Question NordVPN Client and Linksys Router

ScottAD

Jan 10, 2007
Was going to get the Linksys E9450 but Linksys does not support OpenVPN with this router, only VPN-Passthrough.

I only use the NordVPN app on my Windows 11 machine. Does that mean that the application will no longer work? I do not want to set up VPN on the router itself.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Every router does passthrough. It will work fine.

If you're using it local on the machine though switch to Nordlynx (wire guard) and you'll see better speeds.

OVPN - ~500mbps
NLynx - ~1gbps+

ScottAD

Jan 10, 2007
Every router does passthrough. It will work fine.

If you're using it local on the machine though switch to Nordlynx (wire guard) and you'll see better speeds.

OVPN - ~500mbps
NLynx - ~1gbps+

Thank you! NordVPN FAQs on this specific stuff does not differentiate, just talks about the router not supporting configuration on the hardware level.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, most VPN providers like to be vague to avoid getting held accountable for configure everyone's router. There's so many variable / variations in each vendor it's impossible to support them.

Most routers you buy off the shelf only support whichever one paid them to be added into their GUI. If you hack the firmware you can generally apply options yourself outside of they they provide out of the box if you want to use it as a central / whole network VPN.

Doesn't look like this specific router has a WRT option though at this point. It should run fine on your laptop / PC though using WG for faster speeds if you're tired of going slow while connected. I've been using nord for ~4-5 years now and it's the only one I can deploy as a central VPN to cover the whole network on my DIY Linux router setup w/o compromising security to get it to launch / connect on reboots.

Using it as a central connection cuts down on the need to have multiple logins per service unless you have a lot of people that need protection on the same plan.

Reactions: ScottAD

ScottAD

Jan 10, 2007
Hooked this up today and cannot get wired or wireless internet on it. I've disconnected my unmanaged switch and restarted modem and router. Nada

Connected directly to modem a laptop can reach the internet. Stumped.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Some cable providers require clearing the MAC on their end to switch devices hooked up to the modem. Most of the time though you can unplug the modem for 30 seconds and then try again and it works.

ScottAD

Jan 10, 2007
Some cable providers require clearing the MAC on their end to switch devices hooked up to the modem. Most of the time though you can unplug the modem for 30 seconds and then try again and it works.
This was it. I guess Spectrum has a built-in MAC cloning mitigation protocol

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
It's not really a mitigation it's old software on their CMTS.

Most newer setups don't make the MAC a sticky static w/ an extended timer anymore because it's more of a PITA that generates customer calls. There's no benefit to logging / binding the MAC to the CM. If you were paying for a static IP then it makes sense but, on the consumer side that's rarely the case.