No link between Saddam and AQ after all

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Several newspapers and other media outlets had egg on their face Monday after reporting or endorsing a Weekly Standard story revealing new evidence of an "operational relationship" between Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden.

Several outlets, including the New York Post, The Washington Times and FOX News, ran with the story. There was just one problem: On Saturday, the Pentagon issued a press release stating that "news reports that the Defense Department recently confirmed new information with respect to contacts between al-Qaida and Iraq ... are inaccurate."

The media got it WRONG

Speaking of myths, another one is is also dispelled, the myth of a "liberal" bias in the media.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Not only the media, but certain people around here who were desperate to prove a connection. You know who you are... :):p

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard
Can we expect a statement from heartsurgeon?

A statement for what? He read an article from legimate sources and posted and commented about it.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: miguel

A statement for what? He read an article from legimate sources and posted and commented about it.

I would hardly call Weekly World News the big "L". Yeah I don't really blame him, we can all be a little "too" eager to post any evidence to justify our views.
The moral of the story is: take anything you read with a grain salt especially american right-wing media.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: miguel

How 'bout a simple "Doh!"

He was getting pretty defensive of the article.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
I just read through his thread and I guess I read it differently. He doesn't seem so defensive to me. People were attacking him though. His stance was pretty much - hey, it's an article, it's from the NY Times and others, why is it not legitimate?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
Several newspapers and other media outlets had egg on their face Monday after reporting or endorsing a Weekly Standard story revealing new evidence of an "operational relationship" between Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden.

Several outlets, including the New York Post, The Washington Times and FOX News, ran with the story. There was just one problem: On Saturday, the Pentagon issued a press release stating that "news reports that the Defense Department recently confirmed new information with respect to contacts between al-Qaida and Iraq ... are inaccurate."

The media got it WRONG

Speaking of myths, another one is is also dispelled, the myth of a "liberal" bias in the media.

Actually the statement by the Pentagon did not address the details - it only said they were unconfirmed or prelimary or the like. What it did not say though - that all the intel contained in the memo was wrong. There in lies the difference- preliminary or unconfirmed intel may be "innacurate" but that doesn't mean it is all "wrong" or not true.
I'm sure we'll hear more on this though...carry on.

CkG

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002