No Realistic Games Anymore..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Insurgency, a mod for HL2, is fairly tactical. It is only in the first beta release still but the next one (should have lots of needed improvements and features) should be released sometime this month. It's pretty damn awesome as a first release, but I'm really waiting for the coming one. Of course there is already shitty custom maps like a dust2 re-make done bad, one of the things that the mod is not suppose to be like is CS, so avoid ones like that. Also there is things like no kill confirmation option, commander position, etc.

Just wanted to mention that one as it wasn't mentioned yet.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
how has the thread gone this long without mentioned Americas Army?
granted, I have played in awhile, so I have no clue how the community plays the game these days, but back in the day most servers kicked you for bunny hopping or abusing any other feature. To block the jump like some games is ridiculous, you just need admins who care. The great thing is there are almost always admins if you go to a non official server, and typically these servers are still honor-based (honor is like experience in any other game, builds up honor levels, a sign of experience in the game and how well you help others, typically, as you earn points for patching up people as a medic, and your team winning gets all of you points).
official servers were often a mess, with people from counter strike coming in and ruining the gameplay with hectic play and bunny hopping and nade spamming and other crap. good servers made these are kickable and bannable offenses, and it was good then.
on most servers, you could actually play at a realistic pace, but the effect wears off as you begin to learn the typical patterns of most players and where most people go for cover and where they go for surprise attacks. but that is something you just can't really remove from any game.

just saw the OP had a quick quip about AA. OP, do understand you gotta stay off public servers. That tends to be an issue in all online multiplayer shooters. go to clan servers, and play with them. they will typically provide a good challenge, and have hardcore moderation rules that will keep the game clean.
but as far as maps, that is indeed a downfall of the game and limits creativity and effective surprise since most players have already thought of the same thing you probably did, and thus another play is probably going to be camping that spot waiting for you to try that idea.
being the sniper was always fun, because it became Enemy at the Gates. It was always cross-map sniper battles, the one hoping to have the jump on the other. at least, it was that way in my favorite map, SF Hospital. :)
that map was too small and confined but was enjoyable nonetheless.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: JAG87
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: pontifex
BF2 is by far the best compromise between realism and gameplay. bullet drop, limited sprinting, limited jumping.

yes you can pick up health packs, but you thats what the medic class is for. and if you didn't have medics you would spend more time waiting to re-spawn than playing the game.

umm....no

Any game that allows you to jump high in the air, go prone and execute from the belly midair headshot is not realistic.

you must both be bad at BF2 :D

the game is amazing and its by far the closest experience to modern warfare, and the graphics still hold up after so long. one of the best engines ever created.

Yet EA still can't get proper widescreen support built into it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
BF2 is by far the best compromise between realism and gameplay. bullet drop, limited sprinting, limited jumping.

yes you can pick up health packs, but you thats what the medic class is for. and if you didn't have medics you would spend more time waiting to re-spawn than playing the game.

umm....no

Any game that allows you to jump high in the air, go prone and execute from the belly midair headshot is not realistic.

the game is amazing and its by far the closest experience to modern warfare, and the graphics still hold up after so long. one of the best engines ever created.

Are you joking? There is no way you can call BF2 realistic with the multitude of ridiculous things that go on every game. I played the game for over an year and got to first sargeant before quitting. Bunny hopping and Dolphin Diving is rampant. Kamikaze Jeeps and fighting over jets is a commonplace. How about the fact that anti tank weapons take five hits against a tank to kill it? What about the medic pads that can heal you even after you've been hit by 500 LMG shots?

Take a look at Rd volx's video, who was the #1 player on the BF2 leaderboard for about an year. Then tell me about how BF2 is realistic.

its looks like that dude is having a seizure

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Try Red Orchestra. It's one of my favorite FPSs. Bunnyhopping is impossible, most kills are 1-shot, you can't sprint for long, getting hit in the leg means walking slow, hit in the arm your accuracy suffers, etc.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Golgatha

umm....no

im not gonna argue with that. i rest my case.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
BF2 is totally silly, and about as realistic as Pac-Man. I always like jumping out of a plane, and going straight into a tank, no parachute. Total nonsense, but kind of fun.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Golgatha

umm....no

and they can't make a goddamn menu either. no menu should take that long to open. EVER.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Ok guys... first of all I was joking when I said you are bad at BF2. see the grin beside the statement... its a joke dont take it to heart.
second of all you all seem to miss the keyword here which is COMPROMISE. its a compromise between realism and fun in the modern warfare genre of games.

