no windows CD key on refurbished dell latitude E6500

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I got a refurb dell latitude E6500... i want to do a clean format and install windows properly due to all the junk it came with. But I can't find a windows sticker... is this a new thing where now they don't put your windows key in an available place?

I guess I can get a program that will find me windows key. but I am curious to know if this is new policy, because its a refurb, or because it is running windows vista business edition.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Why not call your source and ask for the key?

ecom

Feb 25, 2009
Did you check under the battery?

If you just got the computer, you can call Dell and they will overnight you a DVD of whatever OS came with your computer. You can get 64 bit version if you want also.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
thanks for the suggestions, i will look under the battery, i will also dell about 64bit edition.
it is actually my dad's computer. but i will see him tomorrow. (we live in the same town so we meet often)

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
As a side note, you really just need one of Dell's OS discs. You don't need to put in a CD-Key when you reinstall from the manufacturer's disc. At least that's the case with all of the Latitude D Series that I've dealt with at work.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: seepy83
As a side note, you really just need one of Dell's OS discs. You don't need to put in a CD-Key when you reinstall from the manufacturer's disc. At least that's the case with all of the Latitude D Series that I've dealt with at work.

thank you for the suggestion. But I am reinstalling BECAUSE of all the JUNK dell put on my computer... i want a virgin windows install from my OWN disks using my legit key; not a dell install.
i will also be getting my drivers from intel and nvidia, not dell.

Originally posted by: IlllI
generally there is a sticker underneath

Usually, but this laptop does not have a sticker anywhere on it that I could see. I did not however think to take out the battery to look underneath it before someone mentioned it here.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Dell's install disks only install Windows, they don't install the other 3rd party apps. And I don't understand why you're hating on the drivers they provide.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre
Dell's install disks only install Windows, they don't install the other 3rd party apps. And I don't understand why you're hating on the drivers they provide.

AFAIK, all the Dell Windows discs I've ever used never had the drivers on them and always had to install them from their Resource CD or download them and burn them prior to reformatting.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004

dell does not make drivers, they provide the same drivers from nvidia and intel and the like... only outdated.
the CD that comes with your PC has the most outdated drivers, the manufacturer website has somewhat outdated drivers, and the most up to date drivers are on the sites of the companies who made the individual components.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
As Bamacre said above, the Dell Operating System reinstall disc only reinstalls the Operating System. Any additional applications or drivers would need to be installed seperately.

Also, even if the laptop did have a Windows Sticker on it, the product key would not work for a retail copy of Windows.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Also, even if the laptop did have a Windows Sticker on it, the product key would not work for a retail copy of Windows.
I know, I have access to all manner of install disks and I was going to use an OEM version.

I thought he said restore disk for some reason. yes the OS install disk is just the OS. Of course, they NO LONGER GIVE THOSE OUT with new computers. instead they put a "restore partition" which you can use to "reinstall" your OS (and all the junk). That is part of an attempt to stem casual piracy (oh look I got a new OS disk with my new computer, I am gonna install it on all the old computers i own... with key generated keys and cracks i downloaded along with ISOs of the exact same thing... durr...)

EDIT: actually this is actually to prevent resale and or transfer between multiple computers you own... part of the OEM eula states that the key is bound to that computer and is not transferable.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Well, your original plan won't work. Even if you had the COA sticker on the bottom of the machine, the key on that sticker would not work with a native install of windows that you bought elseware. The keys on the COA have no value to anything other than the Dell hardware.... Fun how they do that.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
incorrect, it will work with ANY OEM OS install. the OEMs are all the same. and as a professional computer repairman I have access to all needed disks.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: taltamir
incorrect, it will work with ANY OEM OS install. the OEMs are all the same. and as a professional computer repairman I have access to all needed disks.

I can confirm this. The product key on any OEM system will work with a matching OEM version of a Windows install disc. What is really interesting is the key that's on the COA isn't the key that's in the windows install from the OEM. OEMs have SLP keys that are pretty much one big key for their entire line of hardware. Running a keyfinder will get you the SLP key, but it won't work with an OEM disc. With that said, there are way to take an OEM disc and with the right files make your own OEM SLP windows install disc. See here: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=2602

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
OEMs have SLP keys that are pretty much one big key for their entire line of hardware. Running a keyfinder will get you the SLP key, but it won't work with an OEM disc.
Oh right, i forgot about that... it is actually how some cracks work, a bios emulator combined with preactivated OEM install using generic manufacturer key.. aka, dell, hp, etc.

I am aware of the ways to do it but I want to install it with my own key. I will be visiting my dad @ 5pm today, and I will check under the battery then.

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Have you tried calling Dell and asking for an OS disc? With your service tag they may be able to provide you with the Windows key. (Although they may want some type of proof of the tag number)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I found it, it was hidden under the battery.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and helping me in solving this issue.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
If you have access to "all needed discs" you should have access to a Dell OEM CD. I'm not a "computer repairman" and I have legitimate copies of Dell OEM XP Home, XP Media Center, XP Pro and Vista x86 and X64.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007

dell does not make drivers, they provide the same drivers from nvidia and intel and the like... only outdated.
the CD that comes with your PC has the most outdated drivers, the manufacturer website has somewhat outdated drivers, and the most up to date drivers are on the sites of the companies who made the individual components.

You have to be careful with laptop drivers, remember that they are very synchronized pieces of equipment and can't be treated like desktops.

Sometimes you have to live with outdated drivers...HP normally once a year updates the graphics driver from HP dv9550t. If I get my driver straight from nvidia, it damages my dual monitor support, making dual monitor, especially by HDMI, glitchy.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
you should have access to a Dell OEM CD
I do, no such disk was included with the laptop though.

If you do, then you know it's a plain windows disc. I don't know why you don't want to use it and utilize the SLP bios on the machine.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Raduque
you should have access to a Dell OEM CD
I do, no such disk was included with the laptop though.

If you do, then you know it's a plain windows disc. I don't know why you don't want to use it and utilize the SLP bios on the machine.

i already explained that I thought he said RESTORE disk. they used to include a "restore disk" and a "windows disk". The windows disk was OEM windows, the restore disk a disk image with a program that will reformat, repartition, and copy over said image.