No Realistic Games Anymore..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
CoD4 isn't all that realistic, especially when you heal yourself after a few seconds.

I don't know how damage is handled in the new SoF game, but the engine allows you to shoot specific body parts and they react to it. I can't find the video of it I saw the other day, but it showed this enemy getting shot in the legs and he falls to the ground and tries to crawl away. some stuff i read said that they'll either try to crawl away or lay on the ground and try to shoot you. you can blow off specific body parts that will affect the enemy.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex
CoD4 isn't all that realistic, especially when you heal yourself after a few seconds.

I don't know how damage is handled in the new SoF game, but the engine allows you to shoot specific body parts and they react to it. I can't find the video of it I saw the other day, but it showed this enemy getting shot in the legs and he falls to the ground and tries to crawl away. some stuff i read said that they'll either try to crawl away or lay on the ground and try to shoot you. you can blow off specific body parts that will affect the enemy.

You can make it very realistic by just upping the difficulty to max.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I guess OFP/ArmA are it then....:/

Hopefully Codemasters will do well with this OFP2... Guess I'm the only real-realistic game lover out there. Game where A. No respawns. B. Shot in leg = bleeding = potential death, require a human/ai medic. C. Planning/briefings read prior to mission start.

Being a virtual real life soldier in an open 200+sq km island with no boundary's (IMO) is much cooler than running around with a plasma rifle and getting shot in the head over and over for 30 minutes on a small <1 mile closed boundary map.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: JAG87
BF2 is by far the best compromise between realism and gameplay. bullet drop, limited sprinting, limited jumping.

yes you can pick up health packs, but you thats what the medic class is for. and if you didn't have medics you would spend more time waiting to re-spawn than playing the game.

umm....no

Any game that allows you to jump high in the air, go prone and execute from the belly midair headshot is not realistic.

Not to mention that you can shoot someone 5 times and they wont die...hell, they wont even flinch the slightest bit.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
I guess OFP/ArmA are it then....:/

Hopefully Codemasters will do well with this OFP2... Guess I'm the only real-realistic game lover out there. Game where A. No respawns. B. Shot in leg = bleeding = potential death, require a human/ai medic. C. Planning/briefings read prior to mission start.

Being a virtual real life soldier in an open 200+sq km island with no boundary's (IMO) is much cooler than running around with a plasma rifle and getting shot in the head over and over for 30 minutes on a small <1 mile closed boundary map.

i thought that would be cool too until i played bf2. while maybe not quite the same, it close. it just sucks because you have to travel to the battles and that can be quite time consuming. huge maps suck ass.

so if you have no respawns, wtf do you do when you die? just sit there and wait for everyone else to die? BORING! I can't stand games that have that type of play.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Far Cry tried to be more realistic and your character would die after taking only three bullets. To me, that just got cumbersome and detracted from the gameplay. I think the revitalization chamber in Bioshock and the self-healing nano suit in Crysis are a welcome change. Now we can focus on getting immersed in the game and not have to bring up the save game menu often.

The alternative is hitting the save button after every kill or after every few minutes of play. In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I found myself hitting save game every couple of minutes just to make sure I didn't have to start the level over and spend 10 minutes walking from the last save location to my current objective. That just detracts from the fun.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I play video-games to ESCAPE reality, so I'm the kind of guy who doesn't play such games. I prefer to play Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournament and Diablo 2 than anything that has to do with reality or the past (WWII games for example). You can give me Dawn of War over Company of Heroes anytime.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I've played project reality. It's okay, but still feels like an arcade game. I guess only so much can be done with the BF2 engine, but they made it (IMO) 1000x better than BF2, and its worth playing until OFP2 and Arma2 comes out.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I can't believe no one's mentioned the Brothers in Arms series. They are more realistic than most.

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
What about Insurgency?

Its basically a free game on the source engine. I'd say it's up there with Project Reality, but a bit more realistic on smaller, more detailed maps.