No need for AA @ 4k ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
OMG, i just got a 4k 28"screen for laughs!...LMAO, WOW, i cant read a thing.haha...I am amazed how much my sight must have degraded over the years to need AA on anything!
I have to use zoom to read the phucking browser page!...LOL
Got 3340x2160 AOC U2868 some thing or rather and TBH, i might have to change down to 1600p...LOL
edit ...1440p

I guess LCD manufacturing has leapfrogged the ability of developers to put proper scaling in their OS. Software lagging behind hardware yet again.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Try 4x SSAA on a 1080p monitor. That's the highest quality AA possible since it's essentially rendering the scene at 4K and resizing it to 1080p. Now imagine instead of resizing it back down to 1080p, you have an actual monitor that displays 4K. It's like 4x SSAA but higher quality.

Here's an example of 4xSSAA.
4xadmsaa.jpg

It's not the same, though it may be similar in power required. The 4k monitor results in a sharper image, but it doesn't remove certain artifacts that downsampling would, like those crawling edges on objects.

I do agree that at 4K, AA is less needed than at lower resolutions, but it doesn't stop being useful either.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Try windows scaling.

Have you tried any games?

Hi Wand3r3r, havent tried gamin yet, dont think the 660 will cut it on new games, but do have some older games like 3 or 4 yrs old....
Have to get this scaling sorted first....
Not sure if I will keep it...got it from etailers presentation day...$350NZD, retails for abot $700, so I might just flick on, if it doesnt pan out well.

elelunicy

Oct 13, 2014
It absolutely has to do with the PPI, viewing distance, and even your vision.

When I play games @ 6880x2880 downsampled to my 34'' monitor, no AA is needed at all. However, if I take a screenshot and zoom in the picture, I can see tons of jaggies.