Non-gamers Question

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Have you moved to using a laptop primarily or do you still have a desktop?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I have both. They have different advantages and disadvantages beyond gaming.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Likewise. My laptop is basically for travel.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
While I do game (well, I research games, so ...), I prefer to use my desktop for other things too. The screen real estate and ergonomics are far superior to any other device IMO. Using a laptop on a desk makes my neck and back hurt. On my lap, even more. I do use my phone for web browsing more than I should, given my neck issues. But it's far better than a laptop on my lap. From time to time I browse the web on my TV using my HTPC, but that's usually when I'm too lazy to get off the couch :p

At work, I use a docked laptop with a display and mouse. Works fine. If I didn't have an external display, I wouldn't be able to work.

Reactions: Ken g6
Feb 25, 2011
Statistically, laptops outsell desktops by a wide margin. Most consumers are using laptops as their primary or only computer. Docked laptops are very common in cubicle farms.

You are unlikely to get a good sampling of non-nerds on this forum.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I must use a desktop workstation for heavy duty tasks like video production and image editing. I also do some casual gaming. Having large dual monitors makes this a lot easier. I have a laptop for traveling, which can handle moderate work, like basic image editing, as well as regular computing tasks. Bottom line is that I need both of these computers. A mobile phone when I can't take a computer.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I use desktops exclusively at home and work. Far too many advantages in cost, performance, convenience, expandability, etc. over a laptop. Even a desktop with the same components as a laptop would have more productivity for me since it forces me to be in a room without distractions with a desktop. If I want portability, I use my phone.

My work is shifting from desktops to a laptop with far less memory, slower processors, a miniscule screen, and wi-fi which is about 1% of the speed of our wired internet. Yeah! I can't wait to spend 90% of my day scrolling up/down to see what other parts of the code is doing while programming.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I use a desktop at work for Visual Studio development because I get faster cores and easier upgrades of the storage, RAM and video. It's also not worth spending extra for portability since I don't travel with it.

At home, I do game so a desktop makes more sense.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I use my laptop in my class room and desktop otherwise. My laptop is an old 1366x768, which is not really productive compared to full hd or 1440p.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I don't really game anymore, aside from a random interest now and then, but I don't see my desktop going anywhere any time soon. I might opt for an even smaller ITX case next time though.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I'm a gamer and I have moved to laptops only, for about 5 years now.

I'm about to move back to a desktop, though, and get a nice slim laptop to travel with.

Aug 11, 2008
Desktop for me. I do use a smartphone and android tablet for light browsing, but really, I dont understand how people can be so enamored of them. Compared to a windows desktop, they both really suck. Do love the gps on my phone though. I use it nearly every day to choose the fastest of several possible routes home from work.