piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
Hi, I encountered this issue when trying to boot my desktop computer. It's Asus X99-DELUXE II motherboard, i7-6950X, Asus Strix GTX 1080, 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600), OCZ Technology RevoDrive 3 X2 and few other HDs all of them on full tower with Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W 80 PLUS Gold power supply.

OK, so first I checked my Dell monitor and it works perfectly with the laptop via HDMI. It doesn't find the signal from the desktop though.
Then I replaced the graphics card, but it didn't change anything.
I also tried to erase CMOS, but it didn't change anything.

One thing, which is suspicious to me is that when I press the power button the power supply starts and then stops for maybe 2 sec and then starts again without problem, but it was acting like that for some time already.

Another suspicious thing is that the reset button doesn't work, either the one located on the motherboard directly, or the one on the front panel.

Can somebody help me? This is my main photo/video editing workstation and I can't do any work without it, so I am really desperate.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
What does the qcode led show when this happens? Does the mb have status led's and what color do they show in relation to the manual's status depiction of a normal state?

piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
What does the qcode led show when this happens?

It shows "00" which means "not used" according to the m/b user guide. However, one of the 4 LEDs, which are in the top left corner of the m/b is shining red, so I assume it means boot problem, but I am not sure which LED is assigned to which error code.

piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
Can you swap the psu ?
I was also thinking about that. I have the new m/b and the new PSU coming from Amazon today. Hope it's not the CPU.
I still can't figure out what this red shining LED on the m/b means. Funny enough the guy from Asus technical support wasn't able to tell me either.
There are 4 very small LEDs in the top left corner (the bottom is where the back panel is) of the m/b and the first one from the corner (the closest one to the corner) is shining red light, but from the user guide I am unable to figure out if it's the one marked as "boot problem", or the one marked "CPU problem".
After taking the CPU off and restarting the same LED is still lit, so I assume it's not the CPU, but it maybe the CPU socket on the m/b.
Will try to replace the m/b first and see if this helps.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Ok,
From my experience it is never an intel cpu unless OC'd. ( I understand your nervousness over its condition. That's the first 6950X I've seen in the wild). Where there is power on/off symptoms, psu is usually the first suspect.

piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
My guess would be the m/b failure, because PSU has been acting like this for a long time without any implications for the whole system. The CPU was overclocked, but within reasonable limits and this PC is not used for gaming, so I don't expect the CPU to be failing. Even if it was a CPU I should be able to have video signal from the VGA card on my monitor with some error message about the CPU, but I can't see anything. No video signal at all and this is not my VGA card.

Last edited:

piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
You might want to read this thread as this happened when their mb died. If its less than 3 years old it should still have some warranty left on it which you can verify with your asus account.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3169687/x99-deluxe-qcode-post.html
Thanks!
So, in my case it's even stranger, because everything on the m/b seems to be normal, all fans spinning, with just one exception of this error LED I mentioned above.
The replacement is supposed to be delivered today, so I hope it will do it.
By the way, this is $350+ m/b and it was installed brand new just a year ago, so I am really apprehensive now. I ordered exactly the same model to make the replacement as easy and fast as possible, but maybe I should go for some completely different model to avoid the same problem in the future?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Hang on. Wait. Lets see how the replacement goes. I have a similar board, been good .

piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
So, now I am even more puzzled than before: I replaced the m/b (exactly the same model) and it didn't change anything either. Still no video signal. No Qcode on the display, but one of the error LEDs still on like before.
The only 2 parts I didn't try is the PSU and CPU. I assume if it was a CPU then I would be getting at least some initial error message from the BIOS like "no CPU detected", or something, but it's not the case, just no video signal at all. The problem with PSU I mentioned before magically disappeared, so there is no delay after I press the power button now and no "double start".
Any ideas?

I have another PSU, but it seems to be working perfectly now. I don't have another CPU though.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
One of our eminent members recently pointed out that it takes very little to illuminate the leds and a psu may have power to that extent but nothing more. Swap it out.

piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
One of our eminent members recently pointed out that it takes very little to illuminate the leds and a psu may have power to that extent but nothing more. Swap it out.
So, I swapped the PSU as well... no change. Now I am completely puzzled, because if it was a CPU then I should be getting some error message from the BIOS anyway, but I just have no video signal at all :(
Any ideas?
I ordered a new CPU, which is going to show up tomorrow. Called ASUS tech support again and they were helpless as usual :(
Man, I am really desperate now.

piowoc

Nov 4, 2012
So, I was finally able to talk to somebody more knowledgeable (maybe?) from ASUS tech support and what he claimed was that:
1. There would be no error code on the screen from the X99-Deluxe II m/b in case of the CPU failure.
2. There would be no Qcode on the display either.
3. The only error indicator would be the red light LED in the top left corner of the m/b.

Call me old fashioned, or old school, but at my times there was an error on the screen if you forgot to put the CPU in and you powered the system on.
Not with this m/b though!

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The bios is supposed to beep at you during the post phase if something is wrong unless you have disconnected the speaker.