Question No display with 5700xt after updating Radeon drivers using factory reset option. Having a panic attack.

MyCatIsFat

Jan 31, 2020
I just got my Cyberpowerpc today with an asrock challenger 5700xt + 3600 on an asus x570 prime mobo. My friend and I updated windows and downloaded the chipset, lan, and audio drivers and everything was working fine.

When I was installing the latest Radeon drivers, I used the factory reset option to try to clear the old drivers windows installed and to prevent future driver problems. I restarted the system and the pc lost connection to the monitor. I haven’t been able to regain connection since.

What should I try to do to fix it? I can add more info in the comments if needed.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Hmm, so no BIOS display or anything? That doesn't even have anything to do with the drivers as the OS isn't even loaded at that point.

I would start be clearing out the CMOS on the motherboard.

Double check power connections and such. Does the mother board post? Not sure if that mobo has POST codes that get displayed via lights or anything. This seems coincidental between the driver install and the black screen. As you should be able to go into the bios without even have a boot drive.

MyCatIsFat

Jan 31, 2020
Hmm, so no BIOS display or anything? That doesn't even have anything to do with the drivers as the OS isn't even loaded at that point.

Double check power connections and such. Does the mother board post? Not sure if that mobo has POST codes that get displayed via lights or anything. This seems coincidental between the driver install and the black screen. As you should be able to go into the bios without even have a boot drive.
Thank you for the response. The PC seems to be booting correctly, all fans are spinning, and the rgb lights on my keyboard and mouse turn on. My monitor says “no cable” when I power it on, and all I get is a black screen. I was originally using a DP cable but have tried using an hdmi cable and I get the same results.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Thank you for the response. The PC seems to be booting correctly, all fans are spinning, and the rgb lights on my keyboard and mouse turn on. My monitor says “no cable” when I power it on, and all I get is a black screen. I was originally using a DP cable but have tried using an hdmi cable and I get the same results.

Sounds almost like the card got bricked, which again a driver change out should not do. I would double check it has both 8-pin power connectors fully seated, maybe even pull the card and re-seat it in the PCI-E slot.

I don't think that card has a dual BIOS, or I would say try swapping over to the other one.

MyCatIsFat

Jan 31, 2020

I finally got it to work again. It was as simple as shorting the pins on the mobo to reset cmos. What’s funny is the driver did update (in Czech for some reason) in the end.

Reactions: guachi and Stuka87

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
FYI for searchers that find this thread. Another fix for Navi black screens using DP, is to simply swap the DP port it is connected to sometimes. I have experienced it, and seen a number of reports of it as well.

Reactions: Ranulf

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
Might not the factory reset before the update just have caused the BIOS to swap back to the default which is likely the on board CPU graphics output?

Perhaps if you'd just swapped the HDMI or whatever cable over to the MB, entered the BIOS/UEFI and changed the primary graphics setting back to use the graphics card all would have been good.

The fact that resetting the CMOS fixed it suggests it was not that but in the same circumstances checking the primary graphics device BIOS setting and getting the PC to display in any way possible would have been my first priority.

Reactions: Guru

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Might not the factory reset before the update just have caused the BIOS to swap back to the default which is likely the on board CPU graphics output?

Perhaps if you'd just swapped the HDMI or whatever cable over to the MB, entered the BIOS/UEFI and changed the primary graphics setting back to use the graphics card all would have been good.

The fact that resetting the CMOS fixed it suggests it was not that but in the same circumstances checking the primary graphics device BIOS setting and getting the PC to display in any way possible would have been my first priority.

The driver update doesn't update the cards vBIOS. The motherboard seems to have been stuck with an invalid setting, it might not have even been GPU related, something just stopped it from posting.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The driver update doesn't update the cards vBIOS. The motherboard seems to have been stuck with an invalid setting, it might not have even been GPU related, something just stopped it from posting.

To add to this somewhat, there are a LOT of non-user-interactive, and in most cases not even viewable portions of BIOS settings hidden away that can become glitched/invalid. Resetting to defaults can result in situations where every single setting looks identical from the interface down to the last details, but yet the reset fixes an issue. Back when K7S5As were a thing, I remember doing a deep dive on hacking and making custom ones, and the amount of bizarre hidden settings was astonishing.