1) Its realistic because you can do so many things in that game, without making it silly. you can use tanks, jets, helicopters, and they all behave quite realistic. its also realistic because you have limited stamina, limited health, and such. its realistic because you can make squads and commanders, and not have 64 players running around like headless chickens.

2) Its FUN because the unrealistic parts of the game have been well integrated into the gameplay. for example, medics can heal you and revive you, but you must have a medic near you or you will die. support can refill you, and you can have unlimited supplies, but you must have a support player near you. so those aspects that would make the game boring, such as dying constantly, or running out of ammo, or having a retard t-bone you and take away half of your armor health, those things can all be repaired without wasting your time. yes its unrealistic... what sick bastard would hop out of his T90 and whip out his wrench in the middle of the battlefield, but those things are needed to make the gameplay FUN.

overall its the best modern warfare FPS experience you can have. unless you are some nutjob who loves to waste time waiting to re-spawn instead of having fun. after having said that, I realize I might be posting my opinion in the wrong thread. I apologize in advance.

too bad the game just sucks rancid ass

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Ok guys... first of all I was joking when I said you are bad at BF2. see the grin beside the statement... its a joke dont take it to heart.
second of all you all seem to miss the keyword here which is COMPROMISE. its a compromise between realism and fun in the modern warfare genre of games.

1) Its realistic because you can do so many things in that game, without making it silly. you can use tanks, jets, helicopters, and they all behave quite realistic. its also realistic because you have limited stamina, limited health, and such. its realistic because you can make squads and commanders, and not have 64 players running around like headless chickens.

2) Its FUN because the unrealistic parts of the game have been well integrated into the gameplay. for example, medics can heal you and revive you, but you must have a medic near you or you will die. support can refill you, and you can have unlimited supplies, but you must have a support player near you. so those aspects that would make the game boring, such as dying constantly, or running out of ammo, or having a retard t-bone you and take away half of your armor health, those things can all be repaired without wasting your time. yes its unrealistic... what sick bastard would hop out of his T90 and whip out his wrench in the middle of the battlefield, but those things are needed to make the gameplay FUN.

overall its the best modern warfare FPS experience you can have. unless you are some nutjob who loves to waste time waiting to re-spawn instead of having fun. after having said that, I realize I might be posting my opinion in the wrong thread. I apologize in advance.

too bad the game just sucks rancid ass

well, were not all of the same opinion :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor
how has the thread gone this long without mentioned Americas Army?
granted, I have played in awhile, so I have no clue how the community plays the game these days, but back in the day most servers kicked you for bunny hopping or abusing any other feature. To block the jump like some games is ridiculous, you just need admins who care. The great thing is there are almost always admins if you go to a non official server, and typically these servers are still honor-based (honor is like experience in any other game, builds up honor levels, a sign of experience in the game and how well you help others, typically, as you earn points for patching up people as a medic, and your team winning gets all of you points).
official servers were often a mess, with people from counter strike coming in and ruining the gameplay with hectic play and bunny hopping and nade spamming and other crap. good servers made these are kickable and bannable offenses, and it was good then.
on most servers, you could actually play at a realistic pace, but the effect wears off as you begin to learn the typical patterns of most players and where most people go for cover and where they go for surprise attacks. but that is something you just can't really remove from any game.

just saw the OP had a quick quip about AA. OP, do understand you gotta stay off public servers. That tends to be an issue in all online multiplayer shooters. go to clan servers, and play with them. they will typically provide a good challenge, and have hardcore moderation rules that will keep the game clean.
but as far as maps, that is indeed a downfall of the game and limits creativity and effective surprise since most players have already thought of the same thing you probably did, and thus another play is probably going to be camping that spot waiting for you to try that idea.
being the sniper was always fun, because it became Enemy at the Gates. It was always cross-map sniper battles, the one hoping to have the jump on the other. at least, it was that way in my favorite map, SF Hospital. :)
that map was too small and confined but was enjoyable nonetheless.

