NO NO NO!

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
Here it is, last week of school and my damn [partition with my XP craps out. It has my Autocad program on it for my class and I have to do some drawings. I get this error in Bios.
Something about a missing file
windows\systems32\config\system

I lended my XP disc to a friend(Student edition from my campus), so i canm use it. What can I do????

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Does your school have Autocad on any other machines? Your best immediate course of action (if you have a large workload) is to pull the drive and attempt to copy your files onto a flashdrive. Then you can use those to finish up your assignment until you can get your computer fixed.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
The computer you're on right now, does it have a working CD burner and software that can burn a .ISO, such as Nero Express? If so, one quick bailout might be to download a trial version of WindowsXP Pro x64 Edition, and do a parallel installation to use in order to recover your files and copy them to someplace safe.

download WinXP Pro x64 Edition trialware, good for 120 days. Obviously, you need a 64-bit CPU to do this (Opteron, Athlon64, or a 64-bit Intel CPU).

Another option is to go out and buy WinXP at a retail store, or hit your school's IT department up for some quick help, or put your drive into a working computer to recover your files.

If your files were stored in the C:\Documents and Settings\your username directory, you will need to take Ownership of the directory in order to get in there.

1) Go to C:\Documents and Settings

2) click View > Folder Options and go to the View tab. Scroll down and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing."

3) right-click the your username folder and choose Sharing & Security, go to the Security tab, and click the Advanced button. A new panel opens.

4) on the new panel, click the Owner tab and assign ownership of the directory and subdirectories to the user account you're logged on with now.

On WinXP Home systems, you can't disable Simple File Sharing, so boot in Safe Mode and you'll be able to get to Sharing & Security while in Safe Mode to do this stuff.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: michaels
I am on the same pc, just using my Vista beta I have on a seperate partition.
Ok, first order of business is to rescue your files so you don't have to start over.