No work from Rosetta?

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
My Rosetta queue is empty on both boxes :( yet I don't see an outage?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The only work available right now is for the Python application, which requires VirtualBox and about 8GB of RAM for each task. So you might have Python disabled in your preferences, or you might not have VB or enough RAM.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
What @Fardringle said.
https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/server_status.php — shows work available per application
https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/apps.php — shows basic info about applications per platform
https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/top_hosts.php — shows what other hosts are running¹

Unfortunately, there are virtually never any estimates of the project admins posted in the Rosetta@home message board about when work batches will be made ready, and how long they might last. (That's the complete opposite to World Community Grid.) Also, among the many posts with questions and complaints from users in the message board, it is very hard to spot the few really helpful posts in there, like e.g. this one.

________
¹) There are actually some classic Rosetta v4.20 workunits which were created very recently. But they are certainly created at such a low rate that only few hosts are able to receive some, and server_status.php ends up showing 0 of such work available all the time.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I gave up with Python tasks after a few were taking a few+ days to finish the last ~0.001% of the WU!

Any idea what that's about?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I gave up with Python tasks after a few were taking a few+ days to finish the last ~0.001% of the WU!

Any idea what that's about?
Did they actually finish by themselves, or did you abort them before you could find out?

The problem is also reported by others, and it seems the tasks are hanging while consuming only very little CPU. Perhaps the guest within the rosetta python projects VM is unsuccessfully trying to perform some network transfers, or other maintenance related features, instead of actually working on the scientific workload…?

…the newer "rosetta python projects" application which requires VirtualBox and huge amounts of RAM.
Actually, it seems the RAM footprint is down from 8 GB to "just" 3 GB now. But the disk footprint is still large.

Edit, some tasks still want 6 or 8 GB RAM.

Yet its seems PPD are way down for "rosetta python projects" in comparison to "Rosetta v4.20" even if a host wasn't RAM- or disk-limited.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I aborted all of them, I did keep one going for about 4+ days to see if it finished, but in the end I got fed up with it :p

• Haha
Reactions: voodoo5_6k

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I didn’t even mind having VirtualBox. I have it on my system and up to date. The problem is I have Hyper-V as well, which I need for lab work to integrate with CI/CD pipelines. Using the Hyper-V Virtualization Engine in VirtualBox has been supported for nearly 2 years now, but Rosetta still throws an error saying VirtualBox is not installed. If they ever figure out that whole situation my system is open to take on work units, but otherwise they’re making it extra hard and I can’t just uninstall Hyper-V.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, my DC work is a mess now, as I can't count on Rosetta or WCG, but now I have some of both. Normally, I would designate one project to different boxes, but I can never tell when any box will get any work. Here is the current ste:
1660865902260.png