NJ governor Christie announces takeover of struggling Camden schools

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
He gave them ample time to turn things around, but since it's clear they couldn't fix anything it's time to try something different.

Of course the reality is that no school system can be successful when you have idiot parents and districts where 90% of kids are born out of wedlock and most don't speak English.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Oh boy. no sex ed, more religion, etc? :p

Nope, I don't want any religion in school. Here's a novel idea, how about they teach actual math, reading, writing and so forth?

Either way, like I said, it all starts with the parent(s) of the kids, so they're facing an uphill battle from the start.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Good luck to him. Not a responsibility I'd be volunteering for.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Nope, I don't want any religion in school. Here's a novel idea, how about they teach actual math, reading, writing and so forth?

Either way, like I said, it all starts with the parent(s) of the kids, so they're facing an uphill battle from the start.

I'm a religious person to some degree (not a fundie though).

I balk at the idea of my kids learning about religion in a public school. I want them learning how to add and use their brains!

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I think if Christie is going to do this he should focus on key things:

- Bring back tradeskill courses (1 class a year, for a total of 4) and make at least one mandatory for graduation; Electric, Automotive, Construction, etc.
- Bring in basic accounting, and investment courses along with an economics (I don't care what it is Austrain, Chicago School or Keynsian) elective course
- Make homework extra credit and not part of the actual grade.
- "Try" and make all classes cooperative, meaning for math don't just sit there for 90 minutes reading from a book and writing on the board. Create classroom competition and get the students more involved with each other and have them help each other out.

The first two esspecially because it seems to me like we are not trying to set our children up for success, we just think 100% of them are going to goto college and get their PhD which is absurd. We should give them alternatives to either a HS diploma or a college degree.