Non-Americans: Who would be the best U.S. President in terms of our interests?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
There's lot of analysis copy and pasted onto these forums regarding who the best next President of the United States would be for Americans, but how about thoughts on who would align well with the fiscal, social and political interests of the U.S.'s biggest trade partners? Here's one editor's thoughts.

Obama a threat to trade

With Barack Obama stealing a march over Hillary Clinton in the New Hampshire primary early yesterday, it is worth taking a look at just what an increasingly protectionist United States could mean for Canada and the global economy.

Note to Canadians who, according to a recent poll, would vote four-to-one for the Democrats over the Republicans and are clearly falling under the suave Senator's spell: Barack Obama is no Bill Clinton free-trader.

"There are serious benefits for both the Democrats and the Republicans to play the populist card," said Ian Bremmer, president of Eurasia Group, a political-risk consultancy in New York. "It means looking at NAFTA, pressing the Chinese hard on trade and their reluctance to revalue the renminbi, looking at SWFs (sovereign wealth funds) and throwing up hurdles that facilitate protectionism and being less willing to grease the wheels of the global economy."

For his part, Mr. Obama has said on the campaign trail that he wants to tack labour agreements on NAFTA that "reflect the basic principle that our trade agreements should not just be good for Wall Street but should also be good for main street." He did not elaborate exactly what he would push for but a new deal could perhaps include age requirements, working hour limits and conditions, or maybe even minimum wages. Mexico, more than Canada, would be the prime target.

New free trade deals would have to have similar requirements; Mr. Obama has already rejected CAFTA, the Central America Free Trade Agreement. Hillary Clinton is taking a similar tack and Republican Mike Huckabee is also playing the populist card on an anti-big-business theme.

Free trade has been an undeniable success to Canada, Mexico and the United States, boosting the flow of goods between each country. Many jobs have been lost but many more created. Education and training is the only way out for those who have been displaced.

Since NAFTA went into effect in 1994, trilateral merchandise trade between the three partners doubled from pre-NAFTA levels, reaching $958-billion in 2006. Canadian trade has been U.S. focused but Canada-Mexico trade has also grown dramatically, up 394% to $20.4-billion in 2006, helping both Canadians and Mexicans.

Meanwhile, U.S. consumers have benefitted immensely from the flow of cheap Chinese goods to the United States and now as the greenback has weakened, those in the Rust Belt who have keenly felt the sting of increased global competition, are beginning to ride a wave of exports -- the one bright spot in an economy beset by housing and credit woes.

Although it is early days in the presidential race Republican Senator John Mc-Cain also looked to come up trumps yesterday, pulling ahead of Mitt Romney. He has staunchly resisted the populist tide and has consistently got it right on trade.

Lambasting Ms. Clinton's stance on trade, he has said: "As a student of history I know that every country that has turned to protectionism has ultimately harmeditself. The steady march toward more open global trade has been a critical part of the economic miracle that is the American economy."

Unless Obama sees the light, if he wins, Canada and the global economy face a less open and ultimately less prosperous future.

It's interesting to consider the economic impact that a President Obama would have on the rest of the world. The conservative National Taxpayers Union gave Obama an "F" while big labour unions like the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) gave him a 92% grade - he doesn't seem to be a candidate for smaller government, lesser market interference and the continuance of free trade. McCain, on the other hand, aligns far better with the goals of the NTU. ("To reduce government spending, cut taxes, and protect the rights of taxpayers.")

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Obama is too inexperienced to be President.

His message sounds great and he looks great etc but I think an Obama Presidency would be one of unfulfilled promise.

Obama should head to the governors house and run a state for a few years and then run for President in 2016 or 2020.

tidehigh

Nov 13, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

His message sounds great and he looks great etc but I think an Obama Presidency would be one of unfulfilled promise.

Obama should head to the governors house and run a state for a few years and then run for President in 2016 or 2020.

exactly my Alabamian American thoughts

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: tidehigh

LOOLLLL

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

So you think 6 years in the Senate is enough?

