No audio until a system reboot

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
So I have this utterly ridiculous and annoying problem now, here it goes...

I generally keep my headphones unplugged after I am done with them, then shut down the system. On the following day, I turn my system on, login to my profile in Windows 10 and plug-in my headphone, I see that toast pooping up from Realtek HD audio manager that i have plugged in a device, I simply press OK. This has worked for me since ALWAYS. But until recently, after I freshly installed Windows 10, and since then if I plug-in my headphones there is simply no audio whatsoever! I have to reboot the system once to let the audio restore! I mean what sort of friggin problem is this? I uninstalled the Realtek HD manager thingy like three times and downloaded from Asus's website and all that, but to no end!

Please tell me what to do, this problem is driving me crazy AF. Just to be clear, this has not happened ever to me, been using this Windows 10 since its release, and only after this full format and fresh installation it has started!

My system is 6700k, Asus Z170 Pro motherboard and running Windows 10 Pro, Ver. Build 1809 17763.316.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
A guess is that the issue is related to a bug that involves the order in which software drivers have been installed.

I have not kept up with the latest & greatest of the hardware & software, but in the past when, for example, with certain systems the audio wouldnt work unless order of driver installation was followed (eg, audio drivers during installation look for other supported devices such as modems).

Recommend researching what devices in your system rely on audio, then uninstalling them along with the RT audio driver then change the order of installation. You may have to try a bunch of times, but the general order of operations is to install OS, chipset drivers, graphics drivers, network drivers, then sound drivers along with any special drivers that came on a disk with your motherboard.

Good Luck

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I have the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming. When I install Windows 10 it installs it's own Realtek drivers, so I'm not sure how you could control the order of installation. I find most of Asus driver downloads buggy, and it always installs extra crap.

I just left mine at the default drivers and have never had an issue in three years now. If I wanted to update them, I would check Realtek's website.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I know that when my son is done with his headphones sometimes I have to go in to the Windows audio setting (just the speaker icon) and switch it from the headphones to the speakers. I don't bother with the Realtek software.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I formatted and installed Win 10 fresh yesterday, didn't install a single thing from manufacturer's site (Asus), let MS to download everything post-installation and the same problem remains! I really wanna go back to Windows 7 now. Can't deal with this rubbish!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Not sure I understand doing a Windows re-install to fix your problem. If anything, installing Audio Drivers after all of Windows updates would be the best chance of using the Driver's included app to control your headphones.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Not sure I understand doing a Windows re-install to fix your problem. If anything, installing Audio Drivers after all of Windows updates would be the best chance of using the Driver's included app to control your headphones.
Yeah, basically I got frustrated and formatted it LoL.

In any case, I have a question. From where do I install the chipset drivers? As far as I see Windows didn't install it through its built-in updates, unlike the Nvidia driver and audio driver etc.
So should I install it from Asus website or is there a place wherein the updated drivers are posted, as the ones posted on Asus site are really old, obviously.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The chipset drivers for your board are dated last year, so those should be new enough.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
If it's onboard, are there any BIOS settings for power management that might be disconnecting the hardware? I know windows has power management settings as well, but not sure they'd cover onboard stuff as much as whether or not it detects display, hard drive, or processor usage to know when to sleep. The only thing I can think of is if the hardware 'disappears' from the BIOS power management level, it may take a reboot for it to be detected again to reset the addresses.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
If it's onboard, are there any BIOS settings for power management that might be disconnecting the hardware? I know windows has power management settings as well, but not sure they'd cover onboard stuff as much as whether or not it detects display, hard drive, or processor usage to know when to sleep. The only thing I can think of is if the hardware 'disappears' from the BIOS power management level, it may take a reboot for it to be detected again to reset the addresses.
Yeah no. That did come to my mind initially, but later thought its not possible as it started to occur immediately after the 1809 update. Is there a reason why I am not going back to Windows 7 right now?

PS: There are other threads regarding the same, like this- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...9-update/2453bc65-507a-461e-9c99-ab4930e3f0bb

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah no. That did come to my mind initially, but later thought its not possible as it started to occur immediately after the 1809 update. Is there a reason why I am not going back to Windows 7 right now?

PS: There are other threads regarding the same, like this- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...9-update/2453bc65-507a-461e-9c99-ab4930e3f0bb
I pointed the finger at the hardware first because when it's a Windows issue, it's a pain to deal with their support.

I'd scroll past the independent advisor comments and see what real people say worked for them:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...no-sound/508d6f23-80ba-4775-a678-33f6ea573c1f

One guy stated:
Just go to your control pannel and uninstall realtek hd audio driver.
I repeat in controll panel uninstall program.
Dont do anything in device manager.

This is not bug, by default microsoft added dolby and own sonic driver in realtek hd driver, So if u install hd audio it will over ride and disables the audio.

It worked for me. Windows is reducing drivers which all will be included with os in feature.

############
.....and that was supposed to have helped 43 people.... Might be something to try. Good luck.