No brainer prediction, Romney gets nominated only to lose to Obama

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If people want 4 more years of Bush-lite (aka Obama) they will vote for him. If they want change, they will not.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
There is no chance Romney wins. He can't identify with the redneck, neither in dress mannerism nor language. That right there is half the GOP vote when they win. He reminds working people as the CEO who sent their or someone they know job to mexico or mismanaged their retirement account. I don't care if unemployment is 10% he can't win. Huntsman can not either for same reasons no matter how much better you think he is which I happen to agree with. Both are fairly decent men actually.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
There is no chance Romney wins. He can't identify with the redneck, neither in dress mannerism nor language. That right there is half the GOP vote when they win. He reminds working people as the CEO who sent their or someone they know job to mexico or mismanaged their retirement account. I don't care if unemployment is 10% he can't win. Huntsman can not either for same reasons no matter how much better you think he is.

The redneck will vote for him because they want to remove Obama. Huntsman is not in the race.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
ppl are not as motivated about voting against someone. Turnout will be lower is my point making victory impossible. I know huntsman is no longer but OP mentioned him and he would have suffered same.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Counting chickens eh? :p

Obama will probably win but don't overestimate a large majority of independents going for him. I think it will be fairly close.

I agree...thinking we have this in the bag is a huge mistake. We need to motivate the base to show up at the voting box.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
It's a sure win / bet for Obama... Free Health Care here we come!

The way I spin it? Rommney is a mormon and well, Christains (the true ones) aren't gonna be down for that. He might get the majority of the mormon camp.

I hate to say that religion is going to tilt the votes but you know it will. That's my take on it...

Obama takes it in 2012 as usual. Move on... Nothing to see..

But now that Obama will win the next election I predict to see a tougher more aggressive president than in 08. Since his last term he has nothing to lose to just jump into everything and work twice as hard. Not like he's gonna run again. I see Obama working harder and making even more bold moves. Obama so far has done way more than bush did in all his 8 years... At least things are starting to pick up.

Tho if the stock market tanks and you see wall street bankers jumping out of windows than all bets are off!

Last edited:

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I agree...thinking we have this in the bag is a huge mistake. We need to motivate the base to show up at the voting box.

So true. Several swing states are polling for a Romney win against Obama. There is a good chance that Romney can win if he carries the swing states. A lot can happen between now and election day and I don't believe Obama has it "in the bag yet." Remember G.W. vs Gore?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I think the election will be between the Conservative, Obama and the Liberal, Romney.

One would have a hard time finding a more ideal Republican candidate than Obama, which is why it's in big money's interest to keep him, unless out of just dumb luck they could replace him with an even bigger whore. Tall order, that.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It's a sure win / bet for Obama... Free Health Care here we come!

If you think health care is expensive now wait until it's free :p

While the Presidential election obviously is the focus don't count out gains by the Reps in Congress especially if the mandate survives.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I don't know that Romney's going to be the nominee. In addition, Romney has made an ass out of himself by saying Obama's not spending enough on the military. Giving Romney the benefit of the doubt from his own website, he only plans to spend $300Bn less than Obama for FY 2014.

If Dr. Paul isn't the nominee and if he ran as an independent, then Romney would look like an idiot. A huge majority of the people now oppose foreign wars, so I think Dr. Paul would win the popular vote if he ran in the general and if there wasn't too much fraud.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
The only thing I can say for sure is that, whether we wake up on November 7th to President GOP-nominee or President Obama, we're still fucked.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
It should be a fairly close election, because they are both the same anyway. Regardless of who gets elected, at least 99% of the federal budget will go unchanged. That is the definition of "unchanged".

Campaign Slogan:

You saw what you got when you voted for change. Now vote for Romney. Vote for Unchange.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Especially the base who are not so enamored with his right leaning ways.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I don't know that Romney's going to be the nominee. In addition, Romney has made an ass out of himself by saying Obama's not spending enough on the military. Giving Romney the benefit of the doubt from his own website, he only plans to spend $300Bn less than Obama for FY 2014.

If Dr. Paul isn't the nominee and if he ran as an independent, then Romney would look like an idiot. A huge majority of the people now oppose foreign wars, so I think Dr. Paul would win the popular vote if he ran in the general and if there wasn't too much fraud.

Fraud, fraud, fraud. How many times am I gonna hear Paulnuts make unfounded claims of fraud. Election fraud happens so rarely that you're actually more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to know someone who committed election fraud. If Paul runs as an independent he'll get about as much vote as he is getting now, he'll come in 3rd or maybe 4th behind some other independent.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The Gorenuts are still wetting the bed and whining about fraud 12 years later, don't think the Paul supporters are going to stop anytime soon. Didn't a Gorenut put up a poll yesterday?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The Gorenuts are still wetting the bed and whining about fraud 12 years later, don't think the Paul supporters are going to stop anytime soon. Didn't a Gorenut put up a poll yesterday?

Aww, come up with a better name for them than Gorenuts. I went with Paulnuts because it rhymes with walnuts. All I ever say about Gore is that he may or may not have won had the recount happened. I believe he would have won if not for the "confusing ballots" (you know old people who just vote party line and have just checked box 2 for years but didn't actually read the ballot and see the layout had changed). I don't call that fraud though, I call that error. Either way I don't see how Gore could have done a worse job than Bush did, but we won't really ever know.

Oct 30, 2004
I think the election will be between the Conservative, Obama and the Liberal, Romney.

If Obama wins, it will be amusing to watch angry Republicans heads explode from all the pressure created by the anger and frustration.

What's most amusing is that they are so critical of Obamacare but cannot put forth their own solution to the problem other than "free market health care" which is a major component of the problem and not a solution. They feel that they are so smart and wise for being able to critique Obamacare while failing to advocate a real solution themselves other than, "Don't get sick, and if you get sick die quickly."

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
No matter who gets the nod for the next four years the taxpayers are still screwed.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
The only thing I can say for sure is that, whether we wake up on November 7th to President GOP-nominee or President Obama, we're still fucked.

Pretty much taxes need to increase by 25% and expenses cut 25% for us to have economic stability again and Fraudsters need to be reigned in for financial system to recover. Neither are talking about those tough things. We are in a debt death spiral which is a slow bleed into abyss.