Non-embryonic stem cell success story

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
:thumbsup:

Awesome

Gotta love it . . . they're doing a ton of research on using stem cells from fat at Indiana University (unrelated story) . . . my love handles are going to be worth $$$$. :p

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Wow awesome, I love science and technology. It is reasons like this that i firmly believe our natural lifespan will rise a great deal in the next 50-100 years. Of course, all these people living longer might be bad overall, but I think we will have the technology to prolong life a lot longer than it is now.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
I hope you all notice it's not embryonic stem cells.

Of course. Those unused snowflakes go into the garbage.....

Just like Jesus would have liked....

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Ya know... I can't keep track of all of bush's fuck ups. We need to a book on all the idiotic decisions this asshole has made...

Other then that! Excellent news and should have and "COULD" have been in the news four years early if we didn't have a fucking moron running the country.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: ericlp
Ya know... I can't keep track of all of bush's fuck ups. We need to a book on all the idiotic decisions this asshole has made...

Other then that! Excellent news and should have and "COULD" have been in the news four years early if we didn't have a fucking moron running the country.

I don't understand how this story has anything to do with Bush.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Cuda1447

Bush Derangement Syndrom. They're too far gone to even attempt to figure them out anymore.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: magomago
good news, we must never shut down avenues of research.
Are you sure? Every university has an ethics review board that must approve all potentially objectionable research. Many journals require studies to follow their prescribed protocols for the treatment of human cadaver tissue and even animal tissues. Some areas of research should undoubtedly be shut down. For example, I've yet to hear an ethicist accept that reproductive human cloning should be allowed.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
What's wrong with embryonic stem cell research again?

You guys do realize we take tens of thousands of embryos, crush their skulls and throw them in the dumpsters every year right?

Why not put them to good use instead of turning them into maggot food?

caboob

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Originally posted by: Cuda1447

Bush Derangement Syndrom. They're too far gone to even attempt to figure them out anymore.

It was Bush's caving in to the RRs pressure to shut down stem cell research. As a result, the US is losing its edge in this area.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton

You guys do realize we take tens of thousands of embryos, crush their skulls and throw them in the dumpsters every year right?

Because a huge percentage of the population finds it unethical. Because embryonic stem cells are not proven to be any more effective than regular stem cells.

If people want to privately fund it then so be it. I do not want my tax dollars paying for something I feel is unethical.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Because a huge percentage of the population finds it unethical. Because embryonic stem cells are not proven to be any more effective than regular stem cells.

If people want to privately fund it then so be it. I do not want my tax dollars paying for something I feel is unethical.
Yeah it's more ethical to use your tax dollars to kill humans than it is to save them.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Yeah it's more ethical to use your tax dollars to kill humans than it is to save them.

If you're referring to the war I don't have much to say on that. With the evidence we had at that time it was the right thing to do. With the evidence we have now it was not.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
good news, we must never shut down avenues of research.
Are you sure? Every university has an ethics review board that must approve all potentially objectionable research. Many journals require studies to follow their prescribed protocols for the treatment of human cadaver tissue and even animal tissues. Some areas of research should undoubtedly be shut down. For example, I've yet to hear an ethicist accept that reproductive human cloning should be allowed.

Hmm I guess I was saying that in reference to this topic ie: what type of stem cells can be researched on. I suppose everything has to go through the IRB and like you said that is where a lot of the ethical considerations come in, but we shouldn't kid ourselves and think we are at the stage of reproducing an entire human. A lot of stem cell research is still getting down basic concepts, and even in cases where we have primitive "organs" or even more "Advanced ones" (Anthony Atala and his crazy work with Kidneys come to mind) we aren't sure what exact mechanisms are taking place.

