No post, is it PSU or mobo?

llee8820

Aug 9, 2010
Hi everyone, last week I noticed my PC froze up on the monitor. Turned if off and when I turned it back on, my PC would not post anymore, nothing on the monitor. I was using a older video card so I thought it finally gave out. When my new one arrived my pc still wouldn't post. Well I didn't have a pc speaker in my case (fractal R4), so I ordered one. It came today and as a result I don't even get a single post beep.

I already removed all my PCI and PCIe cards, HDDs, left only cpu, gpu and 1 stick of ram (also tried with no ram), and still cannot get a post or any beeps. Everything seems to be turning on, gpu fan is on, cpu fan is on, power standby light on my motherboard is on. Right now I'm thinking it's either my PSU or motherboard. I doubled check my power connections as well and removed the CMOS battery to clear it.

Specs are...
CPU: AMD 1055t
Motherboard: Asus M5A87
GPU: Sapphire r9 270
PSU: Corsair HX750
RAM: G-skill 16gb DDR3 1600
3 HDD, 1 SDD
A sound card and a network card

If it is the PSU, it wouldn't be the first time I had to RMA it. Corsair's quality has really gone down, but luckily their customer service is still great. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
You have to have RAM for it to POST. But you might not need a gpu. At any rate it could be either one so just start with a new PSU, or if possible, dig up an old (but functional) PC and place your PSU in that machine and see if it works.

phis6

Apr 1, 2014
As what you've enumerated, I would possibly think its the MoBo that has issues.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
If it is the PSU, it wouldn't be the first time I had to RMA it. Corsair's quality has really gone down, but luckily their customer service is still great. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Never know? can you try another one.in you situation i would say mobo.but again try with the psu.