norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Im wondering how many of the right wingers in P&N are going to feel about Nixon saying this.

C23ZYZhW8AEnbGl.jpg

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Im wondering how many of the right wingers in P&N are going to feel about Nixon saying this.

C23ZYZhW8AEnbGl.jpg

Sounds fairly typical of people belonging to his generation. They aren't evil people, just folks who grew up in a very different world and whose views have sometimes not caught up to the expectations of today. In their somewhat defense, they did raise kids and grandkids whose views are much more noble on that count.

Nov 25, 2013
Sounds fairly typical of people belonging to his generation. They aren't evil people, just folks who grew up in a very different world and whose views have sometimes not caught up to the expectations of today. In their somewhat defense, they did raise kids and grandkids whose views are much more noble on that count.

Race%2C_Evolution%2C_and_Behavior%2C_first_edition.jpg

Look him up.

btw, 1st edition was in 1995.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I have so many corporate stories in various forms of people of various races/genders pushers that were racist/religiously biased in upper management it is ridiculous.

I don't bother to mention most of them ever, several were busted over time.

Minorities can be as racist as anyone, and some others are some of the coolest people you would ever meet.

Cogs in the Wheel, Bricks in the Wall.

Reactions: Meghan54

vampirefo

Nov 30, 2014
Well without living under Nixon, not knowing the man, and yet living under The Obama I would have to say he was better president.

Obama being the worst president in history any president would be better than Obama.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I have so many corporate stories in various forms of people of various races/genders pushers that were racist/religiously biased in upper management it is ridiculous.

I don't bother to mention most of them ever, several were busted over time.

Minorities can be as racist as anyone, and some others are some of the coolest people you would ever meet.

Cogs in the Wheel, Bricks in the Wall.

Go back to the last century and look at those who not only thought many races were inferior but needed to be bred out. Eugenics didn't stare with Hitler and some mightly respected folks shared a common and positive perspective regarding eugenics.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

C23ZYZhW8AEnbGl.jpg

Even reputable sources like an HR book will tell you that it's unknown what cultural, genetic or environmental factors result in blacks and some other groups scoring lower on cognitive ability tests.

Btw, don't know why you're surprised about that. It wasn't long ago that prominent officials were into eugenics.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Yeah, I mean what he said was pretty racist but I agree that it was in line with what people generally thought at the time and I don't really have a problem with it as people are a product of their times. He was maybe even a bit more enlightened, in fact. When he was making that comment only around 40% of Americans thought that interracial marriage was okay. (for real, think how insane that is) When you view his comments in that context it suddenly doesn't seem so bad, haha.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
New Im wondering how many of the right wingers in P&N are going to feel about Nixon saying this.

Differences between groups of people? Anyone to speak of that has been banned. Not sure what sort of commentary you hoped to find.
As for Asia, clearly he saw China and moved to entangle us with them for the greater good.
I do believe our great trade relations have forestalled WW3 and helped build a relationship vial to future of the human race.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
If he hadn't been so paranoid that he pulled the Watergate stunt he's probably be viewed favorably, just on improved relations with China.
He also created the EPA and was the President when we left Vietnam. Most of his more horrible/immoral/illegal stuff wasn't known to the public.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah, I mean what he said was pretty racist

It is probably true that there are racial differences in intelligence. This does not mean all blacks are dumb, etc., nor does it mean that someone who believes so will act discriminatory. There are many racial genetic differences, so it's not hard to believe. Also, even with all the advancements, the black-white IQ gap still hasn't narrowed that much. No one can tell you how much is cultural, environmental, or genetic.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Differences between groups of people? Anyone to speak of that has been banned. Not sure what sort of commentary you hoped to find.
As for Asia, clearly he saw China and moved to entangle us with them for the greater good.
I do believe our great trade relations have forestalled WW3 and helped build a relationship vial to future of the human race.

I wasnt actually speaking about conservatives who are against racism, I know there are at least a few of them around, just like there are a few good leftists around in this god forsaken cesspool known as Earth.

I was actually talking about the white right wingers who are racist, only to see a former Republican president call them inferior to Asians.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
It is probably true that there are racial differences in intelligence. This does not mean all blacks are dumb, etc., nor does it mean that someone who believes so will act discriminatory. There are many racial genetic differences, so it's not hard to believe. Also, even with all the advancements, the black-white IQ gap still hasn't narrowed that much. No one can tell you how much is cultural, environmental, or genetic.

There are certainly some biological differences, Melanesians have better ability to understand non-tonal languages for instance, but many if not most of those differences are going to be specific and banal. Most of the major differences between ethnic groups today can be explained by environmental and cultural factors, meaning nutrition, sociological influences, and access to education and prosperity. Which is why Asians often so outperform other groups. If someone hasnt read up on Asian education and sociological pressures before, they should probably do so to get an understanding of what its like over there.

A good example of this is the major height differences between ethnicities and countries, and how they have had major changes over time after changes in prosperity. There are still some differences, and most of the remaining differences after gaining access to good nutrition can indeed be explained by genetics, but the differences between groups are now relatively small, and much smaller than they used to be. A good example that shows this in perfect clarity is the current differences in height between South Koreans and North Koreans.

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

And even to ask for such a study no matter how unbiased the scientific method someone tries to employ is a no go due to the societal taboos they would come up against.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
America in the aggregate sense has some of these racial biases that he is talking about. Asians, for example, receive the highest pay based on similar field and education, the only explanation of that is that they are expected to be better simply because of their race.

Equal opportunity resentment certainly exists, but him saying "too far for their own good?" That's pretty insane.

Asians dominating the world by mid 21st century? Not likely, and not this current Chinese regime, they are too oppressive, there eventually is going to be lower / middle class pushback that is going to send that country in for a pretty big reset. Still a lot of time left on that one, so you never know.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

C23ZYZhW8AEnbGl.jpg
I find the last two sentences the most important: "A lot of people are just as racist now, but it's not fashionable anymore--and I think that's damned important. You can't talk about blacks like you once did."

We have advanced as a society to the point where a person can harbor their racial biases inside to at least a point of plausible deniability. I think many are even more successful at convincing themselves that the racial biases do not exist.

And this is the consequence of the driving force here being the fact that you will be shamed for appearing racist. That only gets us so far.