NNNOOO!!! Cubs about to clinch their division.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2001
If it's a Cubs vs. Red Sox world series...the universe may not be able to handle the outcome and we may all die as the universe explodes.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
If it's a Cubs vs. Red Sox world series...the universe may not be able to handle the outcome and we may all die as the universe explodes.

I agree. But it won't be. The Giants will take care of the Cubs.

:D

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: mpitts
Originally posted by: PoPPeR if the braves lose to the cubs in the first round... omfg...
Don't think it isn't possible. With the Cubs pitching and the Braves noted disappearance of offense in the post-season. Couple that with the Braves lackluster record in post-season play. Mwhahaha!
This is all in good fun, so I'm just going to correct a couple of things :) Never had we had an offense like the one we have now. You can't compare other years offenses to this one, being a "Brave" doesn't mean you suddenly can't hit in the postseason... players either hit or don't, and we've yet to see if our new group of players will indeed perform in the postseason.

The Braves have an excellent postseason record. They have an atrocious world-series record, but this is the division series, where the Braves had never lost until last year to the Giants.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
The Braves have an excellent postseason record. They have an atrocious world-series record, but this is the division series, where the Braves had never lost until last year to the Giants.
The Cardinals jumped all over the Braves in the 2000 Division Series and ran them out of the playoffs. But yeah, overall the Braves have advanced to quite a few NLCS.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Go cubs!

but they only clinched a TIE. they still have the 2nd game of the double header.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: PoPPeR if the braves lose to the cubs in the first round... omfg...
Don't think it isn't possible. With the Cubs pitching and the Braves noted disappearance of offense in the post-season. Couple that with the Braves lackluster record in post-season play. Mwhahaha!
This is all in good fun, so I'm just going to correct a couple of things :) Never had we had an offense like the one we have now. You can't compare other years offenses to this one, being a "Brave" doesn't mean you suddenly can't hit in the postseason... players either hit or don't, and we've yet to see if our new group of players will indeed perform in the postseason.

I agree with what you say about the Braves offense. I live in Atlanta and watch a lot of Braves games. Their offense this year is much better than any other Braves offense I have seen over this 12 year span. Regardless, the Braves' bats seem to go south when the playoffs come around.

That being said, their middle relief is NOT GOOD. And Smoltz needs to get back on track. He blew a two-run lead in the 9th today.

Not true. The Braves in the playoffs over the past five years:

1998 - Lose to Padres in NLCS
1999 - Lose to Yankees in WS
2000 - Lose to Diamondbacks in NLCS
2001 - Lose to Cardinals in NLDS
2002 - Lose to Giants in NLDS

They don't have a good playoff record PERIOD. Especially over the past five years.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
I agree with what you say about the Braves offense. I live in Atlanta and watch a lot of Braves games. Their offense this year is much better than any other Braves offense I have seen over this 12 year span. Regardless, the Braves' bats seem to go south when the playoffs come around. That being said, their middle relief is NOT GOOD. And Smoltz needs to get back on track. He blew a two-run lead in the 9th today.
Not true. The Braves in the playoffs over the past five years: 1998 - Lose to Padres in NLCS 1999 - Lose to Yankees in WS 2000 - Lose to Diamondbacks in NLCS 2001 - Lose to Cardinals in NLDS 2002 - Lose to Giants in NLDS They don't have a good playoff record PERIOD. Especially over the past five years.
Whoops, forgot about 2001 loss to Cardinals in nlds. Sure, the past 5 years have ended with losses, but besides the Yankees, there isn't a team more likely to reach the NLDS or World Series then the Braves.

Dracos

Jun 10, 2001
As a fan of a team that choked when they reallly needed not to, White Sox, and a true enemy of the Cubs I feel soooooo detested. Now my gf will just rib me all of postseason. UGHHHHHHHHHH. How come the Twins couldn't choke like the Astros.....:disgust:

zbalat

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why the hell is WGN airing the SOX game right now? I had to watch the Cubs clinch on the internet. Nice job WGN.

Choralone

Dec 2, 1999
Originally posted by: zbalat
Why the hell is WGN airing the SOX game right now? I had to watch the Cubs clinch on the internet. Nice job WGN.

The Cubs game was on FOX Sports Net. One of the big reason's why I have a dish. :)

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: lager
Someone check Sammy's bat!!

Didn't see that post coming
rolleye.gif

Pr0Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
CUBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO WOO!

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
I can't wait to see Cubs get slapped around by the Braves.

2003 Braves are the most complete team assembled.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Beelzebub is down there with a blow torch trying to get the pilot to Hell started again.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Bloody Hell! The Cubs win their division!

Congratulations to the Cubs and all the long suffering Cub fans out there!