North Carolina Governor Vetoes Bill That Would Have Required Sheriffs To Cooperate With ICE

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I personally like this guy!! This guy has his head on straight!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-carolina-sheriffs-ice-bill-veto-231126507.html
North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, on Wednesday vetoed a bill that would have required sheriffs in the state to work closely with federal immigration officials seeking to identify undocumented immigrants.

HB 370 cleared the state Senate in June, and the state House of Representatives passed the bill on Tuesday. Among other things, the measure would have directed authorities to determine the legal status of anyone taken into custody for a criminal offense. If a prisoner’s citizenship or legal status could not be determined, authorities would be required to tell Immigration and Customs Enforcement or the Department of Homeland Security.

Under the bill, state authorities also would have been required to comply with ICE and DHS requests to interview prisoners. Sheriffs or police officers who failed to do so could have been removed from office.

Cooper on Wednesday called the legislation “unconstitutional” and evidence of “partisan political pandering.”

“This bill, in addition to being unconstitutional, weakens law enforcement in North Carolina by mandating sheriffs to do the job of federal agents, using local resources that could hurt their ability to protect their counties,” Cooper said in a statement posted to his Twitter account.
Cooper’s veto comes two months after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, signed a similar bill prohibiting local governments from enacting “sanctuary” polices and requiring state law enforcement agencies to comply with ICE.

“Sanctuary cities basically create law-free zones where people can come to our state illegally and our country illegally, commit criminal offenses and then just walk right out the door and continue to do it,” DeSantis said at the time. “In Florida, that will not happen.”

DeSantis’s remarks roughly echoed the sentiments of President Donald Trump and other critics who say sanctuary cities endanger public safety.

The term “sanctuary city” has been defined in various ways but generally refers to jurisdictions that limit their compliance with federal immigration authorities in order to foster trust between residents and law enforcement, thus keeping communities safer. Some sanctuary cities bar local police officers from asking about immigration status, while others have refused to turn over undocumented immigrants being held in local jails to federal officials.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Let's just all submit our power from Dog Catcher to Governor to the Feds. That would certainly not end as an overbearing oppressive Dictatorship...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He's the only person with the (very thin) power to stop NC from completely descending into Alabama territory. And honestly, this current situation was a near-impossibility only 3 years ago.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I had thought that cooperation among the various law enforcement agency's was a given.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It seems that this issue of illegal immigrants for some reason is a hot topic! I wonder why??

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
It seems that this issue of illegal immigrants for some reason is a hot topic! I wonder why??

It's summer... maybe white people are jealous of their higher resistance to skin cancer. It also could be that they are jealous of their beautiful, naturally tanned, healthy looking skin when compared to their pasty white thin-skinned hides that turn red and blister in the sun.

Mar 11, 2004
It's summer... maybe white people are jealous of their higher resistance to skin cancer. It also could be that they are jealous of their beautiful, naturally tanned, healthy looking skin when compared to their pasty white thin-skinned hides that turn red and blister in the sun.

This is oddly prophetic (of Turmp supporters):

When I'm out walking, I strut my stuff
Yeah, and I'm so strung out
I'm high as a kite, I just might
Stop to check you out

[Chorus]
Let me go on
Like I blister in the sun

Let me go on
Big hands, I know you're the one

[Verse 2]
Body and beats, I stain my sheets