No video display after IE7 update

May 28, 2008
So,
The other night while sitting in my room here in Arifjan Kuwait I decided to update IE to 7. Now I wish I didn't. Here is what happened:
After installing IE7 I seletcted "do not reboot" as I was texting with my wife.
I got done with my conversation, shut down my laptop.
The next night after work I went to log on, everything ok, about 5 minutes later, computer freezes. No warning beeps or anything like that. Here are the steps I took:
Shutdown, reboot
lights come on, fans run, hd spins, no screen
next
shut down, removed battery & plug jogged for 5 miles came back installed battery and plug
computer booted to xp sign on started to sign on, froze
shut down, booted, lights come on, fans run hd spins, no screen
next
shut down, removed battery & plug waited up to 30 min. plugged in (no battery) to safe
mode; in safe mode for less than 1 min. freeze
next
shut down, rebooted, lights come on, fans run hd spins, no screen
As on laptops I can see the screen display change from that black screen to that start up black screen, when the power comes on, but nothing actually displays.
I did add memory about 2 months ago, but have pulled that and tried to boot also, with no positive outcome. I am running the all mighty XP SP2/ with that IE7 just installed. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
Are you sure the IE7 update caused it? sounds to me like it's just a fluke, and a hardware issue more than a software issue. PC is NOT booting at all, so I guess a system restore is out of the question...and that would be my only advice. Sorry.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
A laptop that freezes is showing signs of overheating. Possibly your CPU heatsink is clogged and the fan is either not spinning, or can't move air thru there. Get some compressed air and blow it into the intake and watch the dust shoot out the other end. If no compressed air, just blow into the fan yourself.

Do you have access to an external monitor, just to rule out the laptop's screen being bad? maybe the light is burnt out...it happens.

Your problem does sound coincidental. IE7 or any other program wont' stop the bios from showing at all.

May 28, 2008
lights come on, fans run, hd spins, no screen
The computer is booting up. No, I am not positive it is a IE7 issue, but considering that nothing else has been installed, loaded, removed or reconfigured other then IE6, I could only assume it's from the software. As I said, it will boot possibly log in,then freeze if I disconnect all power for a bit. If I was near a Fry's, Best buy or even Circuit City, I'd try SOMETHING!
UPDATE: I stared at the laptop for a few minutes, cursed and then closed it up

May 28, 2008
Thanks for the info. I did blow out that area, one of my Soldiers bought a new laptop and I have his old one. He was about to throw away. I'll see if I can't get the display off that one and connect it to mine. Although I've never done this before I'm assuming the plugs will mary up, well, his is a 15inc, mine is 17 wide, so maybe it won't. Either way I'll try.
Again, thanks for the info.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
If they're different brands of laptop the screens may well not be compatible. The connections from the screen into the main part of the laptop are usually different as they've already passed through the video controlled on the mainboard. If it's the same type of laptop you might be in luck, though.

May 28, 2008
well, chud! Guess that wont work! Mine is an off brand (Pro-Star) the other is a Dell. I've had the lappy for 4 or 5 years shipped to me while stationed in Iraq. I'd hate to buy another now that I'm in Kuwait! YEP!! this blows.....

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
No, not switch screens. That won't work (as has been noted). Get an actual MONITOR from a desktop PC and connect that to the laptop (there should be a blue VGA plug somewhere on the laptop).

May 28, 2008
I was thinking of that also. But the problem I've run into is No one has desktops (no room) and work is a secured location. No laptops in no hardware out.