i don't understand this public vs. private thing...
aren't most public servers run by clans? I always see XXX Clan server in the server browser. anyone can join, thats public. if its private, how do you get in?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Realistic stuff doesn't sell as well as "kidee" games. Just look at how they butchered Rainbow 6; Vegas made it cool, easy and action oriented. As pissing as Rainbow 6 1-3 were with no saving and 5 hours of replaying the same level, it was perversely fun. However, I'd be lying if I said I hated the fact that I barely had to replay any part of Vegas for long.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
so what do you do when you happen to get shot in the legs by a stray bullet and you're stuck in some alley and can't move and no one knows where you are to finish you off?

thats real fun, spending half the game sitting in an alley...

or say you do get wounded and can't move. your team finds you and then sends you to the hospital. you spend the next 3 months recovering, another year in physical therapy only to have that fail and you become wheelchair bound.

I'm all for more realism in games but at some point realism ends up not being fun and people aren't going to want to play.
Exactly. The whole point of video games is to escape reality.
SWAT 4 is fun to play, but actually being a SWAT member sucks balls. You get paid shit, you can get killed any time, and even if you survive a bad mission you will likely end up in a hospital sucking food from a tube or asking for your plug to be pulled. If being on SWAT was so much fun you'd see a lot more people at the police academies.

The reason we have games is to distract ourselves from reality. If the OP has a such an enthusiasm for real life I can only recommend he get out from behind the desk and do so OR at the very least turn off the computer and read a book about other people having real lives.

(Sorry, that was the angry rant of someone who spent a little too much time in Kosovo and gets irritated by too many spoiled Americans complaining about the delay of their precious new iToy or how they need to get to the airport a half-hour earlier for security checks.)

As for getting video games that are much better than what we have, I totally agree. We dont have nearly enough SWAT's and Rainbow Six's and such. But the current popularity of simple-minded console games has also affected the computer game industry. Developers dont like putting in lots of effort on a $40 game when they can recycle old crap every year with little effort and make 60 bucks instead. Publishers feel pretty much the same way and only support developers who play ball.

I can only suggest going over some of the old classics. I've been playing Max Payne 1 today and am still amazed by the quality of the game play. The dark brooding cop on a warpath and Film-Noir backdrop arent terribly realistic, but the action is solid and its very realistic when you die from a 9mm to the face. Because of the hero's frailty the game actually forces you to plan and precisely execute your attacks.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
to be honest, reality is relative.
if you're a skinny weakling programmer geek, getting to play as a mercenary is pretty far from your own reality.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Anubis
what about the rainbow 6 games? those always seemed more realistic then say something like unreal or CS

im not a kid but i hate realistic games

i liek being able to take a rocket to the face and not die

Still, 3rd person when you can magically look around corners.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
what about the rainbow 6 games? those always seemed more realistic then say something like unreal or CS

Vegas isn't 3rd person, unless there's a way to make it that way.

Apr 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Coldkilla

Vegas isn't 3rd person, unless there's a way to make it that way.

it goes to a third person camera when u go under cover. the games not very good any way.

now, REALISTIC GAMES.........nothx i prefer a railgun.

coinbird

Oct 26, 2007
wwiiol is about the high end of realism i've seen. despite it glaring bugs and outdated graphics it still has a cult following.

there just isnt the market for ultra realism though, people play to be entertained.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
You lack any imagination, possible humankind's greatest ability.

Sci-fi games aren't for kiddies. I don't think a 4 year should be playing doom 3 or unreal tourney 3. Games are there for entertainment value. If you want games to be as realistic as possible, then you'll have jackasses like jack thompson having a field day blaming those games to be virtual simulators to train killers and terrorists.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: coinbird
wwiiol is about the high end of realism i've seen. despite it glaring bugs and outdated graphics it still has a cult following.

there just isnt the market for ultra realism though, people play to be entertained.

Yeah it is. I had a lot of fun with that game back in the day, but I tried to get into it again a couple years ago and just couldn't. Takes way too long to reach an objective only to die right after arriving.