Norah Jones

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
Inspector, thank you for the post. I do hope she stays under the radar.

It's little wonder she was chosen to sing at the Tribute to Johnny Cash. Her real beauty
is in her vocals. Her face is easy on the eyes. Check out youtube.

dug777, it is my hope you have a daughter and men that celebrate thier drunkeness
as you do, say they will hit IT. It?? Are women just meat to you? Sober-up you clod. :p

...Galvanized

Idiot, i don't mean i'd physically assault her, never heard of the expression?

:roll:

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad

so she's mainstream, but under the radar. Right? :disgust:

I don't believe I ever said "under the radar". Regardless of what you consider her popularity stance to be, whatever talent she has, it's common talent amongst many such 'artists', nothing uniquely gifted.

I consider myself talented, I can take out a whole Rogue Spear team alone through stealth tactics. I'd appreciate a thread about how much you love me too.

yeah, but you excruciatingly ugly.

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel

Music is a very subjective choice and nobody can influence likes/dislikes so I won't argue with you there. But you sound like you have got a Vendetta against her! You just hate her music or the whole genre itself?

I hate giving credit where credit isn't due, regardless of genre. It's not 'her' music, she's merely a billboard like so many other mainstream 'artists' out there. The music was produced and composed by Arif Mardin; taking a dead man's work and claiming it to be someone else's sure is dirty. I'd love to see what lady Norah comes up with now that Mr Mardin has moved on.

But don't mind me, wallow in your ignorance; as I understand it's far simpler that way.

Sheesh, I ask you a question in a civil manner and next second, you brand me an ignorant fool. She has composed some of her own songs, worked together with Jesse Harris, Hank Williams etc. on some other songs - look it up in liner notes or All Music Guide or something.

(This is my attack)
By your logic, Artists who collaborate with Glen Ballard (eg. Alanis Morissette), Desmond Child (eg. Aerosmith), Diane Warren (eg. Celine Dion), Mutt Lange etc. are all mediocre, dirty crooks. And the people who like their music are ignoramuses. Hell, next thing I know you will tell me Whitney Houston sucks ass because the biggest song of her career is a Dolly Parton cover. Michael Jackson was just a Quincy Jones-driven flash-in-the-pan. What about Elvis Presley? Wow, just...wow.

I ask you a simple question and you go all typical-internet-dude-with-eclectic-and-superior taste in music/movies/art/lawnmowers/lightbulbs etc. with the right to look down upon everyone else :confused:

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
By your logic, Artists who collaborate with Glen Ballard (eg. Alanis Morissette), Desmond Child (eg. Aerosmith), Diane Warren (eg. Celine Dion), Mutt Lange etc. are all mediocre, dirty crooks.
Your list amuses me. By my logic any 'representative' (artist to the rest of you) of an album that takes credit for the work of another could very well be considered a crook.

Norah Jones as far as I know does not intentionally try and do so, she's just misrepresented as having more responsibility over the albums associated with her name than she really does. But then again, like I said, this is only standard practice in the music industry. The hot chick gets the grammy while all the people behind the music get a decent sized paycheck at best. This is the same for respected singers such as Norah as much as it is for the likes of Britney Spears; Although I have no doubt Norah Jones has more talent than Britney Spears, the misrepresentation of their capabilities remains. You think Britney Spears sat long nights behind the mixer assembling her tracks? Think again.

Apr 17, 2005
By your logic, Artists who collaborate with Glen Ballard (eg. Alanis Morissette), Desmond Child (eg. Aerosmith), Diane Warren (eg. Celine Dion), Mutt Lange etc. are all mediocre, dirty crooks.
Your list amuses me. By my logic any 'representative' (artist to the rest of you) of an album that takes credit for the work of another could very well be considered a crook.

Norah Jones as far as I know does not intentionally try and do so, she's just misrepresented as having more responsibility over the albums associated with her name than she really does. But then again, like I said, this is only standard practice in the music industry. The hot chick gets the grammy while all the people behind the music get a decent sized paycheck at best. This is the same for respected singers such as Norah as much as it is for the likes of Britney Spears; Although I have no doubt Norah Jones has more talent than Britney Spears, the misrepresentation of their capabilities remains. You think Britney Spears sat long nights behind the mixer assembling her tracks? Think again.

The grammy for song of the year, "Don't know why" was actually awarded to Jesse Harris...she's associated with winning it cause she sang it.

Oct 4, 2004

The grammy for song of the year, "Don't know why" was actually awarded to Jesse Harris...she's associated with winning it cause she sang it.

True. It's not like Will Jennings & James Horner didn't get a Grammy for writing My Heart Will Go On. Grammies award everyone: producers, songwriters and the Artist. That's why they have Record of the Year & Song of the Year. You have, for eg. Best Rock Song (Songwriter) as well as Best Rock Performance (Artist). Artists do acknowledge everyone in their acceptance speeches, as well as the liner notes inside the CD cover.

What you, NanoStuff, are saying is correct. Everyone remembers George Lucas for Star Wars but who can name the technicians who actually did the Special Effects? This is true for movies, video games or any Popular Art form. Classical Music conductors represent a 60-piece orchestra but that's how it goes. Who knows the name of the coach who helped (insert multi-millionaire athlete's name) reached his/her potential? Or the guy who thought the 360-degree camera-spin from The Matrix would be a great idea?

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel

True. It's not like Will Jennings & James Horner didn't get a Grammy for writing My Heart Will Go On. Grammies award everyone: producers, songwriters and the Artist. That's why they have Record of the Year & Song of the Year. You have, for eg. Best Rock Song (Songwriter) as well as Best Rock Performance (Artist). Artists do acknowledge everyone in their acceptance speeches, as well as the liner notes inside the CD cover.

What you, NanoStuff, are saying is correct. Everyone remembers George Lucas for Star Wars but who can name the technicians who actually did the Special Effects? This is true for movies, video games or any Popular Art form. Classical Music conductors represent a 60-piece orchestra but that's how it goes. Who knows the name of the coach who helped (insert multi-millionaire athlete's name) reached his/her potential? Or the guy who thought the 360-degree camera-spin from The Matrix would be a great idea?

good point. Besides, being talented means that you have to have all the components: the voice, the creativity, the appeal, the image, the style, etc... and she does it all

Paddington

Jun 26, 2006
She's the product of Ravi Shankar and a groupie he boned in his old age.

Whoa, Ravi Shankar had groupies! :Q