Noobie stumped--New system problem.

fb02521

Apr 14, 2009
Noob Q--although this is a mystery.

New build powers up. Insert Asus Z87 pro start up CD into new Asus DVD player as boot drive. Fails to boot.

Get a INT 13: 08 error which has something to do with a boot interruption. DOS appears.

Insert Windows XP CD hoping to install windows. this CD works to the point of loading windows, when it gets to the "load" portion of the Windows CD, I get a system error. ASus CD player seems to be working.

Wits end. Thought I could download from Asus and use flash drive to boot. All I can do there is download drivers and install after windows loads.

Central problem is system failure to recognize Asus boot CD. Any ideas on how to get this system running?

Haswell 4670/stock heat sink
Asus Z87 Pro MB
Corsair Vengence 1866 8 x 2
Intel 520 256 mb year old SSD
New Asus CD player
Seasonic 500 W PS--Using 5 yr. old that was top of line in 2008

Office system--this happened on first boot and continues. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
Is the motherboard posting correctly? Are you getting any beep or LED error codes? Are you getting the mobo splash screen? If so, are you able to access BIOS (delete during startup) to ensure the boot order is correct?

If you are getting post errors or can't enter BIOS, I'd guess you've got a mainboard problem. If not (from what you said I'd guess the mobo is posting correctly), I'd follow the traditional troubleshooting steps in this order (warning: they get progressively less pleasant):

EDIT: After doing some research, I think that error code may actually have to do with the SSD. (Disclaimer: I have exceedingly little experience with SSDs). Bump my original number 2 step to number 3 and instead swap the HDD SATA cable for a new one and try again. If you have the right equipment you can try to reformat the SSD as well, though I'm not sure that would work. I've never formatted an SSD, so I'm not sure what that process looks like. Failing that, swap to a different drive (if you have one) and see if that fixes it.

1. Check that the PSU is adequate for the system. A 5 year old PSU that was heavily used may not be your best bet. If you have another PSU, swap it in. If not, carefully ensure that all PSU connectors and SATA cables are properly attached in the right positions. Be thorough! Try again.

2. Replace the CD or DVD drive SATA cable and try again.

3. Replace the CD or DVD drive itself and try again.

4. Carefully reseat everything on the board. After inserting each RAM module (test both on their own in single-channel), try to boot again. If the issue persists, reseat the CPU and try again.

5. Reset the CMOS. I doubt this will help, but it's worth a shot.

If none of those fix the issue we'll need to get more aggressive, but try them for now.

Last edited:

fb02521

Apr 14, 2009
Yes we are able to get into bios and navigate around bios. Problem seems to be other than connections although will go through check list provided--txs. for doing that!!!

just noticed (on attempt to boot Asus CD) message:

Mem Disc seems to have fractional end cylinder.

thinking about the problem--failure to boot (boot interrupt) with CD--am thinking CD must be writing to the SSD (hard drive) and maybe used SSD is corrupt (last thing before my e8400 Core Duo refused to boot I'd tried to overclock it to make faster--resulted in fail and constant boot interrupts off the Intel 520 256 mg SSD. Now it this SSD is on the new system also failing to boot widows XP after XP has loaded off the Windows CD.

Last edited:

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
Yeah, I tried to add the SSD hypothesis via edit above, but I may have been too slow. Do you have another SSD or HDD to try? Troubleshoot that before hitting the rest of the checklist.

EDIT: After hearing the drive's background and doing a little more research I've become fairly convinced that this issue is related to the SSD. I'll leave the checklist up there just in case, but I don't think you'll need it at all.

Last edited:

fb02521

Apr 14, 2009
$30 refurbished Western Digital Blue on the way from New Egg. I'll post results. Two other HDs also failed though each might have problems. Txs. for response!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Try dropping your memory speed down to 1333 and see what happens. It's possible the sticks are currently not playing nice as configured.

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
$30 refurbished Western Digital Blue on the way from New Egg. I'll post results. Two other HDs also failed though each might have problems. Txs. for response!

Hmmm... Three different drives failing due to individual faults seems unlikely, but it's not impossible. Out of curiosity, are you using the same SATA cable with each drive? If so, try swapping the cable.

If you're bored you could run down the checklist and manipulate (lower) the RAM clocks as the other gentleman suggested. I can't think of anything else, unfortunately. What a frustrating issue...

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Also, make sure the BIOS is set to init legacy first, and set all SATAs to IDE mode.

What other optical drives have you tried? I haven't installed XP on any HW remotely that new, but I have had the installer be picky about newer SATA ODDs, often somewhat randomly. When that happens, for me, it usually either craps out right before the GUI, or gets into the GUI and will then freeze or have a CRC error (I can move the mouse and click, but just to exit setup and reboot).

It might be the SSD, or something else entirely, but that's another thing to try.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The "Asus Z87 pro start up CD" is not a bootable disc. It only contains drivers and other utilities that may be optionally installed after Windows or some other operating system has already been installed.

fb02521

Apr 14, 2009
Cerb--bingo--right on the money. Bios to legacy/HD config to Ide. the thing is working. heart palpitations.

Personal speed record loading my XP disk. For office I really like the simplicity of XP--although wondering if part of balkiness of my old E8400 core duo system caused by XP inability to handle later software?

Taking it that Ide configuration and Legacy bios required to recognize XP? Can I go back to SATA config now that windows is installed on the HD?

txs to all for advice! full report if I get this all working.

Last edited:

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
Wow. I've never installed XP, so that was right over my head. Color me impressed. I shall be making note of that little trick, Cerb.

Here I was about to suggest this poor fella gut his PC...

Last edited:

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Taking it that Ide configuration and Legacy bios required to recognize XP? Can I go back to SATA config now that windows is installed on the HD?

For XP +AHCI mode, you need to re-install XP and include the AHCI drivers. Hit F6 key and supply the AHCI drivers either via floppy disc or CD ROM disc. XP can't accept a USB thumb drive for that purpose.

Nov 20, 2009
Wow, XP on a Haswell. I like me some XP, but I've never been that nuts in trying to load a decade old operating system on the latest and greatest hardware. That's just pushing the lack of driver availability.

Are you tied to XP because of expensive application software? If not, consider a move to something newer. Not recommending anything M#, but I would think an OEM W& or a Linux Mint might be worthy of a replacement.

fb02521

Apr 14, 2009
For XP +AHCI mode, you need to re-install XP and include the AHCI drivers. Hit F6 key and supply the AHCI drivers either via floppy disc or CD ROM disc. XP can't accept a USB thumb drive for that purpose.

so i learned--regards trying to load drivers to XP off the flash drive. + Asus is without drivers to download for the XP. Once XP was installed was able to load some drivers off the MB CD although the primary message is that the CD fails to support XP and that the Intel ethernet hardware incompatible with XP and so unable to load the ethernet driver.

Windows 8 just ordered from New Egg :) :) Vailr--do u know where one finds AHCI drivers? almost considering the XP a challenge now. So close. am assuming those are on MB CD somewhere?

Last edited:

fb02521

Apr 14, 2009
Wow, XP on a Haswell. I like me some XP, but I've never been that nuts in trying to load a decade old operating system on the latest and greatest hardware. That's just pushing the lack of driver availability.

Are you tied to XP because of expensive application software? If not, consider a move to something newer. Not recommending anything M#, but I would think an OEM W& or a Linux Mint might be worthy of a replacement.

This is an office system. I have Windows 7 on my laptop. difficult to get used to. is it me or is there so much bloatware on Windows 7? XP is so straightforward and intuitive for my simple mind. Just read the Windows 8 reviews. my desire for snappy system will overcome the XP love shortly is very likely + as u posted, driver nightmare so far.

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
http://superuser.com/a/427570

I've used the same method before with AIB SATA controllers and RAID cards in the past, but never AHCI on XP :).

This is an office system. I have Windows 7 on my laptop. difficult to get used to. is it me or is there so much bloatware on Windows 7?
Nope. There may be bloatware from the OEM, some of it you might grudgingly keep (such as user-space power management), but 7 itself is fine.

scaramoosh

May 4, 2012
I had the problem where I couldn't install Windows to my old SSDs (Vertex 2) and so I decided to install to another SSD (Agility 3) and it was fine. However once in Windows the Vertex 2's kept disconnecting :\

Apparently Haswell boards have some compatibility issues with older sata devices.

sdougal

Oct 18, 2012
This is an office system. I have Windows 7 on my laptop. difficult to get used to. is it me or is there so much bloatware on Windows 7? XP is so straightforward and intuitive for my simple mind. Just read the Windows 8 reviews. my desire for snappy system will overcome the XP love shortly is very likely + as u posted, driver nightmare so far.

Not sure if this was already mentioned...

Intel is not supporting anything older than Win7 on the new 8 series chipsets. So driver-wise you're thoroughly screwed if you wanna keep Win XP going on Haswell...

But hey why would you anyway. IMHO Win 7, or even better Win 8 are what you want. Even MS has abandoned Win XP...

Also, Bloatware is added by laptop manufacturers as a way of maintaining somewhat narrow margins. i.e. not part of Windows 7/8 at all, so can be uninstalled. Still messes up your registry, but hey...

The only 'clean' install you'll ever see on a laptop is the one you install yourself. Sorry state of affairs for sure. But there it is...

fb02521

Apr 14, 2009
Not sure if this was already mentioned...

Intel is not supporting anything older than Win7 on the new 8 series chipsets. So driver-wise you're thoroughly screwed if you wanna keep Win XP going on Haswell...

But hey why would you anyway. IMHO Win 7, or even better Win 8 are what you want. Even MS has abandoned Win XP...

Also, Bloatware is added by laptop manufacturers as a way of maintaining somewhat narrow margins. i.e. not part of Windows 7/8 at all, so can be uninstalled. Still messes up your registry, but hey...

The only 'clean' install you'll ever see on a laptop is the one you install yourself. Sorry state of affairs for sure. But there it is...

Yup--that seems to be the situation. Cerb posted a nice thread concerning installing the AHCI drivers, and--with my limited knowledge--it does seem XP supported drivers could be found EXCEPT--my XP indicates the Intel Ethernet hardware is incompatible with XP. That being the case--is XP therefore dead to Haswell?

This is more an XP thread since XP was my problem. I think the MB CD refused to boot because all 3 hardrives i used had Xp installed, and XP declines recognizing the ASUS MB CD. I've thrown in the towell--Windows 8 in the U.S. mail, although still wondering if the Haswell--XP ethernet driver problem can be got around. Unknown if the Realtech hardware (Asus Dual Deluxe MB has one) supports XP. Txs for all help!

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Yup--that seems to be the situation. Cerb posted a nice thread concerning installing the AHCI drivers, and--with my limited knowledge--it does seem XP supported drivers could be found EXCEPT--my XP indicates the Intel Ethernet hardware is incompatible with XP. That being the case--is XP therefore dead to Haswell?
It's already becoming common practice to do PtoV conversions, for must-have software, for XP and 9x OSes. You could get around the Ethernet limitation by adding a card, but unless XP support is a must, 7 should be a minimum, for keeping up with the times.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Try Windows Server 2003. It will blow away both XP and 7 out of the water in performance.

I noticed that our brand new Dell systems won't take Windows XP... couldn't even load it from CD as they BSOD's. They are the latest gen i5 core IIRC.

cheez

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
do u know where one finds AHCI drivers? almost considering the XP a challenge now. So close. am assuming those are on MB CD somewhere?

Rapid Storage Technology
ICH9/10/PCH 11.6.0.1030 WHQL Windows Xp/Vista/7/8 32/64bits
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel%20raid.htm

Intel NIC driver:
Network Connections Software
(PRO /100)
d.gif
Version 18.3:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel lan-wan.htm

Last edited:

hackerballs

Jul 4, 2013
just buy windows 7 or 8 and get on with the times.............XP is dead with Haswell, as so it should be