No data through Displayport Cable/Monitor

rocketfrog03

Nov 23, 2010
My apologies if this post is in the wrong section.

I have a macbook pro 13-inch early 2011 connected to my new Dell 34-inch u3415w screen via a MDP to displayport cable. I have USB peripherals connected to the downstream USB ports on my Dell monitor. My computer is able to display the 3440x1440 resolution just fine.

My question is, why is my macbook unable to recognize the USB peripherals? I thought displayport can carry data.

A quick google search revealed that my early 2011 macbook pro has thunderbolt 1 technology, and it seems like displayport 1.2 standards was first incorporated into thunderbolt 2 technology. My only guess is that my computer's lack of displayport 1.2 is the reason my computer can't recognize the USB peripherals connected downstream to the monitor. Before my Dell monitor, I used an LG 34UM95 (which uses thunderbolt, not displayport 1.2), and my computer was able to recognize USB peripherals connected downstream to the LG.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
My apologies if this post is in the wrong section.

I have a macbook pro 13-inch early 2011 connected to my new Dell 34-inch u3415w screen via a MDP to displayport cable. I have USB peripherals connected to the downstream USB ports on my Dell monitor. My computer is able to display the 3440x1440 resolution just fine.

My question is, why is my macbook unable to recognize the USB peripherals? I thought displayport can carry data.

A quick google search revealed that my early 2011 macbook pro has thunderbolt 1 technology, and it seems like displayport 1.2 standards was first incorporated into thunderbolt 2 technology. My only guess is that my computer's lack of displayport 1.2 is the reason my computer can't recognize the USB peripherals connected downstream to the monitor. Before my Dell monitor, I used an LG 34UM95 (which uses thunderbolt, not displayport 1.2), and my computer was able to recognize USB peripherals connected downstream to the LG.

DisplayPort only carries Audio and Video - no data. Thunderbolt uses DisplayPort AND data carrying technology... so you have to get a Thunderbolt cable.

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
Does the Dell even support USB over DP cable? I haven't seen that support in anything except Apple displays.

rocketfrog03

Nov 23, 2010
DisplayPort only carries Audio and Video - no data. Thunderbolt uses DisplayPort AND data carrying technology... so you have to get a Thunderbolt cable.

With respect, I don't know if you are correct about this.

According to Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-eyefinity-6-displayport,2596-5.html): "Apart from being able to carry ultra-high resolutions, DisplayPort can also carry high bitrate 7.1 surround audio, touchscreen data, and bi-directional USB signals."

and Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#cite_note-tomshardware-5): "DisplayPort can be used to transmit audio and video simultaneously, but each one is optional and can be transmitted without the other. The video signal path can have six to sixteen bits per color channel, and the audio path can have up to eight channels of 24-bit 192 kHz uncompressed PCM audio or can encapsulate compressed audio formats in the audio stream.[2] A bi-directional, half-duplex auxiliary channel carries device management and device control data for the Main Link, such as VESA EDID, MCCS, and DPMS standards. In addition, the interface is capable of carrying bi-directional USB signals.[5]"

From the above sources, it does seem like displayport can carry USB data.