Noise Ninja

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
how do you do this in photoshop? i have CS2

actually, when you install the full version of neat image, it shows up as a filter inside PS CS2. selecting that brings up NI in a separate window. once you hit apply, it goes back to PS

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami
how do you do this in photoshop? i have CS2

actually, when you install the full version of neat image, it shows up as a filter inside PS CS2. selecting that brings up NI in a separate window. once you hit apply, it goes back to PS

i actually meant natively in CS2 without any 3rd party plugins. astroidea explained it though.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: astroidea
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: astroidea
photoshop's own noise reduction seems pretty good to me.
It was comparable to noise ninja imo.
But either way, I prefer the sharp, detailed, and noisy look over the smoothed over, plastic, noise reduction look.
Just reduce Chroma noise. Leave the luminance noise. You'll keep the detail and get rid of the ugliness of the color noise.

To the OP: The god's honest truth is that I think the original image is the best. All the noise-reduced images have smearing in the hair.

ZV
Chroma noise often makes the colors look unnatural.
Which is why I said to reduce it while leaving the luminance noise un-reduced...

ZV

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
To the OP: The god's honest truth is that I think the original image is the best. All the noise-reduced images have smearing in the hair.

ZV

Good advice here! I couldn't agree more - I tend to find 'noise-reduced' images to be lacking detail and clarity between fine lines, such as this girl's hair and on the bed sheets. The original image looks the best to my eyes; the noise-reduction tends to leave skin looking overly-smooth and unnatural. I use to use Noise Ninja, but have stopped using it. I would rather have the grain and clarity versus the overly-processed textures.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I downloaded trial versions of Neat Image and Noiseware also and tested them out.

Of the 3, based on "out of the box" tests, meaning i didn't change any settings, Noiseware was the best IMO.

Neat Image filtered
Noiseware filtered

what do you guys think?

From those two examples, I like Neat Image better. Noiseware allows for more detail though.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I love noise ninja. It's great. To tell you the truth neat image and noise ninja are the same to me. However, they both will do different things on automatic modes.
Just like almost any retouching, I use layers. I liberally apply noise ninja on an image (default level by chart), then layer mask out some on the hair and skin.

Plastic skin and blurred hair are the fault of the retouchers, not the product. Don't blame the product.