North Carolina: Illegals, you can have drivers licenses but only if they are pink

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Immigrants come here for all sorts of reasons, with many coming here for a better life, having next to nothing to do with law breaking. When you're poor and uneducated as an immigrant it's hard to hold you to the high standard you tards attempt to place on them as if they were fortunate enough to be born here like us.

And by high standard you mean like expecting them not to illegally cross international borders? I mean who doesn't "accidently" go walking through miles of desert

Also, apparently around 1/2 of illegal immigrants are a result of visa overstays. So apparently they don't understand dates either.

I mean, wow, you really have a low opinion of the intelligence of illegal immigrants huh?

Get a grip on reality, native-born U.S. citizens by their very nature won the lottery. Immigrants that come here by any means are simply doing their best to make a better life for themselves. It's a very capitalist quality.

So if a poor teenager say steals you car you have no problem with that? I mean they are just doing their best to make a better life for themselves right?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Legal status is extraordinarily complicated and no one at the DMV is qualified enough to make that judgement call. It's the DMV, you'd have to spend billions hiring and outfitting DMV's with employees with that experience and skillset, usually reserved to the INS. It would be an asinine waste of money. The practical reality is that because there already are people here illegally, and they're not going to be deported no matter what (except in extreme cases), it's entirely logical that they be given legal driver's licenses instead of simply pretending they won't drive illegally. That way they may be able to apply for insurance (I don't know, someone with experience can chime in on that one) and would use that ID for all sorts of other benefits (hell, maybe they could be taxed). And hell, if they want to add "NOT U.S. CITIZEN" on it, then I don't see a problem with that right off the bat. That's a minor issue compared to the obvious need to give them driver's licenses.

BS.

All the DMV has to do is require a birth certificate for the person, US passport, Alien registration card (Green Card) or other passport with a legal visa.

It is their state, their rules.

Some states will honor other states DL
IF THOSE STATES have a verification program as described above.

There is no need to give them a license/approval for being illegal.
It may be a major inconvenience for the illegal, but there is such as car pooling, mass transit, public transit, etc.

why reward them for illegal activities.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
BS.

All the DMV has to do is require a birth certificate for the person, US passport, Alien registration card (Green Card) or other passport with a legal visa.

It may be a major inconvenience for the illegal, but there is such as car pooling, mass transit, public transit, etc.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/IdentificationRequirements_English.pdf

They already do require that. I mean how does he think states are prohibiting illegal aliens from getting driver's licenses now? ^_^

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
States right issue.
Immigration status is a federal issue.
Driving on North Carolina roads is a state issue.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
You enter the united states legally.
You get a job in North Carolina. You pay taxes, you obey all laws.
There is an issue with your visa\it expires\Company sponsoring you goes under.
You are now classified as an illegal immigrant

You have been a citizen on North Carolina in good standing however you are now violating Federal civil law.

Should North Carolina enforce federal law through State MV law?

Should drivers license be dependent on adherence to ALL federal civil law?

I personally believe states have a right to declare who can be a citizen of the state. If Maine decides anyone living in Maine for more than 15 years is now a citizen of Maine and therefore a citizen on the United States, I'm fine with that.

If Arizona decides that violation of Federal immigration law = state law then I'm ok with that too.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Thats a great sob story and all, still doesn't justify breaking the law. But it does not surprise me you are willing to ignore it in an attempt to rationalize.

It's telling you didn't attempt to refute any of it.

If this is what you have to tell yourself to keep your confidence up, I'm all for it! lol

See above; telling you can't refute the analogy.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
BS.

You're dense and out of touch. No DMV has the capability (as of yet) to perform the functions of the INS. It IS extraordinarily complicated, I personally know of a former INS agent who dealt with immigrant's expired visa's who WERE therefore illegal for a period of time but were perfectly productive, contributing Americans that have been here since childhood. Many of them making the (in hindsight, poor) decision to fear approaching the INS for fear of deportation. Their visa's expired, NOTHING more. They got their original work visa legally like anyone else. Their poor decisions should be punished with other means (longer wait times, fees, etc.) not by denying them driver's licenses or the tarded deportation meme.

It's not rewarding them, and even if it were, your alternative (do nothing, deport, etc.) is shitty and not taken seriously by anyone well informed.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
And by high standard you mean like expecting them not to illegally cross international borders? I mean who doesn't "accidently" go walking through miles of desert

Also, apparently around 1/2 of illegal immigrants are a result of visa overstays. So apparently they don't understand dates either.

I mean, wow, you really have a low opinion of the intelligence of illegal immigrants huh?

So if a poor teenager say steals you car you have no problem with that? I mean they are just doing their best to make a better life for themselves right?

