• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

North Korea has their missile on the launch pad

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
This international diplomacy stuff is hard work.. its going to take time.. If it were easy we would have had done already. :roll:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I am guessing right now that the US will not try and take this out, regardless of what its path is. Japan maybe, but unless confidence is absolute about efficacy, the US will be too embarrassing to miss, I think. I'd like to see the attempt, though, how exciting!

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I am guessing right now that the US will not try and take this out, regardless of what its path is. Japan maybe, but unless confidence is absolute about efficacy, the US will be too embarrassing to miss, I think. I'd like to see the attempt, though, how exciting!
If it looks to be on a ballistic trajectory I'd lay money on the JMSDF/USN taking shots at it and if it gets past that using the mid-course interceptors.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: K1052
If it looks to be on a ballistic trajectory I'd lay money on the JMSDF/USN taking shots at it and if it gets past that using the mid-course interceptors.
I have to disagree. The only intercept that might take place is if the missile breaks apart or goes off course and is a danger to mainland Japan or (remotely possible) the US. Otherwise, Japan and the US will montor the flight characteristics and other telemetry.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: dphantom
Originally posted by: K1052
I have to disagree. The only intercept that might take place is if the missile breaks apart or goes off course and is a danger to mainland Japan or (remotely possible) the US. Otherwise, Japan and the US will montor the flight characteristics and other telemetry.
This agrees with that sentiment.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Well, it looks like the NK are starting the fueling process. It should take about 48 hours or so. At that point, they can keep the missile on the launch pad another 72 hours give or take which puts them in the April 4-8 window.

Link

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I do enjoy your analogy but so far the US missile tests have been heavily scripted. If the US can take out a missile from NK it would be hugely meaningful.

If UN is going to have a resolution it should do it soon, as this missile could launch this month, not just after April 4. Why go based on when NK says it's going to launch? If you trust them on that, trust them on the satellite. It makes no sense.
And potentially quite embarassing if we tried and failed, which is a distinct possibility. ;)

artikk

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2004
It's the same trend that was with the iranian enrichment incident. One side claims peaceful testing/experimentation/Rand D and the other jumps on the worst case scenario and denounces its opponent according to it with NO CLEAR EVIDENCE for either scenario from either side.

mozirry

Sep 18, 2006
I am picturing a satelite that emits a hilarious cartoony put-put-put sound with smoke exiting from the back, with all sorts of crazy rusty metal pieces everywhere

Bitek

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2001
I'm a Dem and a Obamanaut and I say fuck it, shoot it down. I'm tired of these little fuckers and their games. Japan sure as shit wouldn't be mad.
"I Kim Jong IL.. gimme rice or I start my reactor!!!"
"I Kim Jong IL.. gimme money or I set off shitty nuke that doesn't work!!!"
"I Kim Jong IL.. gimme booze or I start my reactor again!!!"

Just don't fucking miss and make us look like idiots. And don't be pussies and shoot it down w/ covert shit and then deny the whole thing. Draw a line and let them cross it.

It comes to a time where you gotta say fuck you guys. If it was Bush, then no way we could get away with it. Obama is golden boy right now, and the only people who would get really pissed are the ones who are chronically burning our flag anyway.
We just sent more drones into beloved patriot and bombed people there after repeatedly being told by beloved patriot to stop. I fail to see how this is worse.
What are they going to do? Just eat cock that's what.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
This would be a good field test for those laser equipped 747s we are building.

We might be able to take the missile out without them even knowing we did it.
That's HIGHLY unlikely. It amazes me how cavalier everyone here is about creating a major international incident. Yay, so we get to test our weapons and rattle our saber at North Korea. I haven't the slightest clue how that is worth it.
IF we can take the missile out without leaving any evidence would you suggest we do so??
The airborne laser would fire a Chemical Oxygen Iodine Laser, or COIL, invented at Phillips Lab in 1977. The laser's fuel consists of the same chemicals found in hair bleach and Drano - hydrogen peroxide and potassium hydroxide - which are then combined with chlorine gas and water. The laser operates at an infrared wavelength of 1.315 microns, which is invisible to the eye.
youtube link
I am not sure if the system is operational though.
Hells yeah we should. :) Would be great if the missile exploded on the launchpad though. Would be about the best possible outcome.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: extra
[

Hells yeah we should. :) Would be great if the missile exploded on the launchpad though. Would be about the best possible outcome.
They would claim that somehow the USA sabotaged the launch.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Are they still on schedule to launch today? I haven't seen any updates, but then again, I haven't scoured for any either :D

ASK THE COMMUNITY