No one complains about the $1700 price of i7 6950X?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2006
The 6950X is intel's way of spitting at us, to test our intelligence.
So No.

As i have been saying, it has no point or purpose outside flinging around a ego saying you have a 1800 dollar chip.

1. cant overclock as high as the 5960X
2. @ the price point you can get a dual 6 core xeons for a total of 12 cores which is moar cores then a 5960X.
3. The cpu is just a sorry refresh of haswell-e, its not skylake counter part to the 6700k.

Its a stupid cpu in every practical sense you look at.
However human stupidity is infinite, especially when it comes in the aspect of hobby, so practicality rarely plays any influence when purchasing something for your hobby.

In seriousness i hope it flomps hard, that intel learns to never to pull this stunt again. As it seriously is a test of our intelligence.

I hope it does well so that Intel continues to see PC enthusiasts as a demographic worth trying to build parts for.

Aug 11, 2008
I hope it does well so that Intel continues to see PC enthusiasts as a demographic worth trying to build parts for.

Why, so they can raise prices next on the mainstream? Well, effectively they did, because the K chips come without a cooler. But that is minimal.

HW-E (5820k) was a move to accomodate enthusiasts, more cores for close to the same price. Although Intel couldnt resist gimping it with fewer PCI-E lanes.

This chip (6950x), and the mediocre performance without any price cuts on the rest of the line, and the lack of a mainstream hex core, are all just a big eff you to enthusiasts.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Bear in mind that Intel finally figured out how much sites like NewEgg mark up brand new HEDT (or HEDT-class) flagship CPUs at launch, and used a projected markup price as their MSRP.

Why let etailers pocket all that extra money when Intel can take it for themselves?

know of fence

May 28, 2009
  1. What took so long for Intel to create an 8/10 core CPU with 4 GHz turbo?
  2. IF half of a quad-core K chip is graphics, why does an 8 core cpu with no IGP and a similar die size, cost 3 times as much?
  3. 14nm seems to be a step back in OC headroom, and higher leakage beyond 3.x GHz. Why do we see CPUs with high stock clocks, like the 6700K @ 4 GHz and it's laughably small 4.2 Turbo, or the 6900K with raised (3.2/4.0 GHz) stock clocks compared to 5960X.
  4. How much does the 6950X weigh? Because because it quickly approaching it's weight in gold.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well, the gimping of the lanes is intentional because they probably stick any chips with some busted pcie lanes there. The cheapest big die having reduced pcie lanes is likely here to stay.

The 6950X is pretty much a trial balloon to see how much they can extract out. Doesn't work out, they will probably just go back to three levels.

Skylake-X is probably the same (6/6/8/10) but it could be 8/8/10... I wouldn't hold your breath though.

PeteRoy

Jun 28, 2004
www.youtube.com
So No.

As i have been saying, it has no point or purpose outside flinging around a ego saying you have a 1800 dollar chip.

2. @ the price point you can get a dual 6 core xeons for a total of 12 cores which is moar cores then a 5960X.
3. The cpu is just a sorry refresh of haswell-e, its not skylake counter part to the 6700k.

However human stupidity is infinite, especially when it comes in the aspect of hobby, so practicality rarely plays any influence when purchasing something for your hobby.

In seriousness i hope it flomps hard, that intel learns to never to pull this stunt again. As it seriously is a test of our intelligence.

I totally agree with you.

You know what, I don't care about the $1700 price tag if this chip would give you value to match the price.

But it is a 10 core CPU in 2016, I remember Nehalem had a 8 core version before launch, before they even called it Core i7, I remember Intel showed a preview machine with 8 core Nehalem CPU and that was in early 2008.

We are in the middle of 2016 and Intel is selling us a 10 core CPU $1700 CPU, if they really want to to sell a $1700 CPU then it should be a 24 core or it should have 3 times the speed of the 6700K.

I totally agree with aigomorla about how Intel is shamelessly given us undervalue CPU for $1700.

It is like going to expensive restaurant and the food is lower quality than Mcdonalds but costs 10 times more.

Last edited:

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I'd complain if it was something that I'd in any way desired or had use for. I don't. That's Intel's problem as well. Gaming excels on the 4c/8t newer platform as of now, and Intel's HEDT platform doesn't have the appeal it should have.

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
So No.

pontificator don t you feel some shame spreading these judgements on our intellingence?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
  1. What took so long for Intel to create an 8/10 core CPU with 4 GHz turbo?
  2. IF half of a quad-core K chip is graphics, why does an 8 core cpu with no IGP and a similar die size, cost 3 times as much?
  3. 14nm seems to be a step back in OC headroom, and higher leakage beyond 3.x GHz. Why do we see CPUs with high stock clocks, like the 6700K @ 4 GHz and it's laughably small 4.2 Turbo, or the 6900K with raised (3.2/4.0 GHz) stock clocks compared to 5960X.
  4. How much does the 6950X weigh? Because because it quickly approaching it's weight in gold.

I don't know of any 8/10 core Intel cpu with 4.0 turbo?

6900K is 3.7
6950X is 3.5

Feb 4, 2009
It would be fun if Intel put some golden, super triple platinum mega extreme version that a very, very limited number and the absolute best ones found in binning(?).
Show what they can be over clocked to then put them on eBay, proceeds go to charity.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Turbo Boost Max 3.0 can theoretically get one core to 4.0 briefly, but I don't think anyone has seen it happen?

know of fence

May 28, 2009
Turbo Boost Max 3.0 can theoretically get one core to 4.0 briefly, but I don't think anyone has seen it happen?

Yes, it would appear that Max Turbo refers to (Turbo Boost MAX 3.0) where you can, and Ian Cutress did set one core to 4.0. However it wasn't used for benchmarking. 3.5 GHZ seems to be the limit of the default Turbo Boost 2.0.

That is a curious feature, flat overclocks aren't really desirable for so many cores, and being held back significantly by a single shaky core (the weakest link) would be a bummer.

Picking good over bad cores seems to be a win-win situation for everyone, even though the process seems complicated.