Question "no signal" to monitor mystery

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So I replaced the motherboard and CPU on my rig. New motherboard is Gigabyte ax370, new CPU Ryzen 5 5600x. Video card is geforce RTX 3060. PSU is evga 550 watt gold rated.

All power connectors plugged in, including the 8 pin VGA (which is a 6 pin + 2 pin with this PSU).

Long and short, I turn it on, power light turns on, all fans activate, including GPU fans. No video signal.

Tried swapping out the monitor for another which works on my wife's rig. Still no signal.

Tried cleaning the RAM connectors. Even tried a different RAM stick.

Tried bypassing the video card by plugging the monitor directly into the board.

I'm running out of ideas.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Your problem is that AMD doesn't support Ryzen 5000 processors on x370 chipset motherboards. The best you can presently do on that board is a Ryzen 3000 processor unless Gigabyte elects to release a compatible BIOS.

There have been some OEMs to release beta BIOSes supporting Ryzen 5000 chips on chipsets below 400 series (Asrock in particular released a bunch of them back in December). However, there is no guarantee Gigabyte will do so (they aren't obligated to do so since AMD doesn't officially support it).

BTW, the 5600x doesn't have onboard graphics so the motherboard video output wouldn't work anyway (it only works for APUs with onboard graphics).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So I replaced the motherboard and CPU on my rig. New motherboard is Gigabyte ax370, new CPU Ryzen 5 5600x.
I see the problem already... X370 doesn't support Zen3-arch CPUs. At least, not "officially".

Did you previously flash the board with a "beta BIOS" for Zen3 support, with a different (Zen2) CPU? If not, then that's your problem. Also your problem tracking down any Zen3-compatible BIOS firmware for X370 boards, since you won't find them at mfg's web sites (unless they want to anger AMD, or AMD has had a change of heart).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, so it's a 3600. Did the box that the mobo shipped in (was it new?), say "Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready" on it? If NOT, then you'll have to dig out a Zen/Zen+ CPU, and flash the BIOS to a newer one that supports Zen2 (3000-series) CPUs.

Note that Gigabyte often has specific "bridge BIOS" versions, that you must ascend *through*, when flashing your BIOS to the newest available. (Much like ASRock does as well.)

If that doesn't apply, have you tried the video card in the chipset PCI-E slot, the second or bottom-most PCI-E x16 slot? (May not fit in bottom slot, if case is standard 7-slot expansion bay case physically, as they often put the last / bottom PCI-E x16 in the 7th slot.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Waitasec. RTX 3060? Not RTX 3060 ti? The 3060 wasn't supposed to be out until like Feb. 12th or 21st or something, wasn't it? You work at MC? :p

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Damn, sorry, I mistyped or forgot. It's a 3600. not a 5600. Sorry you typed all that for an inapplicable answer.

No problem. However, unless the board has BIOS F40 or later aboard, it is still the same issue. The x370 chipset preceeded the Ryzen 3000 series release, so it required a BIOS update to function with Ryzen 3000.

Like @VirtualLarry said, unless the box is marked specifically that it is Ryzen 3000 compatible, it probably doesn't have a BIOS flashed that would allow it to support the processor.

If it needs to be flashed and you don't have one, AMD will loan you a processor to do it with. However, a return and swap for a Ryzen 3000 compatible board would probably be quicker.

If the box is marked that it supports Ryzen 3000, did you try to reset the CMOS memory? You might also check to see if the memory modules you are trying are on the QVL list. Though Ryzen 3000 was better than prior releases, it still can be a little picky about memory support.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
No problem. However, unless the board has BIOS F40 or later aboard, it is still the same issue. The x370 chipset preceeded the Ryzen 3000 series release, so it required a BIOS update to function with Ryzen 3000.

Like @VirtualLarry said, unless the box is marked specifically that it is Ryzen 3000 compatible, it probably doesn't have a BIOS flashed that would allow it to support the processor.

If it needs to be flashed and you don't have one, AMD will loan you a processor to do it with. However, a return and swap for a Ryzen 3000 compatible board would probably be quicker.

If the box is marked that it supports Ryzen 3000, did you try to reset the CMOS memory? You might also check to see if the memory modules you are trying are on the QVL list. Though Ryzen 3000 was better than prior releases, it still can be a little picky about memory support.

That sounds like a promising lead. The box does not say it supports Ryzen 3000. I think I may just head down to the store tomorrow and swap it for one that does.