Nokia Lumia 822

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
So I currently have a Galaxy Nexus and Droid DNA. I was planning on selling the Nexus but had to keep it as a back up to my current phone because of a 4G issue. My DNA lost all 4G reception so I have to get it replaced.

Anyway, I'm thinking while I have the Nexus, I can possibly try a new phone. Well, I've wanted to try WP for quite some time, and I've found someone in my area that is willing to trade me his 822 for my Nexus plus $100.

I know the shortcomings of the device and the platform, but I still want to try that as my daily driver. What are some of your opinions? Is this a good move or a bad move?

While I like the DNA, I hate how locked down it is and have toyed with the idea of selling it instead of waiting it out for S-Off and more devs to jump on it, but I have grown to like the device more and more each day. The Nexus is an awesome phone in general, and I would be a little sad to see it go. :p

phantom404

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
I think it just depends on what you really want to do. If it was me I would do it but thats just because I like the WP8 os alot better. The last android phone I had was the GS3 and I'm not missing it. I've had the 822 and loved it (I have the htc 8x now). Nokia has great support and gets all the exclusive apps. Guess it just depends on how bad you want to try a new phone.

pantsaregood

Feb 13, 2011
The Lumia 822 and HTC 8X are both excellent, and I'd personally say they're both superior to the Galaxy Nexus. If you're interested in trying WP8, however, you may want to wait a few weeks. A new Lumia device destined for America just showed up on Nokia's servers - Verizon may potentially be receiving a flagship Nokia device.

Otherwise, the 822 is good. The only thing that isn't "high-end" about it is the 800x480 screen.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If you're annoyed at how locked down the DNA is, wouldn't you be even more annoyed with WP8?

I'd go with the HTC over Nokia.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
If you're annoyed at how locked down the DNA is, wouldn't you be even more annoyed with WP8?

Not necessarily. I don't like the way HTC has switched out awesome stock Android apps with their own extremely mediocre offerings. Also, it has got to the point where I can't stand the thought of having to back up my apps myself, my layout, my everything in order to switch to a new phone or in order to install a new ROM, etc.., on Android. The Nexus was different because the process just felt 100% easier to me.

Don't get me wrong. I am going to keep the DNA and move it over to a ROM and stick with that, but I feel like eventually it will be unlocked and I'll be able to use it.

With WP8, I'm not really worried about my app choices or defaults because I know what they offer on WP, and I'm quite happy about that. On every phone, you're going to get an extremely similar experience and it'll be fluid. I won't have to worry about backing anything up nor will I have to deal with customizing it. I'm a fan of a simplistic customization job because I don't want to get into details with all of the widgets to make this 100% unique job on Android. I'd love to, but that's not for me. I feel like WP is a good platform that needs to build, and I just want to try it out.

My friend suggested I wait till the 920 variant for Verizon comes out and then I somehow purchase that, but I don't see a way for me to get that phone when I have this one at my fingertips.

pantsaregood

Feb 13, 2011
As I said, Windows Phone devices generally offer extremely consistent experiences. The difference between my Lumia 920 and a Lumia 820 is only as deep as the internal storage, camera, and screen. The processor, RAM, and GPU are all identical.

Also, the 810/820/822 (all variants of the same device, really) support micro-SD expansion, so storage becomes a nonissue.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

My thoughts exactly

Seems like he's into rooting and maybe roms too, so why go WP8?

OP,

My HTC One S has S-ON as well, but there is an app called "Flash Image GUI" and I'm pretty sure the Droid DNA was just added. It makes flashing so easy, even with S-ON. Flash GUI will index the Rom ZIP, find the boot.img, flash it, and then reboot to recovery where you then flash the zip as usual. Works every single time for me. Takes less than 5 minutes to flash a rom.

Last edited:

DB10

Feb 2, 2013
If you want to get it, get it - but I do think you're being screwed over a bit (unless your GNex is in really bad shape).

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
If you want to get it, get it - but I do think you're being screwed over a bit (unless your GNex is in really bad shape).

It's not in terrible shape. Battery still lasts a whole day. The body has a few nicks and could be replaced. Honestly, I don't see how I'm getting screwed. The phone is good, yes, but I want to try a new platform. Also, I think I talked him down from $100 to $50 so that's good.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
It's not in terrible shape. Battery still lasts a whole day. The body has a few nicks and could be replaced. Honestly, I don't see how I'm getting screwed. The phone is good, yes, but I want to try a new platform. Also, I think I talked him down from $100 to $50 so that's good.

Galaxy Nexus for VZW seems to go for $170 on ebay.
Lumia 822 seems to go for $220-250 or so.

So Nexus + $50 seems fair for the Lumia 822. Nexus + $100 seemed like a bad deal IMO.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
So I got the 822.

So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I just need to get more apps on this guy!

Recommendations needed! :)

Last edited: