Nitrous Oxide?

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
We're considering getting it for my freinds car...more info here, and I'm wondering if anyone heres had experince with it and could tell me the pros/cons. According to the guy at the place where we were lookin at it (AutoCrafting by RIT in Rochester, NY) he says it is basically a fool-proof system, flip a switch when ya wanna use it. We're considering getting it because when you hammer on the car, it gets REALLLY hot(I mean REALLY hot...not too sure of the exact temps, will get em later) So the guy was saying if we were to get this it would not only cool it down, but add 50-90 hp to it. Anyone have any oppinons/pros/cons?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
well, it will probably lower the life span of the car. Its a kick fix to win races, but, i wouldnt use it. It's like chewing nicorette to quit smoking =]. bad analogy.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Well if it's done right it can be good.. but it takes more then just bolting it on to be good. you have to make sure your injectors and everything can handle it.. Blowers are betta =) They are on 100% of the time :)

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
We'd have everything professionally installed...dont know jack about that stuff really...

<< Blowers are betta =) They are on 100% of the time >>

Already got one, check the site I linked to ;)

xraymongral

Banned
Nov 25, 2000
Might be a good idea to find out wht his car is overheating and fix that before ya worry about nitrous.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

<< We'd have everything professionally installed...dont know jack about that stuff really...

<< Blowers are betta =) They are on 100% of the time >>

Already got one, check the site I linked to ;)
>>

Oh okay cool didn't see the link... So your running a P600B then?

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Fuel delivery systems are critical on any NOS enhanced engine. Run it lean and you're looking at a fried piston which is no laughing matter. :)

Cheers!

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000

<< Might be a good idea to find out wht his car is overheating and fix that before ya worry about nitrous. >>

Everyones sayin its running so hot because of all the mods done to it sofar...needs better air flow...so gonna get a ram air hood then figure out the nitrous situation..

<<
Oh okay cool didn't see the link... So your running a P600B then?
>>

Not exactuly sure what you mean...like I said im posting for a freind and I dont really know too much about this stuff...

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
BTW, it would only be used when somones messin around with us...like today for example this guy in a new Z28 with an LS1 pulled up next to us, was 2 car lenghts ahead, we floored it and went flying past em...just want the nitrous to enhance this effect =)

Redneck

May 20, 2000
I might ask some more questions, that shop sounds kinda fishy saying that it would cool the engine down. Nitrous will cool the intake charge, allowing for more HP, but it wont do anything to cool the water temp. But then again, when you are refering to the water temperature and not the exhaust gas temperature?

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
nitrous can have a doubling effect on a boosted engine. It both increases oxygen molecules, and lowers the charge temperature. Its not uncommon for a 50 shot of nitrous on a FI v8 to produce nearly 100 hp at the wheels. You have to be careful with fueling and timing retard or you'll detonate your pistons into many pieces or blow the head gaskets apart.

You know this about fueling and timing if you have a blower already, i assume.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000

<< Nitrous will cool the intake charge, allowing for more HP >>

They said something along the lines that it would cool the air going into the engine...thats what runs really hot after you work the engine...

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000

<< nitrous can have a doubling effect on a boosted engine. It both increases oxygen molecules, and lowers the charge temperature. Its not uncommon for a 50 shot of nitrous on a FI v8 to produce nearly 100 hp at the wheels. You have to be careful with fueling and timing retard or you'll detonate your pistons into many pieces or blow the head gaskets apart.

You know this about fueling and timing if you have a blower already, i assume.
>>

Thats what we were told...probobly going to go with a 50 shot nitrous, and the guys at the shop said it would put out about 75-100 more horses. Like I said before, I'm just posting this for a freind who doesnt access the forums, and I dont know alot about this stuff..I was hopin the info on the site I linked would tell you enough about the car.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

<< They said something along the lines that it would cool the air going into the engine...thats what runs really hot after you work the engine... >>

So its not the water temps you're talking about then? It will cool the intake charge, but how do you know the incoming air is getting that hot? Have you put a thermocouple in the manifold to measure it?
Nitrous is great when its done right, but if you don't know what you're doing with it, it will cause major carnage.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
I'm gonna have to get some more info from em and post back later..not to sure of the answers to some of the questions...