Not all illegal activity is created equal. Otherwise I'd deport you for the jaywalking you did last week.

And shouldn't you be beating your sister or something?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You're dense and out of touch. No DMV has the capability (as of yet) to perform the functions of the INS. It IS extraordinarily complicated,

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/IdentificationRequirements_English.pdf

You do realize they are already checking legal status before issuing DL's right?

I mean how do you think DMVs refuse to issue them to illegal immigrants now?

I personally know of a former INS agent who dealt with immigrant's expired visa's who WERE therefore illegal for a period of time but were perfectly productive, contributing Americans that have been here since childhood. Many of them making the (in hindsight, poor) decision to fear approaching the INS for fear of deportation. Their visa's expired, NOTHING more. They got their original work visa legally like anyone else.

And when your visa is up you are suppose to leave. If you rent a car for a week and then don't return it what happens to you? Same idea.

Their poor decisions should be punished with other means (longer wait times, fees, etc.) not by denying them driver's licenses or the tarded deportation meme.

So violating immigration laws by overstaying your visa shouldn't require them to leave the country? You know the thing they were suppose to do when there visa expired.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
BS.

You're dense and out of touch. No DMV has the capability (as of yet) to perform the functions of the INS. It IS extraordinarily complicated, I personally know of a former INS agent who dealt with immigrant's expired visa's who WERE therefore illegal for a period of time but were perfectly productive, contributing Americans that have been here since childhood. Many of them making the (in hindsight, poor) decision to fear approaching the INS for fear of deportation. Their visa's expired, NOTHING more. They got their original work visa legally like anyone else. Their poor decisions should be punished with other means (longer wait times, fees, etc.) not by denying them driver's licenses or the tarded deportation meme.

It's not rewarding them, and even if it were, your alternative (do nothing, deport, etc.) is shitty and not taken seriously by anyone well informed.

The DMV does not need to perform the actions of the INS

All they have to do is require verification by providing requested documentation.

Do not have it - no DL. Period. works great for some states; just take political will by the citizens

Take it up with the Feds if you can not prove that you are legally in the country.

I do not care about the alternatives;
They knowingly broke the Federal law; they have to accept the consequences; were they captured and dragged across the border? If so, then they should have no issues on returning.

Millions spend years trying to enter legally; no one should jump the line because they exploited a flaw in the system.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
The DMV does not need to perform the actions of the INS

All they have to do is require verification by providing requested documentation.

Do not have it - no DL. Period. works great for some states; just take political will by the citizens

Take it up with the Feds if you can not prove that you are legally in the country.

I do not care about the alternatives;
They knowingly broke the Federal law; they have to accept the consequences; were they captured and dragged across the border? If so, then they should have no issues on returning.

Millions spend years trying to enter legally; no one should jump the line because they exploited a flaw in the system.

You're confused; no one here is arguing the DMV can't check legal status via driver's licenses (which, of course, doesn't prove anything regarding legal status, since it isn't cut and dry and is, again, why the INS exists). I'm arguing they can't perform the functions of the INS, which some in this thread have claimed non-INS state workers should be doing to root out "the illegals".

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You're confused; no one here is arguing the DMV can't check legal status via driver's licenses (which, of course, doesn't prove anything regarding legal status, since it isn't cut and dry and is, again, why the INS exists). I'm arguing they can't perform the functions of the INS, which some in this thread have claimed non-INS state workers should be doing to root out "the illegals".

They don't have to. All they are doing is change from a system where before if you couldn't provide documentation of your legal status you were refused a DL to one where you get a special pink DL.

It really isn't that complicated.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Oh thats so telling! You don't even believe illegals are illegals! What a fucking dope! HAHA

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, they do. That's why the INS exists (well actually it's called USCIS now). Otherwise people would go to the DMV to become U.S. citizens, lol.

The NC law would not require the DMV to perform any function they are not already doing.

Under current law you need proof of lawful residency to obtain an unencumbered license. This will still be the case.

Under current law if you cannot prove lawful residency you are denied a DL. Under the new law you will be given a DL which clearly states you were unable to prove lawful residency.

The DMV never has or will deport people or grant citizenship.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Refute any of it. Come on, be brave.

I did refute it. Expecting people not to cross international borders illegally or overstay visas is not a "high standard" to expect of people.

In fact if a "person" cannot meet even that basic standard I question whether they should even be referred to as a person. It seems what you are really arguing is that illegals are more akin to dogs than people and therefore cannot be held accountable for their actions.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

How is denying a license to one that can not provide proof of legal residence usurping or perform funtikns of the INS.

The DMV is not asking why or how. They are asking can you provide proof if legal status.