Question No signal on monitor when using DP (Monitor) to DVI-D (GPU) cable

Mech0z

Oct 11, 2007
I have a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X https://www.anandtech.com/show/7601/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-review-our-first-custom-cooled-290

And 2 Dell 27" 1440p monitors U2713HM (I have 2 new Dell P2720D on the way)

When I use the cable I just bought

Goobay Displayport/DVI-D adapter cable 1.2 3m displayport male > DVI-D male dual link (24+1)
Put with the displayport in the monitor and the DVI in the GPU it does not work, there is no signal! Is it due to this and my GPU being old https://tommynation.com/displayport-dvi-adapters-explained/ ?
But if I put the displayport in the GPU and the DVI in the monitor I get 1080p signal, not 1440p, also this wont work when I get the new monitors

If I use display port to display port or dvi to dvi it works fine.

The problem is the new monitors do not have DVI and my GPU only have 1 displayport, so 1 of the 2 monitors need use either the DVI-D port on my GPU or the hdmi which I am not sure is fast enough for 1440p?

Will it work if I buy a HDMI (Monitor) to DVI-D cable (GPU) or does that also have to be active?

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
The Displayport port on the GPU is a dual-mode port, which can output DVI and HDMI signals. Dual mode can generate various resolutions and refresh rates when sending an HDMI signal, depending on the version, but is always limited to single link DVI, which is limited to maximum resolution/refresh rate of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. Going from DVI at the source to Displayport on the display isn't possible as far as I'm aware.

The HDMI port on the GPU should be 1.4, which can send 1440p @ 60Hz to Displayport with an active converter. HDMI shares compatibility with the DVI signal standard, so you're probably better off getting a dual link DVI to HDMI cable and using the HDMI port on one of the new monitors. Displayport should generally be considered incompatible with HDMI or DVI due to differing voltages and numbers of pins. That difference is why active adapters/converters are necessary, and why there's little guarantee of things working the way you want.

Mech0z

Oct 11, 2007
Apparently I can now just use HDMI to HDMI, that only gave me 1080p on the old monitors, but it works on the new ones, so no problem, other than me having an extra useless cable now :/

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Apparently I can now just use HDMI to HDMI, that only gave me 1080p on the old monitors, but it works on the new ones, so no problem, other than me having an extra useless cable now :/

And now I realize I really over-thought this because... HDMI to HDMI. Glad it worked out.