Question No display from Gpu after installing drivers

vcphilip

Oct 21, 2021
I have this issue when the gpu isn't showing any output. Says no signal on the monitor, pc boots up normally . Tried every major solutions none worked. Changed the psu, used DDU no difference. After installing the drivers everything runs okay but the problem arises when i manually shut down the pc and boot it up again after some time, shows no signal on the monitor
Specs :
i5 6400
Gtx 1060 3gb oc
Corsair vengeance 8gb
Corsair vs450

(I'm fairly new to the site and sorry for the bad English)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I assume you're running Windows, which version?

What other software do you have installed?

Would it be safe to say that this problem doesn't occur when the computer has warmed up sufficiently?

vcphilip

Oct 21, 2021
I assume you're running Windows, which version?

What other software do you have installed?

Would it be safe to say that this problem doesn't occur when the computer has warmed up sufficiently?
It's running windows 10, and some stock applications like gpu tweak etc. Could it be any driver issue?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It's running windows 10, and some stock applications like gpu tweak etc. Could it be any driver issue?

I would get rid of any programs that want to mess with your graphics card at all. Once you've got the card working properly for a few days, then reinstate them (one by one if you want to play it safe).

Personally I think this might be hardware related hence my last question, but it makes sense to rule out software first.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
You have a iGPU.

Leave the graphics card in the computer, enable the iGPU. Plug your monitor into the iGPU and boot the computer.

Check in windows if device manager sees your graphics card. If it does, try plugging your monitor into the various ports on the graphics card.

Your issue sounds like a bad cable or bad port. Most likely bad cable.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Check the simple things.

The other day when I installed my new GPU I forgot to plug in the 8 pin power cable to the GPU so I had no signal.

Once I plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard hdmi instead of the GPU.

It also sounds like you may have a bad cable or bad port in the monitor or GPU like Leeea and Furious_Styles mentioned.

vcphilip

Oct 21, 2021
I would get rid of any programs that want to mess with your graphics card at all. Once you've got the card working properly for a few days, then reinstate them (one by one if you want to play it safe).

Personally I think this might be hardware related hence my last question, but it makes sense to rule out software first.
I hope it isn't any hardware related. It would be very helpful if you tell me which programs I should remove

vcphilip

Oct 21, 2021
Check the simple things.

The other day when I installed my new GPU I forgot to plug in the 8 pin power cable to the GPU so I had no signal.

Once I plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard hdmi instead of the GPU.

It also sounds like you may have a bad cable or bad port in the monitor or GPU like Leeea and Furious_Styles mentioned.
Already checked those many times, my motherboard only have a vga output. If it was an issue with the cables or ports could the display go black after installing drivers?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Already checked those many times, my motherboard only have a vga output. If it was an issue with the cables or ports could the display go black after installing drivers?
Yes.

Installing the drivers may enable higher color depth formats, HDR, high refresh rate, gsync, etc. These features require more data to be sent down the cable.

If this is the case, starting the computer in safe mode may let you disable the feature causing your issue. You may also be able to disable HDR / Gsync on your monitor.

ex: I had a cable that could do 4k60Hz non-HDR (8-bit per pixel), but when asked to do 4k60Hz HDR (10 bit per pixel) it just showed a black screen.

Reactions: balloonshark

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
After installing the drivers everything runs okay but the problem arises when i manually shut down the pc and boot it up again after some time, shows no signal on the monitor

I presume this bit (in bold) means that the display comes on at the correct resolution after installing the drivers? How about if you restart the computer, is it still working as it should be then? Then only after you shut down the computer, it shows no signal?