Nonunion Alabama crews turned away from Sandy recovery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
And, if someone expected them to work *with* the union crew, I have no problem with the union crew saying, "thanks, but no thanks." It's dangerous work; they are at times responsible for each other's lives. If they're in the IBEW, they know each other, they know how competent each other is, and they know that each other has been trained properly. I've had both a son & a nephew doing line work. My son was union IBEW from NY. My nephew was with some outfit in South Carolina. My son: they worked their asses off & took things seriously. Nephew: his coworkers were smoking pot at lunch, were screwing around on the job, etc. Not only the companies, but the unions themselves will work to police their ranks. My nephew didn't feel safe with the people he worked with and insisted on being transferred.

(Not to turn this into anything drug related, but they're operating heavy machinery, boom trucks, and working with a thousands of volts of live electricity; you don't want coworkers reactions to be impaired in any way at all.)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
And, if someone expected them to work *with* the union crew, I have no problem with the union crew saying, "thanks, but no thanks." It's dangerous work; they are at times responsible for each other's lives. If they're in the IBEW, they know each other, they know how competent each other is, and they know that each other has been trained properly. I've had both a son & a nephew doing line work. My son was union IBEW from NY. My nephew was with some outfit in South Carolina. My son: they worked their asses off & took things seriously. Nephew: his coworkers were smoking pot at lunch, were screwing around on the job, etc. Not only the companies, but the unions themselves will work to police their ranks. My nephew didn't feel safe with the people he worked with and insisted on being transferred.

(Not to turn this into anything drug related, but they're operating heavy machinery, boom trucks, and working with a thousands of volts of live electricity; you don't want coworkers reactions to be impaired in any way at all.)
A company will know the quality of people being offered to help. this was pure union crap all the way.

No utility is going to tarnish itself by sending incompetent. Next year they may need help.

Union is willing to delay the repairs/recovery for their own gain.
1) It means that the union folks can work more OT
2) It provides leverage
3) Screws the customer base

jstern01

Mar 25, 2010
A company will know the quality of people being offered to help. this was pure union crap all the way.

No utility is going to tarnish itself by sending incompetent. Next year they may need help.

2) It provides leverage

You really think that little of your fellow Americans? Millions of people have had their lives disrupted by Sandy, their homes flood or destroyed (many of them are lineman too).

From what I remember with Charlie, France, and Jeanne back in 2004. Many utility crews were turned away, not because they were union or non union, but because the infrastructure to coordinate the work simply was not up to task. I literally was without power from Mid August until almost September 25th. It was not because the power company did not try, simply put the damage was that wide spread. And yes having lineman crews sitting around does cost money, because FPL would have to cover their pay and room and board.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You really think that little of your fellow Americans? Millions of people have had their lives disrupted by Sandy, their homes flood or destroyed (many of them are lineman too).

From what I remember with Charlie, France, and Jeanne back in 2004. Many utility crews were turned away, not because they were union or non union, but because the infrastructure to coordinate the work simply was not up to task. I literally was without power from Mid August until almost September 25th. It was not because the power company did not try, simply put the damage was that wide spread. And yes having lineman crews sitting around does cost money, because FPL would have to cover their pay and room and board.

I think that little of union people that refuse to work with non-union people.

Given that this was union management, even more so.

People left their families to come help and the union people spit in their faces.
Nothing about quality, just the color of the uniform.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well well, maybe Union workers are as team devoted as Republicans even willing to destroy the community for the sake of the team. It would kind of hurt if you saw such behavior in the mirror and didn't know you were looking in one.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
lol, I see this was part of the daily email of things to rage about. I saw this on FN this morning, but at least FN was honest enough to admit that they checked and the Alabama crews were in fact working in NJ with no issue.

Who the hell is Waff.com?

Thats true I seen the sam,e report , Maybe after that aired ther unions got stupid. Freaken demons and there unions

ChunkiMunki

Dec 21, 2001
This entire story is FALSE. Apparently the 6-man crew received "documents" from their own utility, couldn't read or understand it, and left. Where are the documents? I guess the facts have no bearing on a good union-bashing story.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
This entire story is FALSE. Apparently the 6-man crew received "documents" from their own utility, couldn't read or understand it, and left. Where are the documents? I guess the facts have no bearing on a good union-bashing story.

Where are you getting your story from?

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Sounds like wrong words were selected and then misinterpreted. OFFICIALLY

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

papadage

Oct 4, 2001
Yep. A dirty stinking lie.

The paperwork is the standard inter-utility agreement that the two companies sign for reimbursement rates for their workers time.

Anyone who says that anyone her would turn back help, union or not, is a stinking dirty scumbag, exploiting the confusion here from the comfort of their home.

Dickless liars.

And the company did sort-of retract, in a very seaselly way..

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57544237/ala-utilities-our-crews-not-turned-away-from-n.j/

I hope that motherfuckers dick shrivels off..

Last edited:

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Let 'em sit in the dark, then. Once they realize that the ONLY reason it's taking so long to get power back, is because of some ridiculous union rules, the voters will squash that rule, and anyone who tries to enforce it.

Unions have their place.....but NO state should be allowed to prevent people from working, solely because they don't belong to the union. :mad:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Let 'em sit in the dark, then. Once they realize that the ONLY reason it's taking so long to get power back, is because of some ridiculous union rules, the voters will squash that rule, and anyone who tries to enforce it.

Unions have their place.....but NO state should be allowed to prevent people from working, solely because they don't belong to the union. :mad:

Even when what you just spouted has been shown to be a lie, you spout it anyway.

Take a look at yourself & what you believe, try to see that you've been intellectually crippled.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Well well, maybe Union workers are as team devoted as Republicans even willing to destroy the community for the sake of the team. It would kind of hurt if you saw such behavior in the mirror and didn't know you were looking in one.

Lol assholes are going to be assholes I guess.

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
The same people bitching about the alleged turning away would turn away the rescue workers from Iran who offered to help

I have to give you credit you are living up to your screen name

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

2) It provides leverage
No, I don't think a company cares about the quality of their people being offered to help. As I stated earlier - nephew is a linesman (was) for an outfit in SC. He's since switched companies. He complained multiple times about coworkers being under the influence while working. They didn't care; nothing was done. He suffered from retributions by some of his coworkers for reporting them (vandalism to his truck, etc.)

Those companies are just sending bodies; they're not hand selecting their best employees.