If he wins the nomination, which he won't, all his past statement that show this inexperience will be repeat for everyone to hear.

The talk of some of the debates over the summer WAS how inexperienced he sounds when it comes to foreign relations.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
No one is in favor of free trade. If they were they would immediately cease all trade with China.

slurmsmackenzie

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
someone told me once that jesus saves... maybe he should run. i'm just not sure he has the billions of dollars required... or a navy blue suit with a red tie.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Firebot
All your candidates but Ron Paul suck, so it doesn't matter.

Nicely structured sentence. It's quite obvious English is not your first language.

slurmsmackenzie

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Skitzer

Nicely structured sentence. It's quite obvious English is not your first language.

oh shit... this is for a grade. if i would've know sentence structure counted...

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: slurmsmackenzie

oh shit... this is for a grade. if i would've know sentence structure counted...

DUH THIS IS THE INTERNET SIR! lol

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I find it interesting that insiders like Hillary are painted as old news, products of the system, corrupt, etc. and outsiders like Obama are painted as inexperienced. As far as I can tell there is a 15-20 minute window sometime around your 8th year in Washington where you can run for president and be okay.

I think it would be far more honest of people to just say that they don't like the candidate or their policies instead of coming up with arbitrary qualification requirements.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Lot of Mexican/Americans(?) will vote for Richardson, isn?t that why he is still running waiting for the primary to hit the border states.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Does anybody really care who non-americans think should run OUR country?

I don't, but a lot of people around here (and the Dem party) seem excessively concerned about what foreigners think about our Pres etc.

But yllus is mostly providing info on candidates policies that would likely affect others. That seems reasonable to me.

Other than Central & South America who may immigration policy concerns, I would think the only policy issues they should legitimately be concerned about are int'l trade, Iraq and maybe our energy policy.

Int'l trade may affect their economy.

Iraq, if handled wrong may create significant additional problems in the region potentially requiring their intervention and global economic problems if oil supplies are further disrupted.

Energy policy due to pollution concerns (They'll likely phrase it as a MMGW problem).

Fern

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Certainly Obama would not be in the interests of the many European nations that run off a white supremacist ideology.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Consider the topic of the OP. ;)

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Damn...took 8 post before someone brought him up lol I expected 3.

He is just like every other candidate we've ever had in our country. Some of his ideas are great, some are disaterous. The fact he has been in congress for 25 years is why I cant stand him. NO ONE stays in government that long without getting corrupted. No one.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Sometimes hiring a competent newbie is a good thing. Enough of the washed up pricks who've already got peoples hands in their pockets, Obama is a fine candidate. Oh, and the "white-supremacists" can suck it up, and get back to their place. That being the gutter between a dry-cleaner and a McDonald's.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I am Canadian AND European... and when I look at the U.S. candidates, I'm still juggling with complexities.

For Canada, NAFTA is not exactly milk and honey... too many eggs in one basket! I think trade relations with the rest of the world are suffering needlessly, and this is a bad policy in the long run, considering the number of skilled immigrants who bring know-how and inside information.

Besides which, to be realistic "What's good for the U.S. may not necessarily be good for the rest of the world"... Bill Clinton might have been a good boss for the Americans, but his intervention in the Kosovo war was inexcusable... Eight years ago, the though of having that idiot Lieberman as VP in the States gave me the shivers... that guy's policies are/were a total disaster... although I have to say that Bush has proven by far to be the worst U.S. president I've ever seen, he has even shattered the dewy-eyed pro-Americanism found in Eastern Europe after the fall of Communism. Now, if only that would lead to a renewed national consciousness...

Not easy to balance these things.