And let us be honest - stem cell research, tissue engineering, all of this regenerative medicine is really going to lead to human cloning. Once we fully understand SC, once we (however long that takes) have a good grasp to quickly, reliably and safely produce tissues, once we know the best ways to regenerate tissues for whatever purpose....it is all going to tie in to cloning.
Of course to me this is when huge ethical issues DO arise (imagine living forever if we can someone figure a way to transfer memories between bodies) and society has to consider what to do (tangent: although I have this feeling that they'll say 'fuck it' in the end and still do it; its easy for us to say no to what we cannot achieve yet, but tell that to future generations who would want to , for example, live forever)...right now the research that is preformed in no way directly ties to the goal of cloning. What we are learning is still building the basic fundamental science and that could be used in a thousand ways.

Learning the information to me should (almost ;)) never be banned - it always the application of that information that we need to consider....and for quite a while now and for the foreseeable future we are still simply accumulating knowledge and learning which is why I stated (although I shouldn't have made it an absolute - buts its very close to it) that we shouldn't be shutting off avenues of research because it accumulates knowledge and the increase of knowledge is (absolutely ;)) NEVER a bad thing.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002

If people want to privately fund it then so be it. I do not want my tax dollars paying for something I feel is unethical.[/Q]Yeah it's more ethical to use your tax dollars to kill humans than it is to save them.

:thumbsup:

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002

If you're referring to the war I don't have much to say on that. With the evidence we had at that time it was the right thing to do. With the evidence we have now it was not.

What evidence? There was no soild evidence to start a war.
BTW, you chose your username very well.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Hmm I guess I was saying that in reference to this topic ie: what type of stem cells can be researched on. I suppose everything has to go through the IRB and like you said that is where a lot of the ethical considerations come in, but we shouldn't kid ourselves and think we are at the stage of reproducing an entire human. A lot of stem cell research is still getting down basic concepts, and even in cases where we have primitive "organs" or even more "Advanced ones" (Anthony Atala and his crazy work with Kidneys come to mind) we aren't sure what exact mechanisms are taking place.
That's not what I said. I said that some avenues of research should be shut down if they are deemed unethical by those who govern such things. I gave one unrelated example that every ethicist seems to agree on: reproductive cloning. I'm not saying that reproductive cloning will arise from stem cell research or even that stem cell research is unethical - I'm just using it as the most obvious example of something that should not be allowed due to ethical considerations.
Learning the information to me should (almost ;)) never be banned - it always the application of that information that we need to consider....and for quite a while now and for the foreseeable future we are still simply accumulating knowledge and learning which is why I stated (although I shouldn't have made it an absolute - buts its very close to it) that we shouldn't be shutting off avenues of research because it accumulates knowledge and the increase of knowledge is (absolutely ;)) NEVER a bad thing.
I disagree. Once the information is available, those with less concern for ethical applications will surely use them. If we accumulate knowledge that can only be used to do something unethical, then chances are the accumulation of that knowledge is also unethical, even if it is only because it is a means to enable an unethical end.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That's not what I said. I said that some avenues of research should be shut down if they are deemed unethical by those who govern such things. I gave one unrelated example that every ethicist seems to agree on: reproductive cloning. I'm not saying that reproductive cloning will arise from stem cell research or even that stem cell research is unethical - I'm just using it as the most obvious example of something that should not be allowed due to ethical considerations.
I disagree. Once the information is available, those with less concern for ethical applications will surely use them. If we accumulate knowledge that can only be used to do something unethical, then chances are the accumulation of that knowledge is also unethical, even if it is only because it is a means to enable an unethical end.

Unquestionably in my opinion, the most interesting argument going on in this thread.

It would be interesting to see it debated among a group of your clones.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

If you're referring to the war I don't have much to say on that. With the manufactured, cherry picked evidence we had at that time it was the right thing to do. With the evidence we have now it was not.

Fixed.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

Okay I'll give you that. I did go off topic and your response is fair. If anything I may want to question (At times) the decisions of "those who govern things".

I disagree. Once the information is available, those with less concern for ethical applications will surely use them. If we accumulate knowledge that can only be used to do something unethical, then chances are the accumulation of that knowledge is also unethical, even if it is only because it is a means to enable an unethical end.[/quote]
I don't believe knowledge that is accumulated can only be used to do something unethical.