NO 45nm Yorkdale (quadcore) on NVidia 680i chipset

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah I meant retail chips...lol, only so many ES chips to go around...and most are probably in the hands of XS members :p

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Looks like I'll be trying to find an ES on ebay then when the lower models come out or I'll be selling my 8800 GTX and 680i SLI mobo and picking up a cheaper P35 w/ xfire and two 3870's. Either way it's a hassle.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Nvidia + Intel has really sucked lately...

The only reason i can see going with an Nvidia chipset is if youre going SLI.

They overclock worse, run hotter, and now have unknown support for future products which are drop in upgrades for intel machines (with a bios update).

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
sounds like a class action lawsuit for fraudulent claims.....Nvidia has really gone down hills of late in the motherboard arena...since I switched to Intel cpus back in Sept 2006, I haven't even sniffed a decent Nvidia chipset board.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Actually this does suck, but I'm glad we're atleast getting dual core support. I'll just pick up one of them and try to hit 4ghz+ on air till Nehelam. That should hold me over till I do a new build.

kb2114

May 8, 2006
I'm all for a class-action lawsuit. I was really looking forward to upgrading to a 45nm quad next year but now it looks like I'll just be going with a q6600.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I'm more concerned that the 780i is the same NB and that the 790i is going to be DDR3 only AFAIK. I wouldn't complain too loudly about chucking this EVGA board(even if it supported Yorkdale it wouldn't be able to clock the FSB high enough for decent OCs) if there was a successor chipset that could hit FSB speeds like the P35 and still would accept DDR2.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
aka1nas, but the thing is it doesn't even support the QX9650 which has an unlocked multiplier that some have gotten ES versions to 5ghz + on an Asus Striker. It sucks for the people who went out and bought one so they could OC it and have SLI.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: bfdd
aka1nas, but the thing is it doesn't even support the QX9650 which has an unlocked multiplier that some have gotten ES versions to 5ghz + on an Asus Striker. It sucks for the people who went out and bought one so they could OC it and have SLI.

I don't think that most people who can afford a $1000+ CPU and matching pair of high-end GPUs will bat an eye on dropping an extra $150 on a new motherboard.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm still not convinced that you won't be able eventually to run the Yorkfield on some 680i motherboard(s).

I've been running the Striker Extreme, which has been shrouded in controversy and ambivalent consumer-reviews at reseller sites. I haven't had trouble with it.

I switched from E6600 to Q6600 in late July, early August. By that time, BIOS revisions appeared for the board which cited among the "fixes and improvements" the better ability to overclock newer CPUs.

The ASUS website shows the board as certified for the Wolfdale 45nm Penryn. The box in the Yorkfield column is blank. It was either Anandtech or THG which posted a recent review offering a summary of Penryn compatibility for various motherboards, including the 680i's and other "last-year" Intel chipsets. They asserted that the Striker would be compatible through a BIOS fix with Penryn 45nm in general, without offering any distinction on the Wolfdale vs Yorkfield issue.

The only thing to do is wait and see. And since ASUS and others DID tout "45nm compatibility," I'd certainly support some "class-action" or other organized response. I can see no logical reason why a "double-Wolfdale" processor would not be accommodated to these boards if they were made to work just fine with the Kentsfield quads.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
So far, it only seems that the reference 680i design and one of the Asus boards has been "confirmed" by EVGA and XFX to not support 45nm quads.

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: BonzaiDuck
I'm still not convinced that you won't be able eventually to run the Yorkfield on some 680i motherboard(s).

I've been running the Striker Extreme, which has been shrouded in controversy and ambivalent consumer-reviews at reseller sites. I haven't had trouble with it.

I switched from E6600 to Q6600 in late July, early August. By that time, BIOS revisions appeared for the board which cited among the "fixes and improvements" the better ability to overclock newer CPUs.

The ASUS website shows the board as certified for the Wolfdale 45nm Penryn. The box in the Yorkfield column is blank. It was either Anandtech or THG which posted a recent review offering a summary of Penryn compatibility for various motherboards, including the 680i's and other "last-year" Intel chipsets. They asserted that the Striker would be compatible through a BIOS fix with Penryn 45nm in general, without offering any distinction on the Wolfdale vs Yorkfield issue.

The only thing to do is wait and see. And since ASUS and others DID tout "45nm compatibility," I'd certainly support some "class-action" or other organized response. I can see no logical reason why a "double-Wolfdale" processor would not be accommodated to these boards if they were made to work just fine with the Kentsfield quads.

Kyle Bennett over at HardOcp is trying to Help the Situation thru exposing the true issues.

There is More Info in this thread in MOBO's:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2123906&enterthread=y

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Looks like I'll be trying to find an ES on ebay then when the lower models come out or I'll be selling my 8800 GTX and 680i SLI mobo and picking up a cheaper P35 w/ xfire and two 3870's. Either way it's a hassle.

lol it might be cheaper to just sell your 680i.

Trust me, SLI + intel is not worth the headache if you overclock.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Even beyond that, I can only see SLI'ing midrange nVidia GPUs. The performance on the high-end boards is enough, and the power-consumption doesn't seem worth it.

Did nVidia ever plan to release a dual-GPU version of the 8x00 cards like the 7950 GX2?

But again -- for the money? With this level of single-card performance? I don't see the point. Higher 3DMark06 scores, to be sure, but no boost in performance to the rest of the system.

That makes alternative chipsets like the P35 and flagship Intel versions much more palatable and acceptable as options. And even though I"ve no reason at the moment to dump my 680i, you wonder if nVidia might better have served themselves by finding ways to reduce power consumption while increasing performance on their GPUs, instead of "branching out" in the chipset and motherboard market.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Originally posted by: aigomorla

lol it might be cheaper to just sell your 680i.

Trust me, SLI + intel is not worth the headache if you overclock.

True that, but I'm thinking of just picking up an E8500 when they come out and trying to push it to above the 4ghz barrier on air with this mobo(if i can!), then doing a whole new build when nehalem comes out, keep my same case cause I love this case it's the nicest one I've ever had. Take this current system and make it a secondary rig or something I don't know. I probably won't go with an nvidia chipset next time around, just XFire whatever the best cards ATI is putting out. I've had top of the line nvidia cards for quite awhile now starting with the Geforce 2 Ultra when that came out, only strayed away twice for a 9800 Pro and X800 GTO.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Once again, we tend to jump on bandwagons here among forum veterans, and I've been no exception to the rule. But I DID take time early last year to see how my own 680i board was shaping up in forum posts and reviews -- six months after its release. It has limitations, but I'll only be retiring the 680i boards when there's a clearer vision about successors and substitutes, and a long enough trail of BIOS revisions for the newer options.

Incidentally -- I could almost post this in a separate thread: Does anyone have observations and proven experience on the prospects of migrating OS, software and hard-disks to a board with a different chipset? I would think it would follow this general outline:

1) uninstall old motherboard chipset drivers
2) move hardware and disks to the new board
3) install the new chipset drivers for the new board.

Anyone care to comment on that?