Non gaming laptop with desktop grade cpu

Feb 23, 2014
Hi,

I searched the net and couldn't find one, so I would like to ask:

Is there any desktop replacement laptop/notebook which houses desktop grade CPU but devoid of a discrete GPU (i.e., runs off igpu ) ?

I just like to transcode all the 4k videos I shoot with my oneplus one from h264 to h265, and for that I prefer my dell desktop optiplex 7040 with i7-6700 over my laptop latitude 3450 with i5-5200U.

In India, the closest i could get was with Azom Systems, a startup which sells rebranded clevo barebones with i5-6400 onwards and gtx-1060. And it costs a damn penny at INR 120k. They said its not possible to enable igpu as optimus technology is not present.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
Rebranded Clevo's are probably it. The use case for desktop CPU's in laptops is fairly small. And even smaller (if any market left) if you want it devoid of a dGPU.

You can look at the i7-6700HQ solution. It'll be slower than the desktop i7-6700, but much faster than the i5-5200U. I know Dell carries that variants sans dGPU and relatively inexpensively (at least in the US)

http://ark.intel.com/compare/88196,88967

Reactions: prateekprakash

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Think about cooling, not just CPU

Your current i5 5200u is dual core+ht+2.2(2.7turbo)

I7 6700 desktop is quad core+ht+3.4(4.00 turbo)

Dual to quad, 2.2 to 3.4, you should see that your desktop is 3 times faster than your laptop? (Ignoring CPU generation improvements)

I7 6700hq (laptop ) is quad core+ht+2.6(3.5 turbo). Comparing 6700 desktop with 6700hq, it's 30% higher clock speed(and benchmark comparisons online show a 30% difference as well)

This means that laptop vs desktop chip differences aren't that much (once you factor in frequency differences)

Hence, you should be looking at good heat dissipation laptops(with decent laptop or desktop grade CPUs), since laptops often throttle easily due to space/heat limitations. Don't just look for desktop grade cpu

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700/m34954vs3515

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i7_6700-520-vs-intel_core_i7_6700hq-573

For desktops of course, heat dissipation isn't that big of a problem, and you could over clock/use good coolers to reduce throttling and try to hit turbo speeds

Last edited:
Reactions: prateekprakash

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
When I bought my Dell XPS Touch 15 two years ago there was an option to get it without a discrete GPU and with a desktop CPU.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Usually what you're asking for is in the realm of All In Ones. Is lap-ability that important to you? An AIO is semi-portable if moving from building to building.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The i5 in your laptop is a dual core. So having a stark performance difference is expected. A mobile i7 with a "Q"(Q denotes quad core) in its name and adequate cooling would provide desktop-like performance.

Feb 23, 2014
Usually what you're asking for is in the realm of All In Ones. Is lap-ability that important to you? An AIO is semi-portable if moving from building to building.

I am specifically looking for laptops because they are portable and have built in battery.
Basically that shall help me lug around the laptop from college to home whenever there is a holiday.

Feb 23, 2014
The i5 in your laptop is a dual core. So having a stark performance difference is expected. A mobile i7 with a "Q"(Q denotes quad core) in its name and adequate cooling would provide desktop-like performance.

I agree, and if there is no option left I shall have no alternative to turn to the HQ series of cpu.

It is just that desktop cpu have more thermal headroom, and that they are the pinnacle of computing power so it would theoretically mean no compromises in the cpu department. Thats why I am first trying for desktop cpu in a laptop

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
I'd say you're pretty much stuck with HQ series then. Putting a desktop CPU in a laptop doesn't make sense for most manufacturers. No battery life. Hard to handle the TDP, which makes the chassis heavy and unwieldy.

Even if a manufacturer does use a desktop CPU, I'd imagine the computer is pretty janky. I wouldn't count on it to survive for very long. The battery drain would be immense and the heat would be intense.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
BIOS should have the option to disable the GPU.

I'd say you're pretty much stuck with HQ series then. Putting a desktop CPU in a laptop doesn't make sense for most manufacturers. No battery life. Hard to handle the TDP, which makes the chassis heavy and unwieldy.

Even if a manufacturer does use a desktop CPU, I'd imagine the computer is pretty janky. I wouldn't count on it to survive for very long. The battery drain would be immense and the heat would be intense.
They are quite real and made by Clevo for sites like xoticpc. But they all seem to come with at least a Quadro 1000M GPU.