No OEM since 1994 -- getting ready to take the plunge . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have too much on my plate right now as a 75+ year-old senior. I've built all of my systems since 1994, excluding the LG Gram laptop I bought two years ago. I've got eldercare responsibilities (Moms is 98), and I want to scale back on my collection of aging hardware -- suddenly, there aren't three users in the house, and no longer two users since my brother died last year. Just me. And then, last week, my Win 2012 server died -- or at least the boot disk died -- and I'm going through the chore of restoring my files. I'm thinking to replace the server with a Synology NAS.

Meanwhile, my two "best" workstation/desktop PCs are too old for Windows 11. I had reluctantly begun to think of building a new 12- or 13-gen Intel system over the last six months.

Now, I'm beginning to think that I might just buy an OEM. My problem with that, however, is straightforward: I've never got what I "want" with an OEM, but when I build my own, I plan for the afterthoughts and expansions.

Anyway, here's one of the models I'm looking at: Acer Predator Orion 7000 P07-640-UR11

What I like: comes with 32 GB DDR5 upgradeable to 64. Uses 12700K -- a processor candidate for a DIY-built system. Graphics isn't Radeon, but I've always bought nVidia as a habit, and this is upper tier, I think. Boot drive is a current-gen 1TB NVME.

What I don't like: Watercooling, with limited radiator size. (Possibly . . . ) only two RAM slots? Possibly limited number of PCIE >= x4 expansion -- if any? Windows 11 HOME -- will want to upgrade to PRO.

The price tag doesn't phase me. I usually end up dropping about 2 Grand into the systems I build, anyway.

I can afford it now -- I can afford it later. But what do you think? Can you think of better alternatives? I prefer to stick with Intel processors and chipsets, no matter what.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What happened? Did you buy the Acer?

If you are still shopping look at S.I. systems like CyberPower PC or Newegg's ABS. They use off the shelf parts.