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Assuming thats a good intercooler, try to run some ducting to it, or get it down lower in the path of air. Thats the main thing that will cool the intake charge. If its the water temperature thats high though, get that under control before trying to add any more power!

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
nah nitrous cools the charge temp much better than any intercooler :)

if you are not too daring and have a good intercooler, jet the nitrous (dry) to spray onto the intercooler. A good 50 shot will produce maybe 20hp SAFELY by freezing the intercooler thus reducing charge temps. Remember nitrous is not explosive without gas, so its pretty safe to do if your car has no exhaust leaks.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Now that ya mention the intercooler, im 100% sure that its not the water temp thats too high. Today we were talking about getting a new/custom intercooler etc, so more air gets exposed to it, removing the fog lights up front, and ducting them into it or somethin like that, to help it cool down a bit. It only gets extremely hot when you slam on the engine really hard, so we we're thinking if nitrous helps keep the temps down, and gives it more hp, it would work great, since its only hot when you slam on it, and when we do, we'd use the nitrous. Thanks for all the oppinions etc guys!

<< if you are not too daring and have a good intercooler, jet the nitrous (dry) to spray onto the intercooler. A good 50 shot will produce maybe 20hp SAFELY by freezing the intercooler thus reducing charge temps. Remember nitrous is not explosive without gas, so its pretty safe to do if your car has no exhaust leaks. >>

We could care less about the engine, if it goes we'll just throw a better one in there ;) money isnt that big of an issue, but were tryin to get the best bang for the buck, staying away from turbos etc.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

<< nah nitrous cools the charge temp much better than any intercooler >>

Well yeah, I meant as far as like getting a ram air hood and stuff. Just getting as much air to flow past the intercooler as possible is very important in keeping the intake temps down!

<< It only gets extremely hot when you slam on the engine really hard, so we we're thinking if nitrous helps keep the temps down >>

See when you say that I think you're refering to water temperatures, in which case nitrous would probably raise your water temperature more than lower it, even though it lowers in teh intake charge. Most of the heat in the combustion chamber is from combustion. The more fuel you add in (you'll add more per cycle with nos running) the more heat is created, and the more cooling you need. So if the water temperature is whats hot, I dont see how nitrous could help there.

Rednect has a good point! I see he has an adjustable feul pressure regulator, how is he tuning it? Air/fuel guage off an oxygen sensor or an EGT guage?

Redneck

May 20, 2000
dont neglect the basics, make sure all the connections in the intake are secure, and check for hose/intercooler leaks. does your friend have boost and EGT guages? If your already lean on the top end, adding nitrous just adds to the risk of leaning out the motor, because it requires additional fuel too. Sounds like he needs the fuel map redone to give more fuel when the boost cranks up. What all fueling mods does he have now?

EDIT- we really need to know whats running hot. Water temp? intake air temp? exhaust gas temp?

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Ok...I'll post tonight, im going to show em the thread and ask em the questions. I really appreicate your guys help.

<< does your friend have boost and EGT guages? >>

Not right now...we were looking at those today also...but they only seem to make a 2-pod enclosure for the gauges, he was going to get boost and fuel pressure I beleive it was...I take it EGT = Exaust gas temp?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Right on EGT, so how is he setting his adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Does he have any way of telling how rich he is or is he just guessing?

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000

<< Right on EGT, so how is he setting his adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Does he have any way of telling how rich he is or is he just guessing? >>

I'll ask em tonight, might not be to sure since he doesnt really mess with that, leaves it all up to his mechanic...

<< Thanks a lot dude.. your site crashed IE. >>

Damn virtualavenue...gotta find a new host that I can run UBB on :)

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
when adding power adders its important to throw your car on a dyno with a wideband co-meter (same thing pollution places use). It will measure your motors air/fuel ratio and plot it on a graph under full load across the rpm spectrum. You'll see if you are running lean/rich where it counts, under WOT ..