery system) they aren't working from first principles here.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
(I know that the question wasn't addressed to me but...) Given the speed of development in NK I think that it would be folly to assume that they don't now (or will have very soon) the means to hit the US mainland with a nuclear weapon. They are obviously using all their resources to accelerate this process as much as possible and as it's already a known process (to make an intercontinental nuclear weapon delivery system) they aren't working from first principles here.

It does seem likely and it's now a reasonable concern. This is real now.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Is this the moment the US needs to tell the world "no more nuclear proliferation, whatever the cost"?
And by tell I mean by annihilating North Korea.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Whatever happened to the US CIA taking someone out. As in removing Kim Jong Un Permanently. End of story.

Reactions: Thebobo

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Whatever happened to the US CIA taking someone out. As in removing Kim Jong Un Permanently. End of story.

To quote Jesse Ventura in Predator: Son of a bitch is dug in like an Alabama tick.

He's neigh untouchable without some unprecedented cloak and dagger shit.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

I still question what long game that gets them. They make a strike like that and it's over. Fire and fury. Shock and awe. Whatever biblical reference you want to use. We'll hit them with every measure available and leave them to rubble. Yes, there will be mass casualties, but NK as we know it would be uninhabitable for the next who many knows decades. For what gain?

Reactions: Ns1

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
For what gain?
Infamy, Post-political support(Nu-communism-etc), make relations from other nations hostile against the United States.

North Korea is the only successful communistic state to achieve beyond 1984 status.

The only action to get rid of anti-human (rights) commie scum is full military invasions. It is time to throw down that "Never again" commitment. The free world needs to police the not-so free world or commit to converting third world countries into first world countries.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I wonder if apple has a crack team of mercenaries led by john clarke ready to parachute into china and seize a foxconn plant or two if shit goes sideways? The iphone 8 must flow.

Personally I don't think anything significant will happen other than china consolidating it's ability to project a massive amount of military force at short notice into one of the world's most strategic waterways.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007

Send in Dennis Rodman. Have him sleep with Kim Jong Un's wife and infect her with multi-drug resistant gonorrhea (or 3 way if Un gets down like that). If Un gets infected, we can trade denuclearization for experimental antibiotics.

Reactions: jayzds