No video on power-up using Skylake G4500 with Corsair CX430 Power Supply

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I've just finished putting together a new PC with all my preferred parts. There is no video at power-up. I don't hear any beeps (I need to double check that a motherboard speaker is hooked up). Case and CPU fans are spinning. But no video.

I was caught off guard by the fact that this is the first power supply I ever encountered where there was no 4-pin CPU power supply cable to be found. Instead there was an 8-pin cable labeled CPU. I eventually realized this could be separated into 2 4-pin cables. So I did that and hooked up just a single 4-pin cable to the motherboard. I'm not happy about the proximity of the onboard CPU power connector in relation to the external usb ports and ps/2 keyboard connector. The 4-pin cable goes on but with pressure against the external connector. It's not ideal. If I had a true 4-pin CPU connector that was square all around this wouldn't be as much of an issue. But because it's a split 8-pin there is a protruding piece outside the square connector which is part of the design that holds the 2 separate 4-pin connectors together.

ASRock%20probem%202_zpsgpyc0m3t.png

I bought this motherboard and CPU much earlier than I began using it. One question I have is whether or not the BIOS for this system was compatible with SkyLake CPUs at the time. I read somewhere where it may not have been.

What have I tried so far?
1. Disconnecting 1 sata hard drive
2. Removing/re-installing both memory chips in different configurations and rebooting with
none, 1 -chip, and back to the original 2-chips.

I hope someone can recommend some "easy" troubleshooting tips to get this figured out. Thanks for all suggestions.

20170524_1150251_zpsuhpqkekg.jpg

Here are all the parts:

DIYPC DIY-F2-O Black/Orange USB 3.0 Micro-ATX Mini Tower Gaming Computer Case with 2 x Orange LED Fans (Pre-installed)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353095

ASRock H110M-ITX/ac LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157687

CORSAIR CX Series CX430 430W 80 PLUS BRONZE Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Intel Pentium G4500 Skylake Dual-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662G4500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117624

Patriot Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Extreme Performance Memory, Black Sides / Red Top Model PV416G300C6K
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220977

ASRock%20suggestion_zpsfpy14pzr.jpg

*****Warning***** long Rant: Getting the 24-pin ATX power supply cable to connect to this motherboard was a *****. It's like walking on eggshells. To get a full connection requires great pressure. Pushing straight down on the connector, eventually, the motherboard will begin to bend in the middle because of no support right in the middle/underneath the board. So I try holding the bottom of the motherboard up with my fingers as best as I can. This was very painful. In retrospect, the easier solution might have been to remove the motherboard and connect the 24-pin power supply cable first. But I am very cautious about this solution as well. It probably comes with it's own set of problems. I'm not sure who I wanna scream at most. The ATX people for making the connectors so hard to get in or the motherboard manufacturer for not putting a 3rd hole in the center of this motherboard for an extra support beam underneath. What are those things called again? Metal standoff I guess.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I agree that the position of the 4-pin ATX12V connector is poor, at least the clearance around it. But for the 24-pin main ATX connector, well, that's pretty standard, mostly. It can largely depend on the PSU's connector too.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I agree that the position of the 4-pin ATX12V connector is poor, at least the clearance around it. But for the 24-pin main ATX connector, well, that's pretty standard, mostly. It can largely depend on the PSU's connector too.

The position of the 24-pin connector is fine. But the force required to get it connected 100% is ridiculously over the top if you do it after installing the motherboard. Very much unlike a ZIF socket CPU. Something has to give here.

This is where some collaboration between PSU and motherboard manufacturers would be a good thing. I did come up with a hack by temporarily slipping a very thin notepad underneath the motherboard to support the downward pressure better.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The position of the 24-pin connector is fine. But the force required to get it connected 100% is ridiculously over the top if you do it after installing the motherboard. Very much unlike a ZIF socket CPU. Something has to give here.

This is where some collaboration between PSU and motherboard manufacturers would be a good thing. I did come up with a hack by temporarily slipping a very thin notepad underneath the motherboard to support the downward pressure better.
The PSU that you chose is known for that issue, btw. I've experienced it as well.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
That's interesting to know. I will leave a review on newegg when I get the chance. Constructive criticisms for better products in the future.

On another note, after pushing a few things in and pulling them back out, i.e. memory chips, power connectors, etc., along with some bumping, some grinding, some hail Marys and sprinkling a little magic fairy dust on the new system, it is booting to video. What a wonderful joy to see a brand new system actually work...like it's supposed to. My hope was dwindling a bit. I wasted a good whole day bumping, pushing, pulling and grinding. I guess it pays off once in awhile.

Or to put it another way, I have no ******* clue why it's working now...but it is...so I'm happy.

P.S. The fairy dust was just a joke. I don't actually have any.

Last edited:

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
24-pin connectors, especially when both the PSU and motherboard are new, are always horrible in my experience. Unfortunately there isn't really any better way for transferring the necessary current at all the different voltages needs to define to meet the ATX spec in a similar footprint.

Still, it's not like it's a connector you need to disconnect and reconnect often, at least.

And lastly, given that motherboard standoffs have a standardized placement across ATX, mATX and ITX, I doubt you'll see any changes there any time soon. Adding a hole through a densely populated ITX board is not a simple matter (especially right next to the ATX power and RAM traces!). Still, the amount of flex you some times have to exert a motherboard to can indeed be scary.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
And that really is the main frustration. The fear of breaking something you just spent good money on. I just sold an older motherboard and cpu combo and it took me longer than I believe it should have to disconnect the USB 3 internal case cable from the motherboard for the external USB 3.0 ports and the main 24-pin ATX power supply connector from the motherboard. I was sweating bullets most of the time. I'm getting ready to buy a new CPU and motherboard combo so I get to have more ... ummm.... fun...once I get my new parts. :eek: