No brainer prediction, Romney gets nominated only to lose to Obama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It should be pretty simple, really. All Obama has to do is paint Romney as a tool of the Tea Party and he will win.

Nah, the tea party wing of the Republican Party is yesteryear's news. Romney is most vulnerable on his conduct at Bain Capital. It is the rock of his success. Show that Romney's personal success came through looting viable businesses and the destruction of thousands of American jobs and Romney is finished as a candidate.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
This election should have been a slam dunk for Repubs. They failed miserably this go around. People have never felt more disenfranchised with Obama and will not nearly have the hope or enthusiasm they had the last go around. That would have been a critical disadvantage. Too bad for Repubs though they opted to compromise their values and "settle" for someone in their dearest heart of hearts is a consolation prize at best. They champion Romney solely as someone they can barely stand only a little more then the alternative.

Nobody likes him. Democrats don't care for him, obviously. But not even his own party wants him. "I'm not what any of what you wanted, but I'm not Obama" is no way to energize or invigorate your party. What once would have been a critical disadvantage for the Democrats has effectively been made into a level playing field.

Sure. In bizzaro America where we elected our presidents through popular vote. :thumbsdown:

What a mess. Persisting in keeping ridiculous relics of a long gone era like the electoral college just results in people trying to game the system for personal (electoral) gain. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uthern-counties-state-division-Civil-War.html

Gotta' love America.

Those are odds of winning the presidency, not the percentage of popular vote each will take...

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Nah, the tea party wing of the Republican Party is yesteryear's news. Romney is most vulnerable on his conduct at Bain Capital. It is the rock of his success. Show that Romney's personal success came through looting viable businesses and the destruction of thousands of American jobs and Romney is finished as a candidate.

The Bain Consulting/Bain Capital is only really bid deal to loliberals that wouldn't vote for him anyway. Kind of why News great plan of "evil wall street banker" smear was a huge backfire.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
This is pretty much a sure thing.

The GOP made real poor choices in electing a candidate to run against Obama in 2012. The only potential candidate that could have done real well against Obama and maybe win would have been Huntsman.

Unfortunately, the Lord of the Flies situation that occurred within the GOP candidates and the Teaparty influence means we end up with the a unelectable candidate to go against Obama.

Romney will just come off as some caricature of a 1980s Gordon Gekko LBO liquidator, the dude who closed your dads/grandfathers etc.. workplace and sent it to china. To the average working stiff he will be the big elite Wallstreet guy who destroys jobs, gets government bailouts and makes a shit load of money and pay less taxes then you did.

Stuff like the Cayman offshore entities will not help. The working silent majority middle class will despise what he is and he will lose. Obama will win by default as being the less of the evil.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romne...hore-tax-haven/story?id=15378566#.TxnPbWBOpGH

Congrats Tea Party and GOP for handing Obama 4 years on a silver platter.
Not gonna say your prediction if a lock but if I had to predict an outcome, it would be this one also.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
This election should have been a slam dunk for Repubs. They failed miserably this go around. People have never felt more disenfranchised with Obama and will not nearly have the hope or enthusiasm they had the last go around. That would have been a critical disadvantage. Too bad for Repubs though they opted to compromise their values and "settle" for someone in their dearest heart of hearts is a consolation prize at best. They champion Romney solely as someone they can barely stand only a little more then the alternative.

Nobody likes him. Democrats don't care for him, obviously. But not even his own party wants him. "I'm not what any of what you wanted, but I'm not Obama" is no way to energize or invigorate your party. What once would have been a critical disadvantage for the Democrats has effectively been made into a level playing field.

This pretty much covers the current situation. The GOP doesn't seem to want to win this time around IMHO. Or, at least, they're not willing to put much effort into the contest.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
This pretty much covers the current situation. The GOP doesn't seem to want to win this time around IMHO. Or, at least, they're not willing to put much effort into the contest.
beating a sitting president is hard. there's a reason why most are reelected.

and now we're talking about a sitting president who's talking about raising a billion dollars to pump into his reelection campaign.

I don't think it was ever a "slam dunk," and that's why most of the GOP's A-list is sitting out in 2012.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Jimmy Carter and George HW Bush would argue that it's hard to beat a sitting President.
I believe that since WW2, only 3 sitting presidents have lost their bid for reelection, and all of them faced tough primary fights in their reelection bid.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
OBAMA IS A LOCK 2012. Without a doubt.

Lets see how things are going, Romney has the most Delegates. The GOP Primary is in Shambles, with the Candidates fighting over who will restrict womens rights even more than the other and who thumps the bible the loudest. They are squabbling like school children over scraps.

GOP Primary is a Joke.

And remember Bush handed America in a near death near great depression state, and finally after close to 4 years Obama has been able to right the ship and get us in a better economic state.

And the following.

Under Obama.

#1 Bin Laden is dead.
#2 Muammar Gaddafi is dead.
#3 Unemployment is dropping.
#4 Stock Market has been rallying which means retirement accounts growing.
#5 Wallstreet friendly president.
#6 College educated president from a good school.
#7 Does not try to get into peoples bedroom like the GOP are trying to do.
#8 Pulled us out of Iraq, and soon Afghanistan.
#9 Economic indicators all show slow but steady recovery.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
52% to 48% on intrade last i checked, hardly a sure thing my friend.

As a matter of fact, the odds of republicans winning the white hours go UP when Romney's primary winning odds increase.

Bush-Kerry was 50.7 to 48.3 :cool:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It should be pretty simple, really. All Obama has to do is paint Romney as a tool of the Tea Party and he will win.

How is the Massachusetts Governor, founder of Obamacare, anything but the enemy of conservatism? Tool of the Tea Party you say... how nice, anything to paint him as an extremist the way they did McCain.

As if they were ever anything but a Left anchor on the GOP.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Yep, the only thing that might change it is if something happens to energize the Republicans and shift some swing voters over to the right. Something like new gun control laws, racial unrest with protests and Occupy riots during the summer.
Good thing that won't happen right?....right?......right?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

Why The 2012 Election Is Already Over

The media will beat the drum continuously up to the election hammering home the message that Obama can't lose. Most of us will smile a smug little smile. The people who are going to put him on the street don't get loud and don't make waves. They just vote.

Posted on March 22, 2012 by Black & Right
Please don’t mistake this as overconfidence, but I firmly believe what I told Michael Coren on Sun News a couple days ago: President Obama will not be reelected, will be beaten badly, and here are five reasons why….

1: The 2010 MIDTERM MOMENTUM HAS NOT SUBSIDED
Can anyone show me one indicator that proves Republican-conservative-independent anti-Democrat sentiment has cooled since November 2010? The people who wrenched control of the House from Democrats were denied the opportunity to throw out one bum who was saved only because he wasn’t on the ballot. This coming November will be their chance, they know what’s at stake, and they’re counting the days.

2: THE MEDIA SAYS THE RACE WILL BE CLOSE. WHAT ELSE CAN THEY SAY?
The liberal media needs the appearance of some kind of drama to sell newspapers and commercials on their cable and network broadcasts. If they were to admit how disgusted the American people really are, how many have awoken from the “hope and change” trance and won’t make that mistake again, what would be the reason for us to patronize their products? They NEED this to appear close, even though they know they can’t sway popular opinion enough to save Obama this time.

3: OBAMA’S BEING ABANDONED QUICKER THAN SOILED TISSUE
Oil speculators and OPEC aren’t doing much to lower politically-murderous gasoline prices, the campaign dollars aren’t flowing in as predicted, flaky college students made history in 2008 and now find that so yesterday, potential foreign conflicts are not observing the presidential campaign schedule-time out period, and those in his closest circles started looking for the exits months ago.

4: HAD ENOUGH!
President Obama was sold to the American people as the great unifier, but he and his supporters seem to believe if they insult us enough, we’ll just all throw up our hands in surrender and pledge to vote Democrat for life. We’ve been called astroturf, bitter-clingers, racists, misogynists, teabaggers, sluts, cunts, dickheads, retards, and it will only get worse between now and November. As soon as the Republican primary foolishness concludes and the right has their candidate, he will be the “A” in ABO: Anyone But Obama. There may be organized rallies by those who desire promotion, but additional motivation on the right will not be all that necessary (see: 1).

5: OBAMA IS ACTING DEFEATED
In listening to his campaign speeches, he’s not trying to convince the few that are still on the fence to join his side. He’s lashing out. Look at the expensive trips his family have taken recently (and will take in the coming months, guaranteed), and it looks like they’re gettin’ some while the gettin’s good. Obama’s making no attempt to show the American electorate policy compromise, and is even acting like ObamaCare isn’t worth another victory lap. It’s as if he knows the nation he inherits next term will be really fucked up and he’d actually have to work and try to figure things out. Lastly he knows a Republican House AND Senate will make his life miserable.

The Obvious: The economy sucks and it doesn’t appear that fixing the job situation will be a presidential priority (at least for the next eight months).

I think that says it all.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think the election will be between the Conservative, Obama and the Liberal, Romney.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Romney by himself is kinda a blah candidate

This.
Right now he's getting good general election press by his contrast to the Right. ("What, you mean Bloomfield Hills, where the average household pulls in $170k/yr, doesn't raise ignorant Tea Party rednecks? And the affluent, liberal state of Massachusetts isn't known for electing conservatards as its governors?") But put him in the general election where the rest of him is going to be on consistent display and his boringness will be even more obvious than it is now. Romney is a campaigner/con artist -- he can put on a song and dance routine but he doesn't say anything of substance. Romney and Obama aren't very different politically, but Obama has him beat in brains, ideas, and character. So Romney's just the boring, inferior candidate.

I'd like someone else to get the Republican nomination just to make the election in some way interesting. "Obama vs inferior Obama" will be a snoozefest and, in the end, won't really matter either way. (4 years of incremental progress under Obama or 4 years of nothing under Romney isn't a big enough difference to really matter.)

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This election should have been a slam dunk for Repubs. --you really do have issues dontcha?? Noway the election should have been a slam dunk!! How do you figure....the republicans have contributed nothing other than obstructionist politics. I will take longer than 4 years to even begin to clean up after GWB....I want some of what you are smoking!!

They failed miserably this go around. People have never felt more disenfranchised with Obama and will not nearly have the hope or enthusiasm they had the last go around. -- thats not true at all. The only ones who might feel disenfrachised are the onews who think Obama should have been able to turn the Republicans mess around in 4 measly years!!

That would have been a critical disadvantage. Too bad for Repubs though they opted to compromise their values --values?? They never had any values....duh...and "settle" for someone in their dearest heart of hearts is a consolation prize at best. They champion Romney solely as someone they can barely stand only a little more then the alternative. -- who do they have who is electable?? NOBODY!!

Sure. In bizzaro America where we elected our presidents through popular vote. :thumbsdown: --awwwwwww

What a mess. Persisting in keeping ridiculous relics of a long gone era like the electoral college just results in people trying to game the system for personal (electoral) gain. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uthern-counties-state-division-Civil-War.html

Gotta' love America.

You honestly believe a Republican would be electable if there was no electorial college...rofl..hahahaaa

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

The media will beat the drum continuously up to the election hammering home the message that Obama can't lose. Most of us will smile a smug little smile. The people who are going to put him on the street don't get loud and don't make waves. They just vote.

I think the biggest problem facing Republicans is that some of them live in this fantasy world where they completely represent the average American more than anyone else does. Whining about imagined media bias and claiming to speak for America are not a brilliant election strategy, if I'm honest.

Seriously. Obama is very beatable, unless Republicans are so stupid that they launch a campaign of totally alienating everyone who doesn't already agree with them. When it seems totally possible to draw off independents and even some liberals from Obama's camp, why are some righties so insistent on doing everything possible to drive away any chance of crossover appeal by declaring war on non-righties?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I think the biggest problem facing Republicans is that some of them live in this fantasy world where they completely represent the average American more than anyone else does. Whining about imagined media bias and claiming to speak for America are not a brilliant election strategy, if I'm honest.

Seriously. Obama is very beatable, unless Republicans are so stupid that they launch a campaign of totally alienating everyone who doesn't already agree with them. When it seems totally possible to draw off independents and even some liberals from Obama's camp, why are some righties so insistent on doing everything possible to drive away any chance of crossover appeal by declaring war on non-righties?

You're not.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
The Problem with the GOP is they are out of touch. Everything with them seems to be about Gays,Abortion,More religion in government,Contraception.

They just seem a bit out of touch. And this GOP Primary is a huge mess. Obama just needs to sit back and watch them implode.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I think the election will be between the Conservative, Obama and the Liberal, Romney.

Oh come on. While Obama has shown a slight leaning conservative, you can't call Romney a liberal. You can't really call him anything. He's the political equivalent of bipolar. No one knows what his political views are because he has literally changed views within the same sentence before. It's the same reason McCain never stood a chance, he never took a stance to have. He was the most flip floppy candidate I've ever seen, and Romney makes McCain look like the most decisive man alive.