However, I'm going to say the following:

A: Concerning the the Republican camp
1) People like Huckabee, Romney and Thompson are outright spooky, they're like the mad preacher-turned-president in "Escape from LA"... they are so far removed from world reality, and so entrenched in those hazy, outdated "conservative" values, that they're bound to be relegated to the dustbin of history.
2) Ron Paul is an interesting choice, and he might be a win-win candidate (U.S. vs. the World), but he doesn't stand a chance. He definitely would be a refreshing break from what's been populating the White House in the last 20 years.
3) John McCain is a fascist and a hawk. I said that much during his first bid, in 2000, based on all I've heard from his mouth (I was in SC during those primaries), and I'm saying it again... the guy is dangerous, and I fear he'd be making some generally bad and nasty foreign policy choices, especially military-wise. Being a prisoner of war has definitely scarred him for life.
4) Giuliani... at the moment he's a wild card, he has a good stance on a couple of civil liberty issues, but he's an opportunist who rode the 9/11 bandwagon "ad nauseam", and he might be rash and ultimately incompetent.

B: Concerning the the Democrat camp
1) Kucinich seemed like a good guy, but he's out of the race.
2) Edwards would make a decent, but not spectacular president or VP, providing that he's honest in his promises and beliefs (which remains to be seen). On the other hand, let us remember that the original meaning of "mediocity" was something desirable in nature.
3) Hillary is a political whore, so there's no way of telling which way she'd go, but here proximity to the Hollywood lobby indicates at the very least that she'd pass some really bad pieces of legislation for consumers (let's not forget her husband's legacy concerning DMCA, DRM and other such niceties). And despite her promises, I doubt she'd do a good job with healthcare reform, despite the fact that the U.S. desperately needs it - yes, I know what the conservatives claim, but you are wrong and selfish in your views. When I add to this mix the fact that she had an inexcusable stance towards the Iraq war, I fear she'd be just as lousy as Bill when it comes to foreign policy.
4) That leaves Obama... I really like the guy, and I think he'd bring a breath of fresh air in the stale Foggy Bottom common mindset. If he's as cautious as he claims in matters of foreign policy, he'd be good for the world, and if he's only half as sincere as he claims in matters of internal policy, he will make a good and decent American president.

All in all, I fear that the U.S. voters, when faced with the novelty of having either a young, half-black OR a middle-aged woman candidate, will instinctively go for the perceived historical safety (or psychological "continuity") offered by yet another old white male. That means you (U.S. residents) and us (the rest of the world) will be stuck with the likes of Giuliani or McCain. Between these two, the Italian seems preferable, or at least not as dangerous. For the moment.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Damn...took 8 post before someone brought him up lol I expected 3.

He is just like every other candidate we've ever had in our country. Some of his ideas are great, some are disaterous. The fact he has been in congress for 25 years is why I cant stand him. NO ONE stays in government that long without getting corrupted. No one.

:confused:

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Does anybody really care who non-americans think should run OUR country?

I don't, but a lot of people around here (and the Dem party) seem excessively concerned about what foreigners think about our Pres etc.

But yllus is mostly providing info on candidates policies that would likely affect others. That seems reasonable to me.

Other than Central & South America who may immigration policy concerns, I would think the only policy issues they should legitimately be concerned about are int'l trade, Iraq and maybe our energy policy.

Int'l trade may affect their economy.

Iraq, if handled wrong may create significant additional problems in the region potentially requiring their intervention and global economic problems if oil supplies are further disrupted.

Energy policy due to pollution concerns (They'll likely phrase it as a MMGW problem).

Fern

Non-americans have every right to be interested in what we do, but not in the context that what they think or say it would change/sway my vote. I think it's important to get along with other countries as best as we can, but in the last analysis it's not who was right, but who is left.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

So you think 6 years in the Senate is enough?

If he wins the nomination, which he won't, all his past statement that show this inexperience will be repeat for everyone to hear.

The talk of some of the debates over the summer WAS how inexperienced he sounds when it comes to foreign relations.

If we based everything off experiance. The nominees would be Richardsons for the Ds and McCain for the Rs.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003

Integrity and vision are more important than being an experienced Washington insider. Obama has what America needs most. He will have advisors supporting him on tough decisions.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Ldir

Integrity and vision are more important than being an experienced Washington insider. Obama has what America needs most. He will have advisors supporting him on tough decisions.

Americans don't want integrity. They want a salesman, they want to be entertained.