"None of the above" versus Mitt Romney

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/nevada-none-fearsome-foe-gop-062218860.html

In Nevada, 'None' a Fearsome Foe for the GOP

President Obama and GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney must face down a dubious and slippery opponent in Nevada this November. The mystery foe cannot be tamed with television ads and never breaks a campaign pledge. Its name is “none of these candidates.”

Nevada is the only state in the nation to offer voters the quirky ballot choice, and for more than three decades, statewide candidates here have had to contend with it. But this year, nervous Republicans have filed a federal lawsuit to try to oust “none” from the ballot.

They worry that “none” could siphon away a sufficient number of anti-Obama voters from Romney to throw the state to the president. And because the Silver State's six electoral votes are some of the most hotly contested in the nation, Republicans don’t want to leave anything to chance.

The Republican National Committee declined to comment for this story, but an official there acknowledged that the party is bankrolling the lawsuit, filed last month, to add “clarity” to the ballot.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I always thought "None of the Above" should be an option on every race on every ballot. If "None" wins, then the position remains vacant until there's a new election with different candidates. In other words, neither party would be allowed to run a candidate who previously lost to "None of the Above".

Dare to dream

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Removing "none of the above" could help Republicans, could help Democrats, could help 3rd party. Could help no one.

Basically what the commentary above is suggesting, is people who don't want to vote yet still vote, lean Republican?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Removing "none of the above" could help Republicans, could help Democrats, could help 3rd party. Could help no one.

Well, I'm pretty sure it won't help "no one':)

Though that fact the Republican party is in court trying to overturn the option indicates they feel it would hurt Tricky Mitt.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
God when will the right come back to reality with the rest of us. Instead of trying to work together to ease the burden in this country on the people that really matter, middle and lower class consumers, they waste their time fucking around with the votes for the upcoming election.

You're not going to win, get over it. Droves of Republicans are turning on their own party because of just this type of stupid bullshit. What's next, steroid hearings for hockey?

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Maybe I'm not thinking about this right, but how is this any different than just leaving the it blank? There is no requirement that you vote for every office on the ballot.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Maybe I'm not thinking about this right, but how is this any different than just leaving the it blank? There is no requirement that you vote for every office on the ballot.

It gives you the option to vote against everyone else.
I believe if None wins they have to have another election.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

It's a protest vote. I like the idea. Leaving it blank could suggest a mistake or indifference on that one issue. None of the above is not indifference, it's saying you don't like any of the options.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
It gives you the option to vote against everyone else.
I believe if None wins they have to have another election.

If 'none' wins then the second-highest result is the winner.

The NVGOP's lawsuit is based on that fact; they claim that even if 'none' wins someone has to win and that disenfranchises everyone who voted for 'none' and is thus illegal.

The lawsuit fails to recognize that a vote for 'none' is equivalent to a blank ballot in practice but with the added social benefit of "sending a message" (that will, of course, fall on deaf ears).

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
None of the above will always do pretty well-it covers a huge spectrum and won't have any of the warts a real person has. It's kind of stupid and defeating to the democratic process to have it on the ballot however. Instead of just bitching, people should work harder to get candidates they can tolerate, or better still run themselves.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
None of the above appeals to the tea party since they have never raised taxes.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
I always thought "None of the Above" should be an option on every race on every ballot. If "None" wins, then the position remains vacant until there's a new election with different candidates. In other words, neither party would be allowed to run a candidate who previously lost to "None of the Above".

Dare to dream

That would be a good idea. In NV even if "none" got 99% of the vote the person with the most votes still wins. So it is meaningless.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
I just checked a NV site for election results. From the site that I found the highest "none of the above" got was just under 25%. Most of the time "none of the above" was in the single digits.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I saw this title, and I got to thinking, Brewsters Millions is an awesome movie.
Richard Pryor was fvckin hillarious.

Anyhow, I agree that the "none of the above" is essentially useless, but, I don't think it hurts anything either...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol. why would republicans waste their time and energy on fighting something that is completely meaningless to how people will vote?

have they already given up on helping to elect their candidate?