No Spawning in Diablo 2 - anyone else pissed?

ChrisL

Oct 14, 1999
Man, am I annoyed. I just found out that Diablo 2 doesn't allow spawing the way Diablo 1 did. I go and preorder the Collectors edition a month ago I asked the slaesperson at EB if they knew if Diablo 2 still allowed spawing the way Diablo did. He said it did. So I figured great. Yesterday I pick up my game and bring it home with the plans of spending this whole long weekend playing it multiplayer here on my lan with my girlfirend. I get it home and lo and behold. No spawing!!! I call EB and find oujt they are sold out of Diablo. Now I am going to have to spend all weekend doing other stuff cause she won't want to let me play all weekend if she can't play too. Argh - maybe we will play Gauntlet Legends instead.

Why oh why did they have to remove spawning? Probably just want to sell more copies - Cheap Bastards.

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
Ok, I know D2 is a popular new game and all, but this really belongs in the software forum...

Shazam

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
Spawning allows you to make copies of the game for other people, but they're only multiplayer enabled. This way, you can play the game with other people even if they don't have the game. Quite nice actually.

ChrisL

Oct 14, 1999
I tired that already but have been unsuccessful. I have also tried a NOCD patch from gamecopyworld but it didn't work either. I am open to any other Ideas. I have played a bit of the game this morning and it is awesome, Ijust wish we could play together.

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Really? Spawning was the full version but multiplayer only? Whoa! I thought it was just the demo! Bedsides, who cares about single player? In the first one I played single player to about the butcher, said this sucks, played multiplayer, and never turned back. Probably something to do with the fact that when I first played I was given all this awesome stuff and was in the caves at level 5 (I didn't know that all the stuff was hacked items at the time :) ).

Your lucky you have a girlfriend that wants to play games. Thats one of those things that I want but will never get :p

lupohki

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
It copied fine using a plextor 8/20 and cdclone. I made a backup of the play disc so I could keep the original scratch free.

Haervii

Apr 20, 2000
Piku-which one will you never have- a girlfriend or one that doesn't like a game with blood-splattering action?

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Games period. I dont think I know a girl who is even remotley interested in games period :p

Guess I'll just have to start hanging around the POS arcades that are around here :p

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah. Try CloneCD. It can copy most copy protected discs if you have the right CDRW.

randypj

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The no-cd worked on my regular edition.

ChrisL--man, I would kill for, or at least worship, a fine 19-25 year old g/f that liked games. I had one, but let her get away. Shouldn't of done that.
--Randy

Jim

Oct 9, 1999
Trinitron did you read his post? If you had you would realize what a ridiculous "statement" you made.

3putt

Mar 3, 2000
Seems alot of games publishers have gone cheap this way. I bought c&c 2 expecting it would be like c&c 1. In c&c 1 there were two disks so you could share one with a friend and play against each other. It even encouraged it in the manual. Then here comes c&c 2 still has two disks but good old serria put in that serial # and now you cant share. About the same thing as no spawing in D2. Guess greed got the best of them. :(

resinboy

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
ChrisL.: don't feel bad- I can't get the damn game to even load ! I have been running detonator2 drivers on my GForce, (UT rocks with them), but I keep getting an "illegal operation" error in Windows, and can't boot from the disk( tried all 3 of my cdrom units). Think this one may be going back till version 1.02 comes out.

joeyd

Jun 7, 2000
resinboy : try turning dma on in your settings for your cdrom drives , get this i have a cdr , a cdrom and a dvd player all in my computer , i have one disk that works only in my dvd player , one that works in my cdr with dma checked off and i had to borrow my sisters cdrom to get the last disk to work :)

ChrisL

Oct 14, 1999
Well, I am happier now. I finally found a newer noCD patch that works (at gamecopy world). And we played Diablo from 8pm-3am. multiplayer. Mow that my girlfirends charcter is level 7 I'll let her play single player so she can do the quests I already fininshed, and when she is ready we'll go after Andariel. Needless to say I was happy to find a working CD patch. The only thing was that the instructions they had with it didn't work for me the way they were written. There were two sets and I had to combine the 2. I do find that Diablo2 lags alot on my slower machine though. It is a P2-300 w 128MB Ram and a Rage Fury 32. I think it would run really slow on a Pentium 233. Anyone running it any anything slower than what I am using?

Raptor

Dec 19, 1999
I am a newbie to copying cds. So can you tell me how to do it in general. I have a plextor, but the discdupe didnt work for me. Is there any other software that works well??

dura

Oct 10, 1999
I applied that no-CD patch mentioned by Chrisl, in the hope that gameplay would be less choppy. No luck, still choppy, patch works perfect though (requires to copy the music files from CD to HD) so this might be interesting to others.
I still do not understand why a game with such graphics is such a system-hog.

Shazam

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
Try reducing your cd-cache to zero in the control panel. That often removes the stuttering.

himohimo

Apr 20, 2000
Use Clone CD if you have a supported CDR... guess whose's copy my room mate's using? :(