• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

North Korea Going To Test Nuclear Bomb

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
7,451
0
0
They are really going to piss off South Korea and Japan, but hey we've got the EU to help us right? :disgust:
 

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
15,776
392
126
North Korea Going To Test Nuclear Bomb On Foxnews.com?

Seems like a good use of a nuke to me. ;)
 

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
11,631
1
0
Why would Fox News bring up something like this, now?

It's not like there's something they would like to draw attention from, is there?
 

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
42,599
4
0
Link - From AP
SEOUL (AP) ? North Korea said Tuesday it will conduct a nuclear test in the face of what it claimed was "the U.S. extreme threat of a nuclear war," ratcheting up tensions amid international pressure to return to negotiations on its atomic program.
The United States said it would raise the latest statement in a U.N. Security Council meeting, and South Korea raised its security level.

"The government has taken measures to strengthen the security level in relation to the North Korea nuclear test, and has begun discussions with related countries," South Korea's presidential office said in a statement after an emergency meeting.

The statement from Pyongyang gave no precise date as to when a test might occur.

"The DPRK will in the future conduct a nuclear test in a condition where safety is firmly guaranteed," the North's Foreign Ministry said in a statement, using its official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

In an early-morning interview with The Associated Press, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, John Bolton, said the U.S. would bring up North Korea's statement for discussion Tuesday morning in a regular meeting of the U.N. Security Council.

"A nuclear test by North Korea would be extraordinarily serious," Bolton said. "The threat is serious enough that we're certainly going to take this action in the council this morning, by raising it."

Pyongyang has said it has nuclear weapons, but has not conducted any known test to prove its claim. South Korea's spy agency has said the North could test a nuclear bomb at any time.

"The U.S. extreme threat of a nuclear war and sanctions and pressure compel the DPRK to conduct a nuclear test, an essential process for bolstering nuclear deterrent, as a self-defense measure in response," said the statement carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.

China, North Korea's neighbor, ally and chief benefactor, had no immediate comment.

Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso called the North's nuclear test plans "totally unforgivable," and said Japan would react "sternly" if the North conducted the tests, according to Kyodo News agency.

In Finland, European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana said such a test "is always bad news."

Multilateral talks on North Korea's nuclear program have been stalled for almost a year, with Pyongyang boycotting the six-nation talks in protest over U.S. financial restrictions imposed for its alleged illegal activity, including money laundering and counterfeiting.

Efforts to bring the North back to negotiations have taken on added urgency after the communist nation test-fired seven missiles in July, including one believed to be capable of reaching the United States.

Reports have also suggested the North might conduct a nuclear test, citing suspicious activity at a possible underground test site. Many experts believe the North has enough radioactive material to build at least a half-dozen or more nuclear weapons.

The North said Tuesday its ultimate goal is "to settle hostile relations between the DPRK and the U.S. and to remove the very source of all nuclear threats from the Korean Peninsula and its vicinity," accusing the U.S. of posing a nuclear threat in the region.

The North, however, said it will "never use nuclear weapons first and strictly prohibit any threat of nuclear weapons and nuclear transfer."

Charles Kartman, who was the lead negotiator with North Korea under the Clinton administration, said last week that North Korea had few other options than saber-rattling.

"If they feel they are not getting interaction with us, they tend to do things to get our attention. And the tools that they have are all bad ones," he said. "The missiles, the nuclear program, the military."
 

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
35,195
8,516
136
I have a hard time taking them seriously since bellicose bids for publicity are about the only ways NK knows how to get attention.

If they really did test any hope of concessions from the US would go straight down the toilet. SK and Japan would be driven into even deeper strategic alliances with the US including an explicit guarantee of nuclear reprisal against NK should they attack either country with their arsenal. The US, SK, and Japan would also likely terminate all remaining aid programs and strangle any remaining sea trade.

 

chcarnage

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
1,751
0
0
Originally posted by: Aimster
Well they owned the world.

Bravo.
They made a press release that stated that they own the world. There's no reason yet to put more credibility in this than in other statements of the regime.

Originally posted by: ayabe
They are really going to piss off South Korea and Japan, but hey we've got the EU to help us right? :disgust:
How's the EU involved here? If you look for an answer why the Six-Party Talks stagnate so often, search in the ranks of the other participants.

I'm really wondering what the other permanent members of the UN Security council will say about the press release.
 

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
17,183
60
91
It is hard to imagine that there is enough open ground in North Korea to test a Nuclear Device. You can drive from the Border with North Korea to the Southern tip in a few hours. The entire peninsula is probably smaller than Florida.

This is going to make the USA and South Korea very nervous. Basically North Korea is a very dangerous place. The border is only about 24 miles from Seoul, South Korea. We still have lots of People in harms way if North Korea attacks South Korea.

If I was the President, I would tell Bejing that if North Korea ever uses a Nuclear Weapon, they can expect a full Scale Nuclear Attack. I say force China To deal with this threat. It is one thing to have a nuclear bomb and it is another to have a way to actually deliver one with pin point accuracy. I could see one of their missles going off course and landing in China or Japan quite Easily.

I wonder what Japan thinks about this?

For all we know there may be US built tactical nuclear rounds in the hands of our troops in South Korea.
 

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
20,212
633
126
Originally posted by: BDawg
Why would Fox News bring up something like this, now?

It's not like there's something they would like to draw attention from, is there?
lol @ Fox News comment :D "OMG ANOTHER FOX NEWS CONSPIRACY!!!

(oh wait...it's on AP and Routers too)
 

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
7,451
0
0
Originally posted by: chcarnage
Originally posted by: Aimster
Well they owned the world.

Bravo.
They made a press release that stated that they own the world. There's no reason yet to put more credibility in this than in other statements of the regime.

Originally posted by: ayabe
They are really going to piss off South Korea and Japan, but hey we've got the EU to help us right? :disgust:
How's the EU involved here? If you look for an answer why the Six-Party Talks stagnate so often, search in the ranks of the other participants.

I'm really wondering what the other permanent members of the UN Security council will say about the press release.
1.They're not, which is part of the problem. They've totally backed down on Iran, I don't look for them to help the US at all with Korea either.

2. China will say nothing, Russia will follow China. Same as always.

 

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
12,366
470
126
If Kim Jong Il really cared about intimidating the countries around him he would have just tested the thing and took the flak. He's been run out of the front page lately and wants some attention but nobody believes his crap anymore so there probably wont be much of a response from anyone.
 

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
20,212
633
126
Originally posted by: chcarnage
Originally posted by: Aimster
Well they owned the world.

Bravo.
They made a press release that stated that they own the world. There's no reason yet to put more credibility in this than in other statements of the regime.

Originally posted by: ayabe
They are really going to piss off South Korea and Japan, but hey we've got the EU to help us right? :disgust:
How's the EU involved here? If you look for an answer why the Six-Party Talks stagnate so often, search in the ranks of the other participants.

I'm really wondering what the other permanent members of the UN Security council will say about the press release.
Who cares what the UN council thinks? WTF could they possibly do? Issue an order saying YOU MUST NOT TEST NUKES! OR ELSE! haha I think we all know what countries think about UN comments like this...
 

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
29,505
3,008
126
It?s a shame that we were rewarding their nuclear development in the 90?s, before they had weapons and when we could have done something short of nuclear war.

Although I could understand such a failure on our part if China was threatening to protect their rabid pet dog.
 

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Administrator
Oct 9, 1999
35,052
28
86
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
North Korea Going To Test Nuclear Bomb On Foxnews.com?

Seems like a good use of a nuke to me. ;)
QFT! :laugh:
 

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
1,558
0
76
Originally posted by: piasabird
It is hard to imagine that there is enough open ground in North Korea to test a Nuclear Device. You can drive from the Border with North Korea to the Southern tip in a few hours. The entire peninsula is probably smaller than Florida.
They test them over international waters, I thought. Or really high in the air.
 

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
6,139
51
91
Originally posted by: Aisengard
Originally posted by: piasabird
It is hard to imagine that there is enough open ground in North Korea to test a Nuclear Device. You can drive from the Border with North Korea to the Southern tip in a few hours. The entire peninsula is probably smaller than Florida.
They test them over international waters, I thought. Or really high in the air.
I thought those kinds of tests were banned...oh wait...they can do what they want.
 

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
2,366
0
0
Hmmm, so this is how WW3 will start. I always figured that it would start in the middle east.

Prediction: NK tests bomb. Japan reacts with defense forces skirmishing against NK forces in open water. China, openly against Japan, retaliates. Now the PRC and NK stand as one against Japan. Japan rapidly militarizes and prepares forces for battle. China openly invades disputed islands. Japan retaliates.

US joins forces with Japan. BOOM, WW3 has begun.
 

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
54,908
44
91
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: J0hnny
Hmmm, so this is how WW3 will start. I always figured that it would start in the middle east.

Prediction: NK tests bomb. Japan reacts with defense forces skirmishing against NK forces in open water. China, openly against Japan, retaliates. Now the PRC and NK stand as one against Japan. Japan rapidly militarizes and prepares forces for battle. China openly invades disputed islands. Japan retaliates.

US joins forces with Japan. BOOM, WW3 has begun.
Are you the WOPR?
 

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
15,582
1
76
Originally posted by: K1052
I have a hard time taking them seriously since bellicose bids for publicity are about the only ways NK knows how to get attention.

If they really did test any hope of concessions from the US would go straight down the toilet. SK and Japan would be driven into even deeper strategic alliances with the US including an explicit guarantee of nuclear reprisal against NK should they attack either country with their arsenal. The US, SK, and Japan would also likely terminate all remaining aid programs and strangle any remaining sea trade.
:thumbsup:
 

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
7,451
0
0
Originally posted by: J0hnny
Hmmm, so this is how WW3 will start. I always figured that it would start in the middle east.

Prediction: NK tests bomb. Japan reacts with defense forces skirmishing against NK forces in open water. China, openly against Japan, retaliates. Now the PRC and NK stand as one against Japan. Japan rapidly militarizes and prepares forces for battle. China openly invades disputed islands. Japan retaliates.

US joins forces with Japan. BOOM, WW3 has begun.


Actually it's:

1. NK Tests Bomb

2. Japan unleashes Godzilla on Kim and his high heel collection.

3. China unleashes Mothra, because they don't believe in copyright laws.

4. US bans all imports from China.

5. Chinese economy collapses

6. Walmart goes bankrupt.

7. RaptureReady retards commit mass suicide.


I think my timeline is at least as plausible as yours.
 

eilute

Senior member
Jun 1, 2005
477
0
0
I'm not sure why they want to test their nukes. Those things are so expensive.

I would think they would be a deterrent even if they were not tested. I suppose the testing might just be in defiance to U.S. pressure, but it's impossible for me to say.

OT:

If read the thread index page quickly it looks like it says:

North Korea Going To Apraoch Living Wage
Walmart To Test Nuclear Bomb
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY