Noob needs help badly

thisisausername

Aug 2, 2012
hello I'm working on my first build and my problem is I cant figure out how to connect the reset and power switchs from the case to the motherboard. Ive only ever seen it done with the white adapter all the case buttons plug into and this MOBO dosnt have a slot for that. have a asrock z77 extreme 4 and an antec 900 case. Please help im so lost Ive tried reading the manual and I cant figure out what to do! tech gurus save this way ward noob!

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
hello I'm working on my first build and my problem is I cant figure out how to connect the reset and power switchs from the case to the motherboard. Ive only ever seen it done with the white adapter all the case buttons plug into and this MOBO dosnt have a slot for that. have a asrock z77 extreme 4 and an antec 900 case. Please help im so lost Ive tried reading the manual and I cant figure out what to do! tech gurus save this way ward noob!

No offense, but if you cant even spell badly you should just stick to prebuilts......

Look at the manual, it is literally RIGHT there, find the power SW and reset SW cables and plug them in accordingly. Im legally blind and I can still do it, just use a magnifying glass if you have to.

thisisausername

Aug 2, 2012
ok smart a**, my apologies for typing late at night insults are unnecessary. I did read the manual, and like I said the manual shows me 3 pins for the power and no pins for the reset. That's where my confusion is coming from.

Last edited:

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I did some research. I did not find any diagram in your case manual, but I did find this:

Connecting the Ports and LEDs
Note: Please refer to your motherboard manual for specific pin outs or location of
front panel connectors.
1. Connect the Reset switch (labeled RESET SW) to the motherboard at the RST
connector. Polarity (positive and negative) does not matter for switches.
2. Power Switch (labeled POWER SW) connects to the PWR connector on the
motherboard.
3. There is no Power LED in this case. Three illuminated case fans will turn on
when there is power to the computer.
4. Hard Drive LED (labeled H.D.D. LED) connects to the IDE connector. For
LEDs, colored wires are positive (+). White or black wires are negative (–). If
the LED does not light up when the system is powered on, try reversing the
connection. For more info on connecting LEDs to your motherboard, see your
motherboard manual.

Then, I pulled up your motherboard instructions and found:

image.png

Connect the power switch, reset switch and system status indicator on the
chassis to this header according to the pin assignments below. Note the
positive and negative pins before connecting the cables.
PWRBTN (Power Switch):
Connect to the power switch on the chassis front panel. You may configure
the way to turn off your system using the power switch.
RESET (Reset Switch):
Connect to the reset switch on the chassis front panel. Press the reset
switch to restart the computer if the computer freezes and fails to perform a
normal restart.
PLED (System Power LED):
Connect to the power status indicator on the chassis front panel. The LED
is on when the system is operating. The LED keeps blinking when the system
is in S1/S3 sleep state. The LED is off when the system is in S4 sleep
state or powered off (S5).
HDLED (Hard Drive Activity LED):
Connect to the hard drive activity LED on the chassis front panel. The LED
is on when the hard drive is reading or writing data.
The front panel design may differ by chassis. A front panel module mainly
consists of power switch, reset switch, power LED, hard drive activity LED,
speaker and etc. When connecting your chassis front panel module to this
header, make sure the wire assignments and the pin assign-ments are
matched correctly.

Below you can see where this stuff attaches to:

image.png

Good Luck!

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Im legally blind and I can still do it, just use a magnifying glass if you have to.
I'm NOT legally blind and I still frequently need a magnifying glass when reading the labels hooking up those connectors!

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I think you misread it. Power switch should be between PWRBTN# and the GND
The way you labeled it, the switch would be connected between GND and nothing.
It would not work. Also for the OP's help, if you want a Power or Hard Drive Activity
LED, just connect them to the proper pins as in the diagram. Anode side of LED goes
to the "+" terminal.

Last edited:

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I think you misread it. Power switch should be between PWRBTN# and the GND
The way you labeled it, the switch would be connected between GND and nothing.
It would not work. Also for the OP's help, if you want a Power or Hard Drive Activity
LED, just connect them to the proper pins as in the diagram. Anode side of LED goes
to the "+" terminal.

Good catch! I updated the picture.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I used to have 20-20 vision, and now I'm old. Even with reading glasses, I need a magnifying glass and an LED light to find those G**D*** pins.

The OP's board instructions suggest that for one or more pin-pairs, polarity doesn't matter. Whichever or howsoever that applies, if an LED or switch doesn't work, trace the wire and simply reverse the pinouts.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
No offense, but if you can(')t even spell (correctly) you should just stick to prebuilts......

FTFY and looking at your usual standard of post (this one included) I would refrain from pointing out other peoples grammatical errors because it makes you look like an ass.

balane

Dec 15, 2006
On a side note, and something I've been wondering, most cases have their LED/Reset/PWR connectors with a colored wire and a white wire. The motherboard connections are labeled with a + and - that I've seen but the case connector leads are not labeled with polarity. Is there a normal accepted rule as to the colored wire being one polarity and the white wire being the other? Or does it not matter if you connect the white or the colored wire to the + or -?

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
FTFY and looking at your usual standard of post (this one included) I would refrain from pointing out other peoples grammatical errors because it makes you look like an ass.

I fail to see your point. Are you stating two wrongs make a right, or are you just being an ass yourself? What exactly did you mean by (correctly) did you even see what I wrote? In the title it used to read Noob needs help badely, so I told him that its spelled badly, not badely.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
On a side note, and something I've been wondering, most cases have their LED/Reset/PWR connectors with a colored wire and a white wire. The motherboard connections are labeled with a + and - that I've seen but the case connector leads are not labeled with polarity. Is there a normal accepted rule as to the colored wire being one polarity and the white wire being the other? Or does it not matter if you connect the white or the colored wire to the + or -?

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

The general rule of thumb for the majority of case manufacturers is:

Colored wires (red/green/blue/tangerine/etc) for positive
Black/White wires for negative