No cellphone audio in GTA5 all of a sudden

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Not sure what happened here, but I suddenly lost all audio on phone calls in game, even the beeps and boops of the phone itself are gone. Googling found that some people on PS4 have the audio coming out of their controller, but I have an Xbox360 controller which has no such option.

I run the audio out of HDMI on my GTX1060 to a receiver and it works well. Audio setup in GTA5 is set to surround speakers and I get output from all of my speakers. Destiny 2 also works fine, FWIW.

I CAN get cell phone audio back if I put the output in GTA5 to "TV" but then I only get stereo sound. I have 76 hours in the game and this is the first time I've had this problem. I even reinstalled the game via Steam with no change. I'm thinking there must be some menu option I've triggered inadvertently but nothing seems to make a difference. Any ideas?

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Did some more digging. Found that somehow the center channel output for the HDMI output got checked (I have no center channel) and cell phone audio apparently comes out of that channel. Pretty unique situation, but it's